In October 2013, we went for our second trip to St. Maarten having gone there for one week in October of 2012. Last year we stayed in the Villas at Simpson Bay Resort. This year we stayed in the Caladium Building of the main resort. Both of our trips have been during "hurricane season" making some things more reasonable in price. We had no problems with the weather, although the forecast for almost the whole time was 50-60% chance of rain. It did rain a few times, sometimes at night & sometimes during the day. However, it did not rain enough to interfere with any of our activities.
The Villas are newer & more luxurious, but we thought that our condo in the Caladium Building was fine. We requested a water view & were happy with the view from our balcony. The condo had been renovated not so long ago & was in good shape. Only my wife & I stayed there, but it had room for more people, having 2 Murphy beds in the living room.
Everyone at the resort was very friendly and helpful at all times. We would not hesitate to return there in the future and recommend it to others traveling to St. Maarten.
Being in our early 70s, we prefer to eat our main meal at lunchtime. Consequently, we did not eat at all of the restaurants on the resort. Several were only open for dinner. Our favorite restaurants were The Greenhouse just down the street from the resort, and Topper's on the Beach right next door at Diamonds Flamingo Resort.
We rented a car from Paradise Rental for our two weeks, having rented one from them last year and being totally satisfied with them. We drove around the island several times, visiting Phillipsburg, the market at Marigot, Orient Beach, etc.
We took several trips with Aqua Mania, which has an office on the resort, and had a great time on all of them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina St Martin / St Maarten