Ok, I stayed at the Atrium for one night, and not by choice. We were stuck at the airport in St. Maarten overnight due to a tropical storm. We stayed in a room that had a full kitchen and living area, separate bedroom with a king bed, and a balcony with a peekaboo ocean view. I'm thinking that this was one of their nicer rooms, because of the view and full kitchen. It had 2 TVs, one flat screen in the living room/kitchen area, and one old fat tube TV in the bedroom. The bedroom TV made a hissing noise that I can honestly say I've never heard a TV make, and after we left it on and went to dinner, the noise seem to burn off and stop by the time we came back. I really hated the bed, as it had a bedspread (which I consider nasty as it's used over and over not washed between guests) and a blanket (again, nasty as I know it's not washed after every guest too), and scratchy sheets. The AC in the bedroom was very loud as it cycled on/off, so we switched it off and hoped that the living room unit would do the job. There were plenty of extra pillows in closet which was nice, and I saw a note that the sofa bed was made up in case someone needed it. The bathroom was old, I saw mold in shower/tub, and toilet was sub-par. It had this dark blue dye in the water, and I swear it used 20 gallons per flush- I was surprised they don't want to save on water and buy a new modern toilet. The flush on it wasn't strong either, which wasn't great. The kitchen looked pretty complete, for a family to make dinner there. The pool looked pretty, and we walked down to the beach from a little gate at the pool area, so it really was right on the beach.
I'm shocked at people who rated it excellent, as I can't go over an average rating. It needed renovations, not just scrubbing, and was even close to a Hilton or Marriott property standard. They did have good soap to use, had shampoo there, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. The peephole in the door didn't close for privacy, so anyone could peep in if they tried, and the bedroom had a window which faced the hallway of the resort, so it was important to close the blinds there so people can't see in.
We walked to dinner to the Boat House, and that was good eats. There are a lot of good looking places to eat along the main street. I'd call the area, at least at night, sketchy off the main street, and women shouldn't walk alone. Some weirdo hollered at us from above at another non-beach hotel, and it was creepy.
It was close the airport, which is what we needed, but we paid $200/night, and that was not worth the money.
Oh, this was annoying, the hotel book in the room said they pastries and coffee downstairs, but we never saw it. The lobby seemed like they used to be a bigger operation, but some areas were unused now and in disrepair. They had wi-fi in the rooms, free.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atrium Resort & Spa by Festiva Resorts is your getaway in paradise. The smallest island in the world to be shared by two sovereign powers (The Netherlands and France), St. Maarten provides a winning blend of Caribbean hospitality and European sophistication. Rolling hillsides, blue lagoons and breathtaking views are just a few reasons why so many visitors return every year to this island. With its half mile of natural beach and an array of nearby water sports, the Atrium is practically paradise. This quiet, beachfront resort overlooks the calm Caribbean Sea and is minutes from the glamorous nightlife and duty-free shopping of both the Dutch and French sides of the island.Adjoining the resort's pool area is a Spanish tapas bar, Picante. In addition to light and delicious fare, Picante also features a jazz club. If tranquility, luxury and a full-service staff are what you want, the Atrium is the place for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Atrium Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atrium Resort And Spa By Festiva Resorts
- Atrium Resort & Spa By Festiva Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium St Maarten
- Atrium Beach Resort And Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay