“Don't Bother-Beware”

La Vista Resort
Toronto, Canada
“Don't Bother-Beware”
Reviewed January 6, 2005

Stayed at La Vista Beach resort for 3 nights in Dec and boy was that a mistake.!!.It was evident from the beginning that the Staff didn't care less for our well being..Even though we had made arrangements for a Cot and mentioned that our kids would be sleeping on the Pullout.there were no sheets in the Pullout, and of course they knew nothing about the Cot..They even tried to charge us $30.00 for the Cot which they failed to initially mention..Not that we used it..It was somewhat old and dirty. Upon our late night arrival, we called front desk to get sheets only to find out that the office closes at 5 and you're out on your own..The Security Guard was helpful however and did find us sheets and blankets..Our Phone remained locked for 2 Days and they mentioned that they were having problems with it..Had to drive into Town to make a call.. TV also had to be repaired...

Fodors mentions that you can use the Pelican Resort facilities next Door but there is nothing further than the Truth..They haven't had an affiliation in 5 Years.

When we asked for some Towels for the Beach, the Person at the Desk mentioned that there would be a $5 Dollar Charge Per Towel if we returned them stained..Please.!!.what did she think we were planning to do..They also charge you a fee to use the safety deposit Box in your room...which by the way needs serious updating!!( The Room that is )What a Mickey Mouse Motel

I'm still trying to recover from the Sore Back sustained from their Brutal Mattress which the Manager claimed was replaced 2 Years ago...Sure it was...certainly not in my Room

Worst of all, Sabrina at the Desk was indifferent and couldn't care less if you were there or not..but rather stared right through you.How frustrating..She should try smiling for a change..

I stayed here based on some of the reviews....we were fortunate to stay at L'esplanade for the first 7 Nights....I'm not sure where some of the People here are used to staying at..but if you need a 2 Star Motel , with an indifferent staff...and shabby accomodations..this is the place for you.

I consider my accomodations to be an important part of the Trip.Unfortunately we planned our trip quite late and got stuck at La Vista..If I hasd known, I would have left the Island early.

Don't bother with La Vista..Its a damper on an otherwise incredible Island

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank CanadaProud

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed January 3, 2005

This was my first trip to the Caribbean, which my partner and I had booked to celebrate my 50th birthday....Friends had encouraged me to check out St. Maarten, but when I started doing research on the internet I was somewhat discouraged by the kinds of mega-resorts that seemed to predominate on the island. When I came across the web page for La Vista, though, it seemed I had found a place to match my sensibilities and sensitivities....a relatively small, quiet, intimate and beautiful setting. Now that I'm back home (and 50!), I am happy to report that La Vista more than fulfilled its promise. I felt that I was truly in a Caribbean paradise. The views of the ocean -- with Saba in the distance -- from our cottage, from the pool, from the poolside restaurant, were absolutely awe-inspiring. But the beauty was not only in the ocean views, it was also in the charming cottages and suites, the magnificent plantings and landscaping (so many blooming things!), the night-chirping of the tree frogs (or whatever!), and the extraordinary warmth, sensitivity and responsiveness of the staff. Yes, we bought a time-share! It may have taken me 50 years to get to Heaven, but I'm planning on coming back!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
aurora,co
Reviewed August 19, 2004

We visited in july 2004 and fell in love with the area. Great resort, staff and island, so we are buying now.

• Stayed July 2004
2 Thank coloradoview
Reviewed July 13, 2004

La Vista was a wonderful place to stay - quite a lot going on around the hotel, with a deli, bars and the beach. The new addition to La Vista, La Vista Beach was wonderful - lovely pool side area and directly on the beach, so stay here if you can.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed June 23, 2004

La Vista offers the charm of a small inn combined with the service and professionalism of a large resort.

The pool, the view, the breakfasts are unsurpassed anywhere on the island. A real taste of Old St. Maarten - particularly in the original part of the hotel. Just perfect!

2 Thank EdArre
Reviewed April 27, 2004

We purchased our initial time share without even being a guest! We found La Vista on our last day in St. Maarten 2 years ago. Since then we have upgraded our time share, our son has honeymooned here, and 2 of our friends have purchased time here. Sooo, now every year we are guaranteed 2 weeks with our wonderful friends at the fantastic La Vista. The entire staff is excellent. We especially enjoy Caribbean Al who always reminds us in the winter that it is 85 degrees there!!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Amherst, NY
Reviewed March 30, 2004

We just got back from a fabulous week at La Vista. If you like a small (only 32 units) quiet resort with the most beautiful ocean views, this is the place for you. The staff was one of the most helpful we have ever encountered - they knew all the best markets, beaches, snorkeling spots, restaurants - and they spent as much time as you needed to give us driving directions, etc. The timeshare "salespersons" were the most lowkey that we have ever met; they know the place sells itself, so they do nothing but answer any questions you might have and smile a lot. The pool is a gorgeous overflow pool; you can swim in the pool and look out at the ocean. And the pool and surrounding deck areas were always peaceful and uncrowded. There is a cute little restaurant in the place with some lovely dinner music by local talent on weekends. The grounds are immaculate and full of beautiful flowers and plants. The units are spacious, most comfortable, and well maintained. The website is great, but the pictures don't do the place justice. We will definitely return.

3 Thank Louise M
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to La Vista Resort? Share your experiences!