“Good location close to restaurants”

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel is in a great location on the Dutch side. We stayed in a renovated 1 bedroom unit which was very spacious. The resort has everything you need. Pools, water activities, excursions, car rental on site, laundry room. This hotel is built right into the hill so may be steep climbing to your room. Also it is a timeshare so you know they are going to get you to one of the typical timeshare presentations. We did it got a voucher for use at restaurant, activity etc. We went to Stone Restaurant which was superb. We were debating whether we would need a car rental this depends on what type of vacation you are looking to have. We liked the fact the car let us explore the island. However if just went to relax by the pool won't have bothered with car there are so many restaurants, shops within walking distance hence great location. The staff were helpful and friendly as well. They have tons of activities you would never be bored at this resort. Overall St Martin is a beautiful island.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leticia A

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just returned from another stay at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina (6/28-7/5/2014). The renovations look very good and a lot of progress has been completed since our visit last year! Looks like buildings Bouganinvillea, Caladium, Croton and Dieffenbachia are complete. Currently renovating Beaumontia. Was told next year renovations to the beach front building, Flamboyant, will begin. The management is making great strides in bringing this resort up to nice standards. It's centrally located to most of the activities on the island. A lot of the resturants are in walking distance. Aqua Mania located in Simpson Bay Resort & Marina offers great excursions to Prickley Pair, Anguilla and a sunset booze cruise. All are very fun and the staff are great! This was our second visit to the resort and will be back again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DavidPam_2013
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Nice room, but the staff suck. Arrived on Saturday, no maid service until Monday, only after we complained. The washing machines never worked at our building, until we called and they eventually came and got them working. The last time that they did not work, we called more than once and were totally ignored by some idiot local at the office. The security staff (locals) were the rudest that I have ever encountered in my life, anywhere. St. Maarten bills itself as "The Friendly Island". What a hoot! The locals, all over the island, were the rudest, distrustful, and unfriendliest people anywhere I have ever been. Don't waste your time or money on St. Maarten. Could not wait to get away from those people. I expected better. I rate this is as poor based on the general staff.

Go to St. Barthelemy if you want truly friendly people. It is more expensive, but it is a prettier island and a very different, but satisfying experience. Never going back to St. Maarten.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Grand P
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Excellent to do all tourist activities.We stayed in a renovated 2 bedroom unit but only after we complained about first being assigned a moldy dilated unit.Front desk was not cordial at first.Beach clean and quiet.
Priscilla,the converge is very friendly and efficient.Overall the staff needs customer service training.
The on site restaurant was average. Over cooked eggs.Only ate there once.Had an excellent seafood dinner at Lee's.Delicious hot wings at nearby beach bar and grill.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Liliana Brito Elizalde from Royal Resorts did accommodate me @ Simpson Bay Resort St. Martin last minute in a very professional and personal matter. She took care of everything I didn't even knew I appreciated. Also thanks to Mr. Pedro from the resort.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Harm-Jans
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time to St. Marteen as I was traveling alone so I wanted to stay on a resort that had every amenity readily available. This resort was perfect and then some. Staff was friendly and helpful. S/O Odene and Edwin. They were very friendly and informative. Shuttle service to and from my room was helpful as well. Pools were clean and beaches were steps away with a bar and food menu. Food was great. Chef Alex (I hope that was his name) made my food extra delish!! I would have liked to have more than 1 towel (they have bins full of them), but the limit was one per day which was a bummer for me. But understandable since they are a Green resort. I had the French restaurant for breakfast (cant remember the name), but the waffle was good. There are 2 ATM's that take U.S credit/debit cards. I didn't get to gamble, but the casino seemed nice. This resort offers a timeshare, so there is a presentation. I didn't see it (too young), but it was ok, especially if you aren't staying on the island long. The last thing I want to do an island is see a presentation lol. I got to paddleboard and jetski, both of which were VERY affordable. I was happy about that. Concierge can book it for you. They also gave me info on taking the ferry to Anguilla, which I did, it was amazing as well =) Overall, I had a very pleasant stay. My taxi driver Walter was very informative of the island, things to do, places to see, etc as well. I would book him for a taxi service if you are visiting the island. The resort has a gym that overlooks the ocean as well. There are several gift shops on the resorts and a mini mart with food you can buy for your room. Rooms came with a fully stocked kitchen . Ide love to come visit again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
12  Thank Amber B
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed in the newly remodeled units. They are up to date and really have everything you would need to enjoy SXM. I agree with others on this site that say the new units are awesome - and we saw that the rest of the older (being remodeled) units would not be ideal. They are almost done with finishing the entire place. The pools are great - the beach is awesome - and they are close to everything. Our room overlooked the bay and airport. We loved watching all the planes come and go. No noise issues. The 5th floor gave us a great view and got us away from any unwanted noise near the pool. They have restaurants and grocery store on site. GOTTA eat at the Stone Restaurant! YUMMY good.

Room Tip: CALL ahead - make sure you stay in the newly remodeled part of the property. IF you can get one of t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HappyNudistCouple
Gerardo G, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your review. We are truly honored by your compliments about the renovated units, we are glad we could accommodate your needs and make your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!