Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$263
$145
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Pool
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$145
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
$85
Simpson Bay Suites(Simpson Bay)
$122
Orbitz.com
Commodore Suites(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$126
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$95
$92
Baker's Suites(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$106
$98
La Vista Resort(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$200
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
1,303 results
All reviewson sitetime sharefull kitchengrocery storebon appetiteaqua maniamain buildingliving roommurphy bedbeach barsales pitchtennis courtspersonal conciergetimeshare presentationwater activitiesst maartensunset cruise
Reviewed April 13, 2013

First time in Sint Maarten (Dutch side) and the resort is about 10 mins. from the airport. It's located 1/2 way up a hill with very nice reception area. Finding the entrance road was tricky, we drove by it and had to park in lot. Very large resort with 6-7 pools, and a very nice beach area.Free beach lounges, umbrellas (with people to set them up), double kayaks and any noodles or floats you can find. Few to find though. Daily activities if you're interested. If you can, stay in main buildings on the marina and beach. There are other buildings located up the hill but you have to walk to beach. We had an efficiency, large enough for two. 2 TV's in unit with separate nice sitting area. However, pullout couch was tilted forward making sitting on it difficult. Other furniture comfortable. They have gym and restaurant in main buildings. FREE WiFi at resort; however, seldom worked in our unit. Had to go outside the building to connect. Not convenient!! Lots of good and very good restaurants within walking distance.

All in all a good time. Would recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Main buildings: Rooms facing marina have balconies. West rooms don't have balconies but great ocean views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fisher66
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Welcome to St Maarten! I hope that this was just the first of many more visits to come. Thank you for the kind words about our resort and facilities, I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time. Regarding your comments about the pullout couch and internet service, I have passed a copy to management in order to follow up and share with the appropriate staff.

Warm regards from sunny St. Maarten,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We own a timeshare and trade through interval. We are always looking for great places to trade for. It seems to have gotten harder and harder to find a place that gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. The thing about timeshares is, unless you get really lucky, you aren't getting the five star hotel with the amazing service. I usually just hope that my research on trip adivsor prevents me from getting a terrible place. I feel like a lot of people rate some of these very harshly because they had one thing that went wrong on their vacation. So I decided that it's really important for me to add my reviews with this mindset.

My husband and I love the carribean and we were very excited about visiting St.Maarten. We pretty much selected the best place that was available on Interval. Our check in process was not the smoothest. We had to wait quite a long time for them to figure out our room. After the long flight, it was really annoying. But everything got settled. My best advice for this is make sure you take your timeshare exchange data.

The rooms were nothing special, but we had no issues. And we really didn't spend all that much time in the room anyway. It was just a place to sleep. Bottom line If you're looking to spend a week on a tropical island, I wasn't scared of this place or disapointed that we traded for this.

Most of the units are located on a pretty steep hill. You have to walk down that hill to get to the beach. We are young and in shape, so it really didn't bother us. It also made for a beautiful view. The beach was nice. I would reccomend this place to anyone who is travelling for the island, not for the resort experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TryEverythingLife
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the view from your suite as well as the beach; I agree with you, both are beautiful! I'm sorry to read about the long check in process you mention having endured. I have passed a copy of your comments to management to review our process and share with the appropriate staff in order to provide you a better service in the future. Regarding the walking up and down the hills, as previously mentioned in another review our bellhops have a small shuttle and will be happy to assist you in going up or down from your unit to any area within the resort, you just need to call front desk to request this service at no cost.

I hope we can welcome you back soon. Please receive our warmest regards from sunny St. Maarten.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This place really didn't make a solid impression positively or negatively. The area is beautiful. The resort is in a fairly good location (close to airport, near several good off site restaurants and bars as well as a grocery store). The beach accessible from within the resort was okay, but rather small with a somewhat steep drop close in to shore. Probably the thing I like best at this resort were the beach attendants. Thanks to them everyone seemed to find a satisfying spot even with people reserving lounges and shade early (the towel droppers that hold spots all day and show up around 2 in the afternoon). What I didn't like at all were the hills. Staying in the lower B building I encountered a hill any time I left the building. There was also a pretty steep hill returning to the resort if you walked to any of the nearby restaurants. Another thing I didn't like was that the resort seemed full of cars. Many people opted to rent cars and between those cars, the resort vans and buses and delivery or construction trucks it didn't feel much like paradise. Not so relaxing dodging drivers. I noticed the license plates said St Maartin was the "friendly island". I'm glad they told me because none of the staff at the resort (other than the maid cleaning our unit when we arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon) was even remotely friendly. Some of the guards and cleaning staff actually seemed to snarl instead of acknowledging a hello. We stayed in one of the unrenovated units and it really wasn't that bad. By the time we left I had actually grown to like the space and the super large patio. I did see some of the renovated untis and was not impressed. In an attempt to modernize and appear luxurious the resort made the units dark and unwelcoming. Since I slept on the sleeper sofa I was doubly glad we didn't get a renovated unit since they replaced the sleeper sofa with two twin size murphy beds! Ridiculous!!! I want to give this resort a rating between average and poor. It is definitely below my average expectations, but not as bad a poor. While it is definitely not a place I'd return many people I spoke with there told me they LOVED it there.

Room Tip: If you can't get the Flambouyant building don't go.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DealLover

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the kind words towards our location, facilities and staff; I will proceed to share them with management. Your comments about our renovated units have also been noted and sent for consideration. Regarding the hills at the resort: our bellhops have a small shuttle and will be happy to assist you in going up or down from your unit to any area within the resort, you just need to call front desk to request this service at no cost.

I hope we can welcome you back soon. Until next time, take care and receive our warmest regards from sunny St. Maarten.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The location of this timeshare was very convenient not only from the Airport but also traveling around the Dutch side of the Island. Upon arriving have to admit I was very disappointed entering our room as it had not been cleaned at all. We went back down to the lobby and enjoyed "happy hour" for a bit and then finally went back up to our now cleaned room. It was small with a kitchenette but then again it was all we really needed. After all we were going there to explore the beaches. The rest of the resort was clean and check in and check out was simple. The staff was acommodating and the timeshare gave us the opportunity to explore the island, and explore we did! If you travel here at this specific resort you will be fine just not WoW'd to death.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trigirl2012
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Management Response:

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your valuable time to write us a review, your feedback is of great importance to us.

Please note that our regular check-in time is at 4:00 p.m., however our housekeeping staff tries its best to ensure the units get cleaned earlier. In the event that the room is available, we usually allow guests to check-in prior to checking time. Please rest assured that your experience was a an exception rather than the norm; we thank you for your comments and feedback as they help us create valuable learning opportunities to improve.

We hope you give us the opportunity once more to host your vacation.

Warm regards from Sunny St.Maarten,
Pedro Sanchez
Operations Manager

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We needed a place to stay for two nights before checking into our Dawn Beach timeshare. Expedia showed this location as an available hotel. Well, we arrives SXM at 9pm. By the time we arrived at the "old Pelican" we were told there was no food and no place to buy bottled water on premise. Had to walk to a local bar. Humm. So the room was satisfactory, but AC pooped out and the safe did not work. We called 3 times for the safe in one day. Finally gave up and carried everything with us, to come back after the beach to find no one cleaned the room. I get the timeshare thing. Own them. But if your paying to stay in a hotel, you expect new towels! Hence, not the best impression. Thing that really intrigued me was that they claimed to be on the renovation and way to being a 5 star resort. Well, they have a VERY LONG WAY TO GO! I rate this a 2 star, with the personnel of a motel 6. View is great from the more modern Villa's, and the gym, exceptional for the islands (hence $6 resort guest fee), but don't charge me a steep rate and not provide hotel service. And they claim to have amazing staff. an 18 year veteran at the bar was unfriendly and just blah. Oh, and folks, NO ICE MACHINES on premise. Be prepared to go buy ice if you want a drink in your suite/timeshare room. Junior suites have no ice making capacity. Mini fridge at best.

Room Tip: Villa's are newer.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jetchic

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Management Response:

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for taking your time to write a review. Your comments are very important to us and help us serve you better.

On behalf of all the staff at Simpson Bay Resort, we are sorry to know that your impression of the resort was not up to your expectations, surely this is not the norm.

Government regulations on the island of St.Maarten outline that all stores should be closed by 9:00 PM, there are some exceptions such as gas stations.In addition, many restaurants locally closed their kitchen a little past after 10:30 / 11:00 PM. Including the ones located at the Resort, however in some cases there are exceptions.

We are happy to know that you found the room and the view satisfactory however we will definitively follow up to address the concerns mentioned with our maintenance department, namely the issues with the safe. This will be addressed. Please also note that in all our rooms, a complete set of towels and linen is provided in the closet for your convenience, and an additional set in the bathroom.

As you correctly stated in your review, the resort is in the process of renovating the whole original section of Simpson Bay Resort, making all of the 342 units premium accommodation, four buildings have already been completed and the rest are underway.

Once again, we greatly value your comments as they are our best tool to improve our services.

We hope you give us the opportunity once more to host your vacation.

Warm regards from Sunny St. Maarten,