“Very average resort, it depends on your standards”

Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ok, I stayed at the Atrium for one night, and not by choice. We were stuck at the airport in St. Maarten overnight due to a tropical storm. We stayed in a room that had a full kitchen and living area, separate bedroom with a king bed, and a balcony with a peekaboo ocean view. I'm thinking that this was one of their nicer rooms, because of the view and full kitchen. It had 2 TVs, one flat screen in the living room/kitchen area, and one old fat tube TV in the bedroom. The bedroom TV made a hissing noise that I can honestly say I've never heard a TV make, and after we left it on and went to dinner, the noise seem to burn off and stop by the time we came back. I really hated the bed, as it had a bedspread (which I consider nasty as it's used over and over not washed between guests) and a blanket (again, nasty as I know it's not washed after every guest too), and scratchy sheets. The AC in the bedroom was very loud as it cycled on/off, so we switched it off and hoped that the living room unit would do the job. There were plenty of extra pillows in closet which was nice, and I saw a note that the sofa bed was made up in case someone needed it. The bathroom was old, I saw mold in shower/tub, and toilet was sub-par. It had this dark blue dye in the water, and I swear it used 20 gallons per flush- I was surprised they don't want to save on water and buy a new modern toilet. The flush on it wasn't strong either, which wasn't great. The kitchen looked pretty complete, for a family to make dinner there. The pool looked pretty, and we walked down to the beach from a little gate at the pool area, so it really was right on the beach.
I'm shocked at people who rated it excellent, as I can't go over an average rating. It needed renovations, not just scrubbing, and was even close to a Hilton or Marriott property standard. They did have good soap to use, had shampoo there, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. The peephole in the door didn't close for privacy, so anyone could peep in if they tried, and the bedroom had a window which faced the hallway of the resort, so it was important to close the blinds there so people can't see in.
We walked to dinner to the Boat House, and that was good eats. There are a lot of good looking places to eat along the main street. I'd call the area, at least at night, sketchy off the main street, and women shouldn't walk alone. Some weirdo hollered at us from above at another non-beach hotel, and it was creepy.
It was close the airport, which is what we needed, but we paid $200/night, and that was not worth the money.
Oh, this was annoying, the hotel book in the room said they pastries and coffee downstairs, but we never saw it. The lobby seemed like they used to be a bigger operation, but some areas were unused now and in disrepair. They had wi-fi in the rooms, free.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sparklesque
There are newer reviews for Atrium Beach Resort and Spa

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The timeshare was at a great location. It was very spacious. The staff were all very friendly. It was clean, but could use some simple fixes. For example a leaky air conditioner and a front door that was very difficult to open. They provided us with clean towels every day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Upon arriving, I had asked if there was any vacancy in one of the newly renovated rooms. I had a very kind staff member at the front desk who said she would check and I appreciated that she did that and I was in luck. I had a room on the 7th floor that was recently renovated and it was beautiful.It was big,very nicely decorated and had all the newest amenities,full kitchen with everything in it.Very clean,quiet,nice balcony overlooking the mountain. Beautiful sandy beach right on the property with very comfortable loungers accessible to all guests.Infinity pools were very attractive as well. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Great location in Simpson Bay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kate W
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We landed in St. Maarten expecting to hop on WinAir and go directly to Saba. The weather had different ideas -- Tropical Storm Rafael grounded us. We didn't know what hotel to choose and didn't want to end up in some drearily place. Well, we picked the right place. My husband and I decided on the one bedroom suite -- gorgeous! Obviously, everything is newly decorated. It's huge, fabulous kitchen with granite counters and stocked with dishes etc, great furniture with a colorful and tasteful Caribbean style. Bedroom is large with plenty of closet space and bathroom is larger than average. The living room has a sleeper sofa. Staff has been so friendly. We had a small problem with the AC in the living room, and they immediately sent 2 fellows who got the air up and running in short order. Our room is super clean and has a balcony with a nice view. Our friends chose the studio. Also, very nice. It has a kitchenette. We all agreed that we were very lucky to find the Atrium. If we're going to ride out Rafael, at least we'll do so in comfort. Price was reasonable.

