“CRAPPY - But at least they had a generator during hurricane...”

Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
Washington, DC
“CRAPPY - But at least they had a generator during hurricane...”
Reviewed October 20, 2008

The friendly island? I think not. Our demographics: 28 yrs old, married African-Americans, both engineers on our honeymoon. First let me preface this by saying I tend to be low maintenance when traveling. But there is a certain level of basic things that need to be met.

Check-in. First off my experience was everyone in St Maarten is too serious and not very friendly. The other thing I noticed is no one knows jack. You ask them for a recommendation, they always say "I don't know". You live on an island that you can travel in it's entirety in 1 hr and you can't recommend a place? Anyway...the front desk chic was bland and didn't smile. She wasn't rude but wasn't like the US where business try to greet you with a smile. No biggie. I can live with that.

The room: First off, the bed was king size and the sheets were queen size. The sheets constantly came off while sleeping because you couldn't tuck them in since they were too small. That wouldn't be a problem in your own home but god only knows what sorts of things happen on that bed...I don't want my body touching the mattress without a sheet. At least I know (or I think) the sheets get washed.

The bed was hard as a rock. We're still fairly young so the amount of old people that stayed at the hotel (which looked more like a senior assisted living joint) I don't know how they slept on the bed. Luckily since there's sufficient alcohol all over the island if you get drunk enough you might be able to sleep on the bed. :)

The toilet: The toilet was disgusting. The bowl was clean on the outside but the inside (where you normally take a toilet bowl scrubber and scrub) was brown. It was nasty. But as I said before....I'm low maintenance, I took the toilet bowl scrubber and just scrubbed it. Then I flushed the toilet...and you know what? Brown stuff ran down the side (of the inside) of the toilet. It was like the water inside the toilet had some sort of brown water in it...so everytime you flushed the toilet the bowl would turn brown again. What the hell? I've heard of a self cleaning oven, and even seen self cleaning toilets but a self-dirtying toilet? That was a new one.

The bath tub: I understand we Americans are already arrogant as it is, we walk around acting like we're gods gift to the universe and pretend we do things the right way. So again I noticed this but didn't complain. The tile was dingy. Clearly they've never heard of tilex mold remover. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't sparkly either. In general it seemed as though the Atrium didn't take pride in making their hotel shine. It seemed they just did the bare minimum.

The water pressure was extremely low in the shower and sinks. The tile was dingy in the tub, and the tile floor.

The handles to adjust the hot and cold water were so screwed up my wife had to call me to get it just right everytime she took a shower or she'd either end up an ice cube or with 3rd degree burns (that's when the hot water actually worked).

I thought I spotted a roach in the kitchenette but I def. saw ants (I can live with ants to an extent, but roaches? Ghetto!

Speaking of ghetto, there was a decent flat screen TV, it was probably 22 inches. Unfortunately you could only see 19 inches of it. The pictures was as if someone had shrunk it. A few adjustments and I corrected that.

But the real ghetto part was apparently the Atrium uses DirectTV every hour of watching TV this notice would pop up for about 3 mins and say something about PAY YOUR DIRECT TV BILL. Something like that. Clearly it was between the Atrium and DirectTV. How annoying. But hey we should be out exploring the island (and we did) before the hurricane.

So this brings me to the one positive thing I can think of. When hurrican Omar passed us it left some damage in it's wake but nothing significant. The island was without power for approx 1.5 days maybe 2 but the Atrium and other resorts kept on ticking. We never lost power! They got something right!

Overall I wouldn't stay here again. We would have liked to have found a more hip upbeat place to stay but then again, the island in general didn't have too many hip or upbeat people.

PS: I do want to mention we never complained about the room because we pretty much assumed they would all be the same way. Maybe that was our fault. Maybe there were better rooms.

• Liked — In room Internet access (bring your own laptop) & Generator that kept the place lit up!
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank derrickonline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arkansas
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Returned from a trip with two firsts-- first trip to St. Martin...first time in a hurricane...

Arrived at the Atrium Resort Satruday 10/11. We were with another couple. The staff worked with us to get two rooms together-- a studio/one bedroom connected with a common foyer. Very convenient. Each had balconey with some oceanview. Both the studio and the 1BR were very clean and nicely decorated. Flat screen tvs and internet in each room. (The wireless wouldn't connect, but we hooked up thru a cable-- no problem.) Not a great selection of channels, and the satellite system was not totally reliable.

The staff was helpful and friendly, but don't expect a problem to be resolved on your time... And know up front of the extra charges for your room (a total of $4.50 per day per person due at checkout.) There was also an exchange "tax" of $50. So our bill at checkout was $113.00. (Be aware of phone charges as well-- the person in front of us had $100 in charges. We used Skype to call home to the States each day for a total of less than $2.00)

The restaurant and bar next to the resort were okay. We visited the small grocery across the street daily for wine and beer. And the French bakery a block away became a morning ritual.

St. Martin is a beautiful island with many of the same problems in other island nations-- poverty/unfinished projects/etc. The people are very friendly. We never had a language proble, and the dollar is accepted without hesitation. The traffic is quite interesting... You'll need a rental car--get full insurance... Roads are horrible (especially the Dutch side). Traffic moves at a snail's pace or slower. Allow plenty of time to get somewhere. And be aware of the bridge opening times...

The mountains and the beaches are fantastic. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate. Thursday early moring brought Hurricane Omar... The storm surge was bad at our part of the island. The beach was totally covered in seaweed-- which was not even touched until Saturday (two days after Omar and the day of our departure.) The Dutch side also lost power. Thank goodness the Atrium had a generator so we had electricity and water. But pretty much all the businesses on the Dutch side shut down. And due to a curfew the entire day Thursday, we couldn't get to the French side until Friday.

Be sure to visit Sunset Beach to watch the planes. (Check out youtube for some great videos.) And take at least one day for Orient Beach.

• Liked — Very nice facilities on a beautful island
  • Disliked — pool area
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bigred
Long Island, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Atrium Sept 20th-27th. Let me start off by saying this was a timeshare trade and our first time to St Maarten. It was one of the few trades available in the Carribean for the week we wanted so we booked it. The resort property was kept neat and clean but was very small, not like the places we are use to. The pool was small, nothing special. We had a one bedroom which was also neat and clean and very spacious. The staff was helpful with info about the area. Restaurants and casinos were in walking distance.
Now, about the beach at the resort. It was also nothing special. We spent the week at the beach and in the pool over at the Pelican next door. We also ate breakfast every morning at the Pelican. So if you just want a place to relax and are not interested in anything special, the Atrium is fine. We will return to St Maarten but not the Atrium.

• Liked — Cleanliness, spacious unit, walk to restaurants and casinos
  • Disliked — Beach and pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Linda1111
IN
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Spent Aug 30th - Sept 6th, 2008 at the Atrium. Stayed on 8th floor with a good view of the lagoon and overlooking the pool. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit, room 802. Unit was quite large and had everything we needed.

Nice beach and the water was not rough considering 2 hurricanes in the general area. Free beach chairs and umbrellas provided by the hotel- that is a first, We have always had to pay for them at other resorts.

Pool was clean and the water was warm- however it is a small pool. Towels provided at front desk. It is the off season, so a lot of things were closed or running on a limited schedule. Picante restaurant at the hotel, food was fine but they were closed alot.

Buchanners bar right beside the beach at the hotel, was a happening spot if hanging in the bar is your thing. They do have reasonably priced food, limited menu if you want to grab lunch while at the beach.

The one thing you will find is food is expensive on this island or else I never found the nontourist priced locations.

Free internet access in the lobby.

Take a boat to ST. Barth's- most beautiful beach I have seen.

Hotel overall was fine- rooms very clean- decor was dated but clean.

Be ware, we had a timeshare through RCI. three people in our party for one week and our checkout fees were $145, environmental free, timeshare fee, utilities fee.. Just don't want you to be surprised.

If you need a reliable honest taxi- I can provide the name and number of a guy we used- he was the best.

• Liked — beach, cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — Not the hotel fault, but it was slow season and alot of things were closed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank twparks1948
France
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Very good hotel. big room with a lot of space, nice view, private car park, good prices.....nothing to add!!!!

• Liked — Space
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank patcru
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My family just returned from a trip to St. Maarten staying at The Atrium Resort with my husband and 13 year old daughter. The Atrium Resort was a nice resort and centrally location from the Deutch and the French side of St. Maarten. The only concerns we had with the Atrium was that they put a block on certain websites like MySpace, FaceBook and You Tube and when you are traveling with a 13 year girl with her laptop that was a major no-no. We stayed in a 2-bedroom and it was clean. We had maid service every day which was a plus. The staff and the people of St. Maarten were very nice and accommodating. The tours guides that advertised at the resort were pleasant, reasonably priced and safe. When we needed a ride to a restaurant on the last day of our stay, one of the staff members gave us a ride in his car. We would definitely go back to St. Maarten so my 17 year old son could enjoy the experience. I would return to the Atrium Resort.

• Liked — It was in a great location to restaurants, shops and attractions
  • Disliked — Blocked on certain internet websites for teens
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Moma511
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Great price and excellent location--footsteps away from the beach and Picante beach side restaurant. Casinos and roadside restaurants are easily accessible by foot. Room was clean, except for some food left in the fridge by the previous guest...but housekeeping came shortly after we checked in to remove it.

Good AC unit and fully equipped kitchen, although no sauce pan or wine bottle opener...be sure to ask for one if your room doesn't have it, as they close housekeeping materials after a certain hour. Flat Screen TV, full USA cable channel lineup.

Grocery store right up the road. Free internet in the lobby. Overall great price and great room, but not for the ultra picky traveler.

• Liked — Location and fully equipped kitchen
  • Disliked — Traces of previous guests
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Atrium Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!