“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Ljubljana
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here for just a night, waiting for our flight. Previous time we slept in Westin, but now with our baby we did not bother to drive there, as Simpson Bay is near the Juliana airport, which is very convenient. We did not expect much, but were pleasently surprised.
Room was very big with spacious bathroom and kitchen ( large fridge). Living room is also giant.
Location of the hotel is great, you can easily go around the Simpson Bay for a drink or dinner.
Would recommend, next time with more time we will probably stay here;

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank enjoyer80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I are here in st. Maarten for the first time. Last night at Simpson Bay Resort and Marina. We watched an outdoor movie set beside the pool. The movie itself was good but you can't buy this kind of ambience. Imagine a projected large screen with the quit gentle rolling sounds of the ocean around you, a slightly cloudy sky as a boarder around your movie and a beautiful moon with stars in eye shot but not distracting. A gentle ocean breeze to top it all off. Reminded us of outdoor theaters which we enjoyed as children but we never watched one in such a setting. We went over to Buccaneers and picked up a slab of what we think are the best ribs ever and their home frys, grabbed fresh bread from nearby and enjoyed that while we watched our movie. Last night gave dinner and a movie whole new meaning for us. We loved it!

Room Tip: If traveling on exchange through RCI you have a choice of higher up farther from ocean or marina, ch...
3 Thank tangsrfun
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We own four weeks of time share at this resort. Two of our units have been completely renovated. All buildings are scheduled to be completely redone over the next couple years. The location in St Maarten is perfect and the resort is in the best shape it's been in for decades. The staff is friendly and efficient. The units yet to be renovated are OK but have tired furniture and the "B" building elevators are frequently out of service. All units in the "C and D" buildings have been renovated, which is where we are staying now and very happy. This resort was previously known as Pelican Resort.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank David M
Wellsville, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I traded in to this resort through Interval only 3 weeks ahead of time. I chose the resort based on availability but also because I was coming to the island, in part, for a medical conference which just so happened to be offered at this hotel.
I did my research ahead of time and knew what buildings had been renovated and had not but location was my priority. I emailed the resort a couple of weeks ahead of time after receiving notice from Interval that I had been placed in the B buidling (up on the hill) and requested to be placed in either the Marina or Flamboyant buildings. One of the managers emailed me back and advised that he would look in to the inventory and see if the change would be possible. A couple of days before our arrival I was notified that we were placed in the Marina building.
After a long early morning flight, and picking up our rental car from Travel rent a car (also higly recommend), we arrived at the resort at about 3:45. We were told that the room was just about ready and by the time we had parked and got our luggage out, the room was done. We were greeted by a bottle of wine and a personal note welcoming us, from the manager that I had contacted as well as a map of the resort with very specific instructions of how to get the room that held my conference. Although not updated, the one bedroom unit was very large, and more than accomodating. My only issues with the room is that it did not have a balcony... and I had hoped to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view. I decided to really push my luck and called the front desk to ask if there were any units available with a balcony and they immediately sent up an employee who transported us by van to view another unit in order to see if that was up to par.
This unit was in the Flamboyant building which is beach front, and by beach front, I mean VERY close to the beach :) We could not have been happier. The unit was once again not updated, but really, do you need granite countertops? You are at the beach, how much time do you truly spend in your room?? Wicker furniture and tile floors are not a bad thing. The appliances were more than adequate with full fridge, dishwasher, microwave, oven, and perhaps most important... a blender.
After approving the unit, the employee went back to the old unit and transported all of our luggage to the new one while my husband moved the car to a very convenient spot right in front of the unit.
Honestly, I can not say enough about the service I received. A couple of days later, the manager even stopped by personally, to check to make sure our stay was going well.
As for the resort itself, the grounds were spotless, the beach was nice, and the pool by the villa was quiet and warm. The gym was spectacular and although there was a fee, 55$/week/couple, my husband and I used it daily and would have even paid more to use the facility if we were staying at a neighboring resort. The Red Piano bar, located directly across the parking lot from our unit was a last stop for us nightly and was a lot of fun. Bon Appetit and Alexander's Kitchen were great as well. Buccaneer Beach bar is literally located next door to the resort and there are several other great restaurants and bars within walking distance in the Simpson Bay area, our favorite was Pizza Galley, but we also enjoyed Lees and Pineapple Pete's. There is a well stocked grocery store at the bottom of the hill that we used not only to stock the kitchen for breakfast, lunches, and snacks, but it was also convenient to grab necesseties throughout the week we were there.
We did rent a car and explored most of the island, including, Happy Bay, Friar's Bay, Bay Rouge, Mullet Bay, Maho, Orient Bay, Pinel Island, and Dawn Beach. We also went to Harmony Nights and had an awesome dinner at La Villa in Grand Case and on another day shopped and took a ferry from Marigot in order to spend a day in Anguilla. I really don't feel like we could have picked a more central location or a resort that would have fit our needs as well.
If I had to have one complaint, my only one would be that the guy who pulled out lounge chairs and did towel exchanges on the beach was not the nicest person in the world but that is a very minor complaint when you look at the numerous other positives.

I have been exploring the Caribbean for several years and although I have had many great travel experiences, this is the first time I have found the need to post a review, simply because I feel that they deserve a better rating than many of the other traveler's have given them.

9 Thank slyon382
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking your time to write such a detailed review! I'm sure it will come in handy to other travelers. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed so much your stay with us. Thank you for the kind words towards our staff and facilities, I will share them with management to congratulate our hard working staff for a job well done. While we understand that different people can have different perspectives, it's always nice to read such a warm review from another happy customer, as it makes us strive to continue providing the best service possible to our members and guests.

I do hope we get the chance of welcoming you back to your home in paradise soon. Until then, please take care and receive our warmest regards from sunny St Maarten.

Best regards,
oceanside,ny
Reviewed April 15, 2013

we stayed there two years ago and are returning next week for a week. place was fine for a week great location tons of restaurants right outside. loved the beach and view from our terrace. hope to venture out more around the island this upcoming trip and see more

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rhonda9156340
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 13, 2013

First time in Sint Maarten (Dutch side) and the resort is about 10 mins. from the airport. It's located 1/2 way up a hill with very nice reception area. Finding the entrance road was tricky, we drove by it and had to park in lot. Very large resort with 6-7 pools, and a very nice beach area.Free beach lounges, umbrellas (with people to set them up), double kayaks and any noodles or floats you can find. Few to find though. Daily activities if you're interested. If you can, stay in main buildings on the marina and beach. There are other buildings located up the hill but you have to walk to beach. We had an efficiency, large enough for two. 2 TV's in unit with separate nice sitting area. However, pullout couch was tilted forward making sitting on it difficult. Other furniture comfortable. They have gym and restaurant in main buildings. FREE WiFi at resort; however, seldom worked in our unit. Had to go outside the building to connect. Not convenient!! Lots of good and very good restaurants within walking distance.

All in all a good time. Would recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Main buildings: Rooms facing marina have balconies. West rooms don't have balconies but great oc...
3 Thank Fisher66
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Welcome to St Maarten! I hope that this was just the first of many more visits to come. Thank you for the kind words about our resort and facilities, I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time. Regarding your comments about the pullout couch and internet service, I have passed a copy to management in order to follow up and share with the appropriate staff.

Warm regards from sunny St. Maarten,

Long Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We own a timeshare and trade through interval. We are always looking for great places to trade for. It seems to have gotten harder and harder to find a place that gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. The thing about timeshares is, unless you get really lucky, you aren't getting the five star hotel with the amazing service. I usually just hope that my research on trip adivsor prevents me from getting a terrible place. I feel like a lot of people rate some of these very harshly because they had one thing that went wrong on their vacation. So I decided that it's really important for me to add my reviews with this mindset.

My husband and I love the carribean and we were very excited about visiting St.Maarten. We pretty much selected the best place that was available on Interval. Our check in process was not the smoothest. We had to wait quite a long time for them to figure out our room. After the long flight, it was really annoying. But everything got settled. My best advice for this is make sure you take your timeshare exchange data.

The rooms were nothing special, but we had no issues. And we really didn't spend all that much time in the room anyway. It was just a place to sleep. Bottom line If you're looking to spend a week on a tropical island, I wasn't scared of this place or disapointed that we traded for this.

Most of the units are located on a pretty steep hill. You have to walk down that hill to get to the beach. We are young and in shape, so it really didn't bother us. It also made for a beautiful view. The beach was nice. I would reccomend this place to anyone who is travelling for the island, not for the resort experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TryEverythingLife
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the view from your suite as well as the beach; I agree with you, both are beautiful! I'm sorry to read about the long check in process you mention having endured. I have passed a copy of your comments to management to review our process and share with the appropriate staff in order to provide you a better service in the future. Regarding the walking up and down the hills, as previously mentioned in another review our bellhops have a small shuttle and will be happy to assist you in going up or down from your unit to any area within the resort, you just need to call front desk to request this service at no cost.

I hope we can welcome you back soon. Please receive our warmest regards from sunny St. Maarten.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!