Room Tip: We don't know if all rooms have been redecorated. We suggest asking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Atrium was a nice place to stay. I will probably stay there again because I am a Festiva Member. I was more disappointed in the way the guests and locals trashed the beach. Dogs roamed the area, guests at the bar/resturants left bottles and trash for hotel to clean. Early mornings was not clean. Toppers and the Taste Factory was my favorite. We toured the island with JoeJunieTours. The tour was the highlight of vacation. The Atrium is located in a good spot. Did not need a car. Use public transportation. I enjoyed myself because that is what I want went there for. It was what I made it!
Gwendolyn

Room Tip: for a view, ask for higher floors
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Gwendolyn B
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Rooms were very clean. Friendly, attentive staff, Two private decks with nice view but not ocean view as promised, Lovely pool area, two infinity pools on the beach. The beach is public, beautiful, and fantastic.
Fifteen minutes from airport and near public transportation. Restaurants in the area. I had a good visit. H. Emanuel

Room Tip: Corner suite is large and sunny.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Hortensia E
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Atrium for our 10th Anniversary trip through our timeshare trade. Initial impressions left a bit to be desired. The front desk staff was a bit surley but the baggage person was very personable and showed us all about our one bedroom suite. The suite was beautiful (we got a newly refurbished one) with new furniture, two balconies and a beautiful kitchen area. The bathroom and bedroom were fine but fairly unremarkable. We had a view of the mountain behind and the lagoon in front -- stunning. During our week's stay there, we had difficulty closing the sliding door to the main balcony and we had to jimmy it open and closed -- appeared that the lock catch had been majorly "remodeled" at some point. One morning I was in the unit alone and heard a buzzing noise and realized that it was the lock mechanism on our front door (which looked rather ancient from the get go). I could open the door from the inside, but it would not open at all from the outside. While the people were very nice and came to fix it immediately, that was two hours that they asked me to stay in my unit while they came and went to get the right tools, and switch out our card keys. Eventually, the handle to the sliding door broke and the shower rack fell down and we just fixed these ourselves.

The reception area of the hotel looks out onto a rather scruffy but harmless street and the first day we were there, we were accosted by MANY people trying to get us to timeshare presentations, which was annoying. These same people were at the Monday night cocktail party, so we didn't go. By Tuesday, all these people were gone and we did not run into them again.

We never got the "warm fuzzies" from folks at the front desks, but then again, we shirked the cocktail party on Monday and felt that perhaps this put us on a black list somewhere.

The beach is terrific -- quiet and warm with two bars nearby to get drinks from. Plenty of chairs, plenty of sand. The pool is really nice as well but we prefered the beach. The mojitos from The Greenhouse will rock your socks off, and during the time that we were there, they were doing 2-for-1 drinks from 11am to 7pm for Atrium guests.

The grocery store around the corner, while expensive, has everything you might want to cook in. We did not visit the convenience store across the street.

We ultimately ended up renting a car to drive the island because the buses were not as frequent and far reaching on the island as we'd hoped. We rented a car and drove the entire island AT LEAST twice and still only used a half-tank of gas. Easy driving in general, except at night, when the streetlights are dim and people are walking very close to the road since there are few sidewalks.

We had a later flight out and the hotel did set up a "hospitality room" for folks to shower and change in before heading out. That was very nice but the AC in the room was dripping all over the floor so everyone had to keep their luggage up on the beds. This was also a not yet refurbished room so it gave us a perspective on ours -- definitely go for the refurb.

I gave this hotel a "very good" rating because over all, our experience on the island WAS very good. However, we do not feel compelled to re-visit St Martin, and if we did, we would not feel compelled to stay at The Atrium again.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished room for sure and the higher up you are, the better, generally, for the best views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Atrium Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!