Orbits reservations BEWARE of Mary's Boon! We are experienced travelers in our early 60's and can be pretty flexible. We reserved a Junior Studio - Garden View through Orbitz. We were delighted with the price and looking forward to our stay. The hotel is quaint and very much a beach hotel. I called early on to let them know we would be arriving late. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk told us she was going to upgrade our room, but couldn't because we booked through Orbitz. We didn't know what that meant until she brought us to our room.
We followed her past all of the Garden View Studios and Beach front studios all off of the same path. We made a right between two buildings down a dark alley to our room. I looked around and there was no view of the garden just another building and a lot of mops, brooms, cleaning supplies and a storage unit. She said smiling, "You will be staying in "Lucky 13." Before we even entered, I saw a red flag because hotels never having anything with the number 13 in it. It was creepy!
She opened the door and the room was tiny, dusty and and very dated. There was one small window which looked out on to another building. There was no garden view. There was no view. There was a king size bed, too large for the room with a three inch mattress with a board under it. We could hardly get around the bed to get to the bathroom, the TV was a top an old armoire which would have been impossible to view, there was no storage for our things and the kitchenette was two feet from the bed. Horrible!
I looked at her and said, we reserved a Garden suite for a week. She said, this is the suite you reserved through Orbitz. Surprised, we asked to be upgraded and she said she couldn't that night but that she would get back to us in the morning. But she never did. We paid for internet for the week and when we tried to log on, it didn't work. Called the front desk to let her know and annoyed she said that we would have to come to the lobby to use it cause the room was out of range. We spent the night only because we felt we had no other choice. We decided to leave in the morning if we didn't get upgraded. We'd rather loose the few hundred dollars we had as a deposit than stay another night in this room let alone a week. It was that bad.
The next morning, I told the front desk guy how dissatisfied and unhappy we were with the room and that we wanted to upgrade. He said he would get back to me, but he never did. So I requested an upgrade one last time, but added that my husband was a travel writer and was furious with the treatment we had received and the horrible room we were given and that he would not be saying many kind things about Mary's Boon. The next thing I know, he's in the manager's office. They talked then the hotel manager came out of the office. I said can you help us, we need to be upgraded. He said, "You've already talked with the front desk man (so don't bother me) and he will handle it. You booked through Orbitz so we will do the best we can. I said why do you all keep telling us "oh you reserved through Orbits? Why does that matter. We seem to be penalized for not booking directly." He said when you reserve through Orbitz, this is the type of room you get. I said how was I to know, I'm assuming that I will get the same kind of room you give to everyone else. This room is less than livable. He said we give Orbitz a certain block of rooms to sell and they are different from the ones we offer people who book directly and ... that's why you paid less. So if you have a problem, take it up with Orbitz. And he walked away. I couldn't believe he was the manager. He was horrible and could care less that we were guest at the hotel. We were being treated differently because we booked through Orbitz!
We finally got an upgrade for $50 more a day. We took it and never had anything more to do with the staff of the hotel. The room was also kind of dirty and dated, but it was four times the size of "Lucky 13" and had a beach view. So we stayed just to avoid loosing our money and the hassle of looking for another place.
Orbitz, you need to know that there is a Bait and Switch going on at Mary's Boon. The rooms you are selling are not what they seem and people that book through Orbitz, in our experience, are being treated with distain. We did not have a garden view and it was definitely not what I consider a Jr. Suite. The rooms given to Orbitz to sell are the low end rooms no one else would rent.
Would like to know what Orbitz is going to do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME TO MARY'S BOON BEACH HOTEL & SPA - recently under new management since November 2012 and now busy updating the entire property and rooms. Please note that many of the room photo's you see online have not yet been updated to show the new rooms. The owners and staff of Mary's Boon Beach Hotel & Spa invite you to experience the magic of our historic hotel on the beautiful island of St. Maarten. A true Caribbean style hotel with all the compforts you expect and in operation since the early 70's. This intimately run St. Maarten Small Hotel is tucked away from the crowds, earning Mary's Boon the soubriquet, "St Maarten's Little Secret". Located on a beautiful three-mile beach Mary's Boon is conveniently near to the action. Great shopping, dining, night life and outdoor activities can be found close by, while affording guests a private haven to return to at the end of each day.If all you want to do is to while away hours in the sun, then Mary's Boon has all the elements to ensure a relaxing break away from the bustle of everyday life. The Hotel offers several types of accommodations, from the very budget minded economy rooms to 1 bedroom beachfront suites and amenities include The Tides Restaurant, bar service is from morning to late evening, and a swimming pool is just step away from your room. The winner of many awards and just voted "BEST HOTEL" in 2013 by the readers of the St Maarten Daily Herald Paper! Lovely tropical gardens and all situated on one of the islands' best beaches. Mary's Boon, a classic Caribbean destination, provides a unique Island experience that has something for everyone! It's the NEW Mary's Boon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mary`s Boon Beach Hotel Simpson Bay
- Marys Boon Beach Plantation Hotel
- Mary's Boon Beach Resort And Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay