This was our second visit to St Maarten and the Atrium in the last two years. Due to a point increase by RCI, we were only able to get a 1 BR this time, but that's not the Atrium's fault. We had a wonderful stay. The resort and room were very clean and the staff was very helpful, be it providing a rollaway for the 4th person or insuring we always had 4 towel in the room. The kitchen was well equip. The staff, minus 1 housekeeper, were very friendly and more than willing to assist us. Patricio was exceptionally kind and helpful. There is construction nearby, so the balcony was a little dusty and wet feet or rain can make for a bit of a mess. The resort offered a secure place for our luggage and a hospitality room for post-checkout convenience.
Some pleasant changes since our July 2005 visit are that the ajoining restaurant in now open and there is a grocery store across the street. I think the general cleaniness of the property and grounds, to include the beach was cleaner, not that it was bad in 2005. The new airport has a much better a/c - don't rush to sit on a hot plane for the return trip if it's not at an attached gateway.
Things that didn't get any better - driving roads are in poor repair and you've got to drive aggressively or plan on waiting a long time for an opening. The cost for food, even at the larger grocery stores, is quite high. We wish we had brought more breakfast/snack food with us.
The resort was very quiet which was fine for my wife and I, but a little lacking for our teenage son and his friend. The hotel seemed full, so I'm not sure where everyone goes. The restaurant and the Buccaneer Bar are not part of the Atrium (I think), otherwise it would be good to incorpate some evening entertainment or activities to get folks out of their rooms.
We dove with Dive Safari and had a great time. The water was choppy which kept us close to Simpson Bay, but the wrecks and coral attracted a large variety of fish, rays and eels. Wish we had made a trip to Saba.
We visted a few other beaches - be prepared to pay $15-$20 to rent 2 recliners and an umbrella away from the Atrium. Mullet bay and Orient were fun. Bay Rouge was nice, but no one was very thrilled with it. Expect tops optional at all beaches, even at the Atrium.
Favorite restaurants: Lee's (BBQ), Jumbo's (Mexican) and the Bavarian House (German) - all within walking distance. Peg Leg was very good, but not much less than $25 on the menu.
Overall, we all had a great time, even the boys, and would have no problem going to St Maarten and the Atrium again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atrium Resort & Spa by Festiva Resorts is your getaway in paradise. The smallest island in the world to be shared by two sovereign powers (The Netherlands and France), St. Maarten provides a winning blend of Caribbean hospitality and European sophistication. Rolling hillsides, blue lagoons and breathtaking views are just a few reasons why so many visitors return every year to this island. With its half mile of natural beach and an array of nearby water sports, the Atrium is practically paradise. This quiet, beachfront resort overlooks the calm Caribbean Sea and is minutes from the glamorous nightlife and duty-free shopping of both the Dutch and French sides of the island.Adjoining the resort's pool area is a Spanish tapas bar, Picante. In addition to light and delicious fare, Picante also features a jazz club. If tranquility, luxury and a full-service staff are what you want, the Atrium is the place for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Atrium Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atrium Resort And Spa By Festiva Resorts
- Atrium Resort & Spa By Festiva Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium St Maarten
- Atrium Beach Resort And Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay