“very nice and clean”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Gardner, Massachusetts
“very nice and clean”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We had a 1 bedroom, it was nice and clean, the bathroom is a bit small and be prepared for the noise when you flush the toilet, also there always seemed to be a smell coming from the toilet. We stayed in the B building on the 4th floor, excellent views and relaxing private deck, the property is a bit spread out but they do have an excellent shuttle service that arrives quickly. the beaches are nice but small, there is an excellent beach over at the golf course and a great place to take sunset pics. There was some construction noise but it wasn't bad and they didn't start very early. We will definitely come back here again

4 Thank Mike_W63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying at Simpson Bay Resort for our first time in St. Martin. Our room was on the Marina building with a balcony facing the bay. We made love on the balcony every night with privacy and a starlight view. Our room was clean and a/c cold. Beaches and pools were clean. I did snorkel on the beach and I saw many fish including a baby Octopus and a huge Stingray which was more than I saw on a snorkeling trip we took. Everything you can possibly want its on or walking distance from this resort. Staff (Steve, Javier, Elvis, Junior and the beach bbq cook) was friendly and courteous. Great restaurants and bars including a Casino called Hollywood. Rent a car and explore the Island its easy and awesome. We are already planing a trip to Simpson Bay Resort next year.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MrPalm
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This wasn't our first time here. We got upgraded to a suite with a beautiful view to the Simpson Bay area when checked-in. Rooms have been remodeled recently with new beds, new floors, new wall colors, new decor and new kitchen equipment. Service and attention at front desk was superb. Unfortunately for our discomfort, our bathroom had a constant smell to urine during the whole stay. We notified housekeeping to take care of it, but no changes were made.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms with ocean view.
2 Thank ingedino
Japan
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is close to airport and I had ocean view room. The room was clean and nice. View from the balcony was fantastic. You can see airplane flying. I wish they have free wifi...But overall, I was satisfied with everything.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank cherina14
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I enjoyed my time here. There were both pro's and con's whilst I stayed here. I had a room in the old building, which I have heard is getting refurbished. However, if you can avoid staying in this building it is a great idea.

The room was relatively clean but very out dated - it's like I stepped into the 1980's. There was a small smell, not really off-putting or strong, I was able to deal with it. I could have done without it though.

The location of the property is up a hill from the main road, but it offers great views of Simpson's Bay and towards the airport, from the lobby and ocean view rooms in the new building. The staff were lovely however, maybe I am not used to it (being from Australia), but they have sales agents who apparently give you a welcome package. Basically selling you tours. Whilst it's a nice service, all I wanted to do was get to my room.

I didn't receive a porter service to get to my room and the directions were a little unclear which was disappointing. But I made it with some wrong turns.

There is a great gym (based on hotel standards), as well a nice pool area and lobby area.

The great points of this property are the location and its "new building" rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a new building room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank MIKEBNE
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a wonderful week at this resort. We exchanged through RCI and were in room B558; a beautiful renovated room with gorgeous views of the bay and the sunsets. Had a problem with hot water and maintenance fixed in 20 minutes.
Many people complained about the hill to get to the B building. The island is full of hills, so it is to be expected; also, the walk back to the room after indulging on all the food and drink was great exercise.
We loved the location. We did not need a car and were even able to walk down to Simpson Bay and enjoy all the great restaurants there. We especially liked Pineapple Pete's and the Carousel (wonderful ice-cream).
On the property, Bon Apetit was wonderful; food great and the servers were very friendly. I actually won at the Hollywood Casino; and the Red Piano was a lot of fun.
We went on 2 trips with Aqua Mania (reviewed separately) and had so much fun! The trip to Anguilla was amazing and the island tour was great; only $15 per person and took us all around the island with a stop at Orient beach, which was fun.
As far as the friendliness of the staff; yes, they are not as friendly as other islands, but we only encountered one really rude person, so, it really didn't spoil our vacation. I even joined the Aqua Aerobics class a few days and really enjoyed that.
We had a great vacation and can't wait to go back.

3 Thank hark0v8
North Atlantic Ocean
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My wife and myself spent a wonderful, relaxing week at the Simpson Bay Resort. My wife has a walking disability (uses a cane) and I am recovering from open heart surgery. Our trip was a gift from our daughter & son-in-law - a week in their RCI timeshare unit anywhere in the world. We chose St Maarten. On reading reviews on TripAdvisor I was very concerned that the resort was built on a steep hill. Only a sea level room would have been suitable for us I corresponded via e-mail with Mr Gerardo Gonzalez Soriano of Royal Resorts Caribbean with regard to our room allocation. He was absolutely wonderful. Always prompt, patient, understanding, helpful and extremely courteous. We told Mr Soriano that location was more important to us than the condition of the room, i.e. refurbished vs non-refurbished.

On our arrival at the resort we were assigned room F2 (Flamboyant Building yet to be refurbished). This was a 1 bedroom apartment on ground level. Our RCI confirmation was for a Studio with kitchen. What a wonderful surprise and start to our vacation! I asked our concierge where I could find Mr Soriano as we wanted to thank him. He was not in St Maarten but in Cancun!!!! We were even more impressed. How did he manage to do this for us from Cancun!!!
The room had a tropical décor with bamboo furnishings . It was large, bright, airy, very well equipped, extremely clean and had a large outdoor patio overlooking the beach and a few yards from the lapping ocean.

Everything we needed for our relaxing vacation was nearby - a well stocked mini market, ATM, souvenir shop, piano bar, restaurant & bakery and casino. Also, the free bus that takes you to Phillipsburg on Wednesdays & Fridays leaves from this area.

The Marina Plaza is another area within the property where there is a lot of 'activity'. Two nice restaurants, the Aquatic Centre, Beach Bar, small swimming pool, etc. I took the Edge Ferry from there to St. Bart's, an enjoyable 8 hour trip ($70 + $15 port fee). Well worth it. However, be warned, the crossing to St Bart's is quite rough. There were about 40 people on my ferry and a handful were sea sick. The return journey is much smoother.

Otherwise we did not leave the property apart from my ferry trip and our bus trip to Philipsburg. However, when driving on the bus we saw many restaurants, bars, nightclubs, casinos, and shops in the immediate area of our hotel and Don, the guide who accompanied us on the bus, gave descriptions of most of them and made recommendations.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly & helpful. It is really how you treat people. If acknowledge people and greet them in a friendly way they will reciprocate.
The twice per week maid service was fine with us as the apartments are fully stocked with fresh towels, bed linen, etc.

I stopped smoking a few months ago following my heart surgery and did not find the casino excessively smoky. Normally, I smell smoke a mile away. There is quite a good variety of slot machines and table games. We found the slots to be quite 'loose'. As per normal, drinks are served free of charge in the casino.

The orientation and Wednesday evening party were nothing special but worth going to. We did not go on the 1 hour long timesharing 'sales pitch'. With regard to that we were pleasantly surprised that the sales staff were not aggressive and downright annoying like we have experienced in so many other 'timeshare' resorts.

We will probably return to St Maarten in the future and, if so, will definitely stay at the Simpson Bay Resort.

Victor & Margaret
Bermuda.

Room Tip: I would say you have to be young and fit to stay in either of the buildings at the top of the hills...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!