Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
$85
$273
$150
Hotels.com
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$145
Orbitz.com
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$95
$92
Azure Hotel & Art Studio(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$100
  • Beachfront
1,285 results
All reviewson sitetime sharefull kitchengrocery storebon appetiteaqua manialiving roommain buildingmurphy bedbeach barsales pitchtennis courtspersonal conciergetimeshare presentationwater activitiessunset cruisest maarten
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The best thing I can say about this property is that it is in the middle of everything you could need-all of which within walking distance.

We stayed in the Marina building, one of the units that has not been updated yet. While its not bad, it just looks like kitschy 80s beach decor. Unit was large with very well equipped kitchen, which included utensils, pots/pans, blender, etc. Also, at check in, you get a voucher for beach towels, so no need to bring your own. Do not expect daily maid service. BTW - you have to pay an up charge for the renovated rooms :(

I would suggest that if you are older, or have difficulties getting around, that you ask for a building near the lobby, as the other buildings can be very hilly to get to.

Worst things: the toilets in our unit/building went down several times. At one point they had to move us to one of the Villas at 2am as one of our party was sick and needed a working bathroom. Very inconvenient! Also, our first full day there, we hung out at the marina pool and ordered a burger w/ketchup from the swim up bar/grill. 1.5 hours later, the two of us who shared the burger got violently ill with food poisoning - we think it was un-refrigerated ketchup. After complaining to the front desk, we still had to complain at check out as they were trying to charge us for the food that made us ill.

Tips: It was about $12 to get to the resort from the airport. Since everything has to be shipped in, things can be extremely expensive. If you have a unit with a kitchen, you might want to consider either bringing some pasta or cereal with you to save $, particularly as those two staples seemed ridiculously expensive. The liquor is pretty cheap, and there is a market next to Burger King at the bottom of the hill.

The resort offered a complimentary bus ride to the capital, Philipsburg, twice while we were there. I would suggest this rather than getting a rental car. Front St., where all the chi chi shops are, can be done in several hours without you missing much. It's 90% jewelry shopping. If you go into the nicer jewel shops, you are usually offered a beer or water - and you can take the beer with you when you leave for the next shop. While there can be good deals on jewelry and watches, don't be afraid to haggle, it's expected.

Tipping: check your bills; at some places the tip is already included in, or ask if 'service' is included - don't ask if tip is included. Cab drivers get a couple of bucks.

Dutch half of the island speaks English primarily and US dollars is their main currency. The French half uses euros and speaks French.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank christine h
Gerardo G, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Christine,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and the community. We do appreciate hearing from you, as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our housekeeping and F&B department as well. After this inconveniences you experimented we are very glad you had a great time and you point some useful tips our guests can find in the resort.

In our continue search of excellence we appreciate your valuable thoughts and we are taking action in every situation you mentioned.

Again, thank you.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The resort is located in a nice area with everything you need around, bars beach pools and local restaurants or even markets to buy food. Room has essentials and it is confortable. Downside was seing that cleaning could be improved with attention to detail and some maintenance in rooms might be necessary. In our case, one of the fans on top of the ceiling couldn't be turned off...and was right on top of our bed..although weather in St. Maarten is so good even in raining season that we prefered to kept it ON during night and never asked room service to check it. It was minor thing for us. All other requests asked have been handled by resort staff and we had a good time here. Internet was free although very instable and slow. Overall it was a good experience and I can recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Alex T
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice resort, Several buildings with several swimming pools. Good restaurants and a grocery store on the property. Good location with free parking. I would recommend a renting a car, many areas of the island to explore and rental cars are fairly inexpensive. I believe they have a free shuttle to Phillipsburg daily for shopping. Many restaurants and a larger grocery store near entrance. We liked having the kitchen in unit so you don't have to go out for every meal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank london412
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Let me say that I explored all the posts on TA and the forums on that web site as well as travelone.com and got the real scoop on this place.All of the complaints about the unrenovated units are true.Knowing this I got in touch with reservations in Mexico where the main office of Royal Resorts is based and talked to the supervisor of that department and found out that I would be placed in the unrenovated "B" bldg. So I told them that it would take housekeeping the same amount of time to clean an unreno "B"bldg as well as an unreno Flamboyant bldg and I would appreciate being put in the "F" bldg so that I wouldn't have to climb those steep hills.They complied,although it was an unreno unit.By 2015,all units will be fully renovated.The complex has a lot to offer in terms of amenities.Many pools and restaurants on property although most are independent of the resort.I recommend a car as the resort are has many steep hills.You can walk a short distance to town and many attractions,but for some you need a car especially when coming back to the rooms from the town.Very steep hills especially when it's in the high eighties and humid.The roads in the resort are in very poor shape with some ruts and broken pavement.Be careful. Last note is that the location is excellent i.e.near the busy area of Simpson Bay.Drive around the Island because there are lots of beaches and also the French side and restaurants.French side uses Euros.You can ask if they do Dollar for Euro even exchange.The water is amazing especially Orient Beach withit's cute restaurants.

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade to a reno room,it's about three to six hundred for a reno room or a new villa room if you go on an exchange,but as a hotel guest,it will be a reno room.We had the Flamboyant because we though being right on the beach outweighed an un reno one.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melr1126
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Me and my wife are timeshare owner and decided to exchange our timeshare with Simpson Bay Resort and Marina. Before we arrived we were asked if we wanted to upgrade for $299/$499 for a 1 bedroom/2 bedroom respectively. We decided not to upgrade since we had already exchanged our 1 bedroom grand unit. When we arrived and entered our unit (M401) we thought we had stepped back in time. The unit was so outdated it was like we were in the 70's. Out dated kitchen and bathroom, old style tiles etc. The building it was in was in terrible shape. The elevator was not air conditioned and it was like 100 deg. F in it. We noticed that there were some newer unit which I believe are called the villas that are part of the main building. I think these were the ones that were offered to us for the upgrade. So after see bugs in the kitchen on the first morning I decided I had enough and asked of a better unit. I told them that the unit I received was not up to timeshare standards and that I thought I deserved more. I was offered another unit but it was of the same grade as the one I was in so I decided that I would not move to it. I then told the manager that I did not understand why they would move me into one of the units they offered for $299 since I know they have some available but was told that I would have to pay the $299. So instead of getting a happy customer they get this review. I refuse to let most things ruin my vacation but I will write reviews like this to make sure others know. On the last day it rained at night and when we woke up the floor in the living area was flooded just to add insult to injury. My recommendation is if you plan on going to this timeshare is to make sure you get into the villas which are new units. All the other units are terrible.

Room Tip: Only book the Villas section in the main building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CoreydJones

Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comments to us and the community. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our housekeeping department. While the conditions of your room you experienced are unusual and not the standard of our resort, there is no excuse to give you an excellent service. All the buildings will be renovating in order to update the new image we want to project to all our guests.

The transition is the hardest part, hence we feel terribly sorry when one of our guests experience any inconvenience it may caused.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.