“Awesome Day of Diving”

and up
Discover Scuba Diving in Simpson Bay
Ranked #1 of 39 Tours in Simpson Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: At Ocean Explorers we believe that who you dive with is as important as the diving itself… Small groups, personalized attention and a relaxed atmosphere are what we offer on a daily basis. From outstanding reefs to fantastic wrecks, our waters are warm and inviting and the marine life abundant and friendly. Our Caribbean dive shop is located under the waving palms by this tranquil Kim Sha beach on the beautiful Caribbean island St. Maarten.
St. Maarten
“Awesome Day of Diving”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Jef, NIcole and Jeremy along with the guys and gals onshore did an awesome job. This is a one of a kind operation. Everyone really enjoys what they are doing.

westfield, ma, usa
“Great Experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

March 12, 2013
After more than 2 decades away from diving, the staff at Ocean Explorers made me feel very comfortable in the water while at the same time making sure my return was a safe one. I dove off the boat with Russel H's family and another couple on a two tank dive. The dive master was very close until she was certain of my comfort level and proficiency in the water at depth. We were shown the items of interest at each site and returned with plenty of time for the 20 minute trip back to the cruise ship harbor. I enthusiastically recommend Ocean Explorers and thank them for a great experience. Since I had been away from diving for so long and did not have any specific expectations of service, a review of what I saw and did may be of more use to readers.

Ocean Explorers asked me to arrive early, get fitted with rental equipment, review basics in the water and watch a video before our dives. These activities were certainly reasonable and made me feel better about myself in the water and them as a dive operation. The equipment was functional and performed well on the dives. I was provided a short wet suit, mask, bcd, weight belt, and fins.

Prior to staff loading my equipment on the boat, they asked me to verify the PSI of air in my tank, test my regulator, and show them the other items of equipment. I also watched them perform the same checks with the other divers. A clear standard of operation with each diver was evident. Though I don't recall whether it was Russel or his wife, but they asked an adult to perform the same equipment checks on behalf of their 13 year old son. The tanks / BCDs were loaded on the boat by staff. We received a description of the dive operating procedure preferred by OE followed by our surf embarkation.

The boat was approximately 30'-35' in length and had two, 250-300hp motors. Our ride to the dive sites were quick and efficient. At the dive site, we were given a briefing of what to expect and they helped us into the water in pairs. In addition, experienced divers were given the option to remain with our group or go off on their own.

At depth, dive master Cayley pointed out the marine life and often used a flash light to do so. Her knowledge of the area was evident as barracuda George was found where she expected him to be. In addition, she monitored our bouyancy and adjusted weights accordingly. Lastly, Cayley monitored our air supply, both visually and via inquiry.

Other staff (Nicole and Dan?) helped us back into the boat and switched our tanks while we enjoyed the provided chilled bottled water.

On the second dive, we explored a barge inhabited by monster lobster, both under and inside. The passage ways were large enough for Cayley to guide each of us a short distance through without danger of entanglement or becoming disorientated.

Upon return, we were thanked for our patronage by staff and they began to prepare for the next group of divers. At the dive shop, Lu asked each of us if we enjoyed our dives and offered to document them in our logs.

Thanks again for a great experience.

Melissa, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“First Class Service!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were a bit apprehensive about our first time diving in St. Maarten. I had studied a ton of reviews and we settled on Ocean Explorers Dive Center to handle our two tank dive while we were in port for a day.

I don't want to overstate things, but we were really blown away by the service and the care that we were given. The dive masters handled much more than we were used to. While we are not complete beginners, we are not seasoned divers either. We were made to feel very comfortable and felt very safe the entire time.

The shop runs a couple of small boats so the dives are very intimate. For example, our dive consisted of five divers, one captain and two dive masters. We had our 13 year old diving with us (I really think he is the best diver of our bunch!) and I felt like we were shown all of the exciting things that were available for us to see and discover during our dives.

I would not only highly recommend Ocean Explorers to anyone looking for a great dive shop, but I will definitely be using them the next time we are in St. Maarten. We are considering a week long stay next year there and will be diving many days with Luciana and her crew...oh did I mention that our dive masters were ladies?

Oakville, Connecticut
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I decided to do one tank dive and the shark dive with Ocean Explorers on March 7, 2013 and it was one of our best choices ever. We have done shark dives before in the Bahamas but this was so much better. We can't wait to dive with them again. What an amazing 2 dives we had. Such an outstanding group of people. Highly recommended. Thanks so much Jeff, Jeremy and Jesse! You guys are #1 by far!!!

Flemington, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Yup, still great!!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Lu & Jef run a safe, professional operation in a warm and caring way. That is a winning combination for a scuba operation in my view. Small numbers, personal attention, and a willingness to be flexible is why I come back.
Now if they could just warm up the Sea a couple of degrees in March! :)