“Good option in Simpson Bay”

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
“Good option in Simpson Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The resort is located in a nice area with everything you need around, bars beach pools and local restaurants or even markets to buy food. Room has essentials and it is confortable. Downside was seing that cleaning could be improved with attention to detail and some maintenance in rooms might be necessary. In our case, one of the fans on top of the ceiling couldn't be turned off...and was right on top of our bed..although weather in St. Maarten is so good even in raining season that we prefered to kept it ON during night and never asked room service to check it. It was minor thing for us. All other requests asked have been handled by resort staff and we had a good time here. Internet was free although very instable and slow. Overall it was a good experience and I can recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Alex T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice resort, Several buildings with several swimming pools. Good restaurants and a grocery store on the property. Good location with free parking. I would recommend a renting a car, many areas of the island to explore and rental cars are fairly inexpensive. I believe they have a free shuttle to Phillipsburg daily for shopping. Many restaurants and a larger grocery store near entrance. We liked having the kitchen in unit so you don't have to go out for every meal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank london412
Farmingdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Let me say that I explored all the posts on TA and the forums on that web site as well as travelone.com and got the real scoop on this place.All of the complaints about the unrenovated units are true.Knowing this I got in touch with reservations in Mexico where the main office of Royal Resorts is based and talked to the supervisor of that department and found out that I would be placed in the unrenovated "B" bldg. So I told them that it would take housekeeping the same amount of time to clean an unreno "B"bldg as well as an unreno Flamboyant bldg and I would appreciate being put in the "F" bldg so that I wouldn't have to climb those steep hills.They complied,although it was an unreno unit.By 2015,all units will be fully renovated.The complex has a lot to offer in terms of amenities.Many pools and restaurants on property although most are independent of the resort.I recommend a car as the resort are has many steep hills.You can walk a short distance to town and many attractions,but for some you need a car especially when coming back to the rooms from the town.Very steep hills especially when it's in the high eighties and humid.The roads in the resort are in very poor shape with some ruts and broken pavement.Be careful. Last note is that the location is excellent i.e.near the busy area of Simpson Bay.Drive around the Island because there are lots of beaches and also the French side and restaurants.French side uses Euros.You can ask if they do Dollar for Euro even exchange.The water is amazing especially Orient Beach withit's cute restaurants.

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade to a reno room,it's about three to six hundred for a reno room or a new v...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melr1126
Prospect, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Me and my wife are timeshare owner and decided to exchange our timeshare with Simpson Bay Resort and Marina. Before we arrived we were asked if we wanted to upgrade for $299/$499 for a 1 bedroom/2 bedroom respectively. We decided not to upgrade since we had already exchanged our 1 bedroom grand unit. When we arrived and entered our unit (M401) we thought we had stepped back in time. The unit was so outdated it was like we were in the 70's. Out dated kitchen and bathroom, old style tiles etc. The building it was in was in terrible shape. The elevator was not air conditioned and it was like 100 deg. F in it. We noticed that there were some newer unit which I believe are called the villas that are part of the main building. I think these were the ones that were offered to us for the upgrade. So after see bugs in the kitchen on the first morning I decided I had enough and asked of a better unit. I told them that the unit I received was not up to timeshare standards and that I thought I deserved more. I was offered another unit but it was of the same grade as the one I was in so I decided that I would not move to it. I then told the manager that I did not understand why they would move me into one of the units they offered for $299 since I know they have some available but was told that I would have to pay the $299. So instead of getting a happy customer they get this review. I refuse to let most things ruin my vacation but I will write reviews like this to make sure others know. On the last day it rained at night and when we woke up the floor in the living area was flooded just to add insult to injury. My recommendation is if you plan on going to this timeshare is to make sure you get into the villas which are new units. All the other units are terrible.

Room Tip: Only book the Villas section in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CoreydJones
Gerardo G, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comments to us and the community. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our housekeeping department. While the conditions of your room you experienced are unusual and not the standard of our resort, there is no excuse to give you an excellent service. All the buildings will be renovating in order to update the new image we want to project to all our guests.

The transition is the hardest part, hence we feel terribly sorry when one of our guests experience any inconvenience it may caused.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.
Jackson, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was my first time in St. Maarten and I would definitely visit again. I am an owner of a 5 star timeshare and exchanged my week to stay at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina. Actually, I gave my friend a guest certificate and met up with him 2 days later. When I spoke to him before I met up with him, he mentioned that I probably would not like the room. After I spoke to him, I went to their website and found that the resort is currently under renovations and would not be completed until He is not the type of person that will complain so I figured it probably was not good. When I arrived, we went straight up to the room. As soon as I entered through the door, I could not believe how bad the room was or how he was even able to sleep in there for 2 days. The room was horrible and had a very strong smell of mold. We went right the front desk and they changed the room for us, they even gave us a larger room.The new room was still not one of the renovated rooms but it was much better than the first room and it was facing the marina which was great. We watched the boats in the marina every morning and every night. The original room was in Building B, then we were moved to the Marina building. The resort has many restaurants and amenities nearby. I would definitely recommend it but if book and get stuck in an bad room I would definitely let the front desk know so that they can rectify. We had a great time once we were moved, I would definitely go back to the resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was an awesome trip and one I would definitely do again. The resort is conveniently located just minutes from the airport and in the heart of all the attractions you could want for. There are restaurants and bars galore. The market is walking distance and so is the night club. You could spend your entire vacation on the resort and have a terrific time. But grt out and explore the island. I recommend starting with the bus tour and sunset cruise offered on Monday's as a great way to get an idea of where you may want to go and meet some of your fellow vacationers.

The property is being renovated and I happened to get one of the dated rooms. But it was functional, spacious and beachfront so it was a winner in my book. Aside from the aesthetics it was great and had all the amenities of home. I felt totally safe. There was security everywhere and the staff were very helpful and friendly too. I sometimes travel solo so Simpson Bay Resort is really good for solo female travelers. If I didn't own already I would buy there.

Room Tip: If you are trading in, call the resort to see if the room you are getting has been renovated
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle B
Washington, DC, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a surprise it was to be in the Caribbean nestled in a mountainous sea side resort village! Very neighborhood like feel with beautiful landscaping, local markets, restaurants, bars, even a casino! Did I mention that it was also right on the water overlooking the Caribbean Sea?

The suites were nice, spacious and generally comfortable. Our view was amazing as well. The only thing was that the furniture and decor definitely dated; wicker throughout with some what appeared to be 1980 something Miami style pictures on the walls. That being said, whose stays in their room anyway while on vacation; except may be to sleep?

Waling distance to everything, even a hookah lounge and European coffee shop.
Overall we were very pleased a would most definitely return.

Room Tip: Top of the mountain suites are best for the view of the Caribbean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,170 reviews
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!