“Great diving with a great Divemaster”

Ocean Explorers Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 39 Tours in Simpson Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: At Ocean Explorers we believe that who you dive with is as important as the diving itself… Small groups, personalized attention and a relaxed atmosphere are what we offer on a daily basis. From outstanding reefs to fantastic wrecks, our waters are warm and inviting and the marine life abundant and friendly. Our Caribbean dive shop is located under the waving palms by this tranquil Kim Sha beach on the beautiful Caribbean island St. Maarten.
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We love diving with Jeferson at Ocean Explorers because he knows the waters and where the great dive spots are located. I've never seen so many turtles on one dive as I did in March 2011. He's extremely respectuful of the wildlife and gives great photography tips. He's not far from where the cruise ships dock, so you can book on your own which is what we did. Or dive with him while staying in St. Maarten which we've done in the past. We plan on going back to St. Maarten and highly recommend Jeferson at Ocean Explorers DiveCenter.

1  Thank nbuddynan

Reviewed March 31, 2011

These guys are great. The whole staff was very pleasant and extremely helpful. Jefferson (Dive Master) has been diving these waters for 14 years + (hope I have that correct) and I doubt there's anyone that knows the waters and reefs better than him. Also, he's a fantastic photographer so you'll get good video and pictures from the dives you do. Trust me, you'll want the video after swimming with the sharks!

1  Thank wolff54
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I was completely amazed by the knowledge and service given us by Jef and Lu. Since the dive boat comes right to the beach/shop, we were able to change into our gear at the shop to make sure things fit and worked. Jef did some work on my dive mask to make sure it didn't fog during the dive. No one ever did that before. When we were set, all our dive equipment was moved to the boat for us. My husband and I have only done 2 other "ocean" dives so we were expecting the usual 8-12 divers, bobbing on the surface while everyone gets in and ready, etc., so we were surprised to see that there would only be 4 of us on this dive.

The dives were a short boat ride from the shop. Jef has underwater moorings so no other dive boats were near us. Top secret spots! Besides the mooring line, Jef attaches two weighted lines to the boat and throws them over so there are three ways to descend. Once in the water, we were told to go ahead and descend and to wait at the bottom. It felt so nice to be treated like divers and not a herd of sheep. At the bottom, Jef immediately realized my husband and I were slightly overweighted and corrected it for us. We saw a couple sting rays burrowed under the sand and a sea turtle as the highlights of that dive.

As we motored to the next site, Jef told us we would be diving some bridge wreckage from the 1940's and some sailboats. I thought, "Really, we're diving debris?" But the bridge section was my favorite dive EVER! The sea life was so astounding that I didn't want to leave! Wish I had brought my dive camera to this one. We were much better weighted so we barely used any air making for a very long dive.

During both dives, Jef always made sure we were nearby, but let us explore with our buddies as we wished. He gave clear briefings on the surface so we knew what was expected of us and what we could expect of him. He was very laid back and calm but you knew he was in charge and paying attention. It was a joy to dive with him and to be treated like adults We don't get to St Maarten very often, but I may make this a destination in the future just to dive with Ocean Explorer's.

1  Thank Arcnadius
Reviewed March 21, 2011

From my first phone call with Lu i could tell she cared about peoples welfare and comfort . She gave me advise on all the things we needed to know ,transportation local facilities etc and took time to listen to my concerns and the concerns of our group of 8

divers. Which is more than i can say for the other dive shops i contacted on the island! I found Jeff to be very helpful and his love for the ocean is evident in his pre dive breifings . Some of our divers were chilly on a couple of dives and with no mention of money were loaned suit and hoods to keep them comfortable. Jeff also made us a very professional Dvd at no cost to me to copy and give to our group. All his staff were very helpful and joined in with our fun and teasing like we had known them for years.All i can say is we will definataly be back and my choice of dive company has been made really easy! Keep up the good work see you in the future everyone at Red Deil Scuba!

1  Thank RedDevilScuba
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Jef and Lu are running a fine operation at Ocean Explorers. I completed 14 dives with them during the week of March 7th and had an awesome time.

The dive staff: Andre, Cayley, Astried, Shane and of course Jef provide me with all of the underwater excitement and marvels that could be imagined. We went to numerous wrecks and reefs, and although we did go to a couple of dive sites twice, I was never bored as I don't remember seeing anything twice and I was provided excellent opportunities for photo's, which I took.

My wife and I will be returning to St. Maaten in March 2012 and will dive with Ocean Explorers when I do. I highly recommend Ocean Explorers to anyone who dives when they visit the island.

1  Thank zrsteve