“Great little find in SXM!!”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Leesburg, Georgia
“Great little find in SXM!!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

What a great little hotel tucked away behind the airport!! We spent a day at this resort on our recent trip to St. Maarten. The hotel is is really quaint and cozy and on a quality beach. The best part about this hotel is that they offer free chairs and umbrellas to non guests and the beach is beautiful!! In addition, the restaurant, Tides, is outstanding!!! I highly recommend the beef tips in cream sauce. Delicious!!! We will highly consider this hotel for our next trip to St. Maarten!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steven R
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Very happy to hear you had a great day on the beach while at Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa. We are lucky to be on one of the very best white sand beaches in the Caribbean and always looking for ways to make it better. In the next few months we will be doing more upgrades to the rooms, beach and property so please keep us in mind for the next time. Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
st charles
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I did not know that this hotel ran along side of the airport. We listened to jets take off till 10pm before we had to get up and leave for our early flight the next day. It is deafening how loud it was. The hotel itself is very quaint and cute. It is along a beach. We were just coming back from Anguilla and had to find a one night stay before we left early. Everything seemed fine except when we went to go to bed the one room with a queen bed the sheets were filthy; filled with hair, sand and suntan oil. There was no phone in the room so we had to go to the lobby and they had security bring clean sheets to our room and we made the bed ourselves. I paid $234 for the night and I called today and management said he would check into what happened. I think for that money you could find a better place to stay. The jet noise was horrible. Definitely not a relaxing place. We did eat at their restaurant and it was very good and the service was excellent but I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mattbrooke
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I am sorry to hear about your experience in regards to the bed linens as this is not at all normal. When we have any complaints its normally from guests that arrive late in the day for a one night visit and leave very early the next morning as you did or book into the most budget room. I understand that you were in a two bedroom unit and I did speak to our property manager about this who said that the housekeeper simply just forgot to change the sheets on that extra bedroom or was not aware they needed to be changed. We do have experienced housekeepers that are human but at times not always perfect. This is not at all normal or acceptable. They do clean a lot of rooms every month for hundreds of guests and unfortunately sometimes these things do happen and I thank you for calling us to point this out so we can be better. Again my apologies as did the property manager already for the inconvenience as their is NO good excuse for that at all and the housekeeper has been warned and disciplined. If you feel compensation is due other than this, we can do that also but I feel we did resolve the problem the best anyone could and in fairly quick time, the airplanes stopped and everyone got a good night rest. I can not really answer the no phone comment as their are two phones, a phone in the master bedroom with the King Size bed and also a phone in the living room. If you did not get a dial tone right away sometimes you need to wait apx 5 seconds to connect. The hotel rate you paid for a two bedroom is really very competitive and very fair for the time of year you stayed which was just at the end of our high season as you may know from what you must have paid while in Anguilla. As for as the airport and any noise, all I can say is that the hotel has been there for 44 years and over the many many years thousands and thousands of guests have stay with us without issue about the airport at all. Its not that uncommon for Hotels to be close to or even next to the airport as we are and we share that same very close airport area with some of the best and largest hotels on the island, Sonesta Maho, Caravanserai, BeachSide Villa's both at the start of the runway to name just a few. We are more toward the middle which is better but the big and great difference is that we are lucky enough to be on one of the very best and longest white sand beaches on the island. Any noise is really minor when you compare the many more great reasons to say at Mary's Boon such as the beach and great staff is why our guests come back year after year and leave tan and happy and even relaxed. The airport is not normally a busy airport but jet flights do come and go but pass very fast and for a spit second yes it can be loud if outside but really in most rooms its not a problem...for most. Saturdays can be busy but after about 4pm most jet flights stop and at 1O pm their should have been just one arriving flight and then the airport does close for the night. If not for the airport and its height restrictions we would have a beach full of high rise buildings which would ugly up things and make it crowded so for that reason the airport is a blessing. We do appreciate all comments good and bad as we learn from that and appreciate constructive criticism. But the for those not knowing first time guests the "stay somewhere else" headline is a bit misleading given all the other great things our many guests (again not all) have to say and that have experienced more than just one night. I would say a little more accurate review would be we heard a few jets that passed pretty fast as did everyone else in Simpson Bay or staying close to the airport........ cause trust me its not just exclusive to Mary's Boon and everybody in the area hears the airport which is again not normally a big deal (for most) and not a good reason to not to enjoy all the great benefits of staying in what is considered a tourist area with lots to do and see. And if fact , the airport is famous for being one the most exciting and fun airports in the world and many come just to see the take offs and landings. As they say, two people can see the exact same thing completely different. Obviously the airport is a issue for a few and even a surprise to a few at first, but I can say as many already know Mary's Boon has a great repeat guest list that include who's who, fortune 500 CEO's, some celebrities and just a lot of great people from all over the world. With new ownership in late 2012 the Hotel as made a lot of improvement to the property and the rooms and more will be coming in 2014. We have been voted in the Top Ten Best Hotels in the Caribbean twice in past years by Conde Nast magazine and just voted the best hotel on the island in 2013 in the St Maarten Daily Herald Newspaper. This is not review board forum opinion but fact. I would say that most (not all) of our guest say the Hotel is definitely very relaxing if you just give it a day or so to do so and the staff is very caring and among the best you will find. Thank you for your visit and for the kind words on the restaurant and its service and hopefully if you ever make it back this way and have more time you will give us a chance again and so you can really appreciate the hotel and all it offers.
Kansas City
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went to St. Martin for three weeks. For two of those three weeks we were able to use our RCI timeshare exchange weeks. From reading other reviews and doing some research we chose Mary's Boon as the place to stay for our second week. Upon arrival, we were a bit apprehensive. We drove down a gravel road or possibly a road mostly washed out from rain. We found the office and found the owner running the front desk. The owner was very pleasant and check in was fast and painless. We were taken to our room and were more than pleased to find that we could walk right out of our room and be on the beach. The room was simple but clean. It had a very small type kitchenette, two double beds and an adequate bathroom. The hotel also had a small restsurant where you could eat and stare at the ocean. We wished that we had chosen Mary's Boon to stay at for our entire vacation. It is very close to the airport. That being its only downfall. A window was broken out of our rental car because of the airplanes coming and going so close to the hotel. Other than that the airplanes did not bother us at all. If we ever get back to St. Martin, Mary's Boon will be the place to stay!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank pattikellner
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Very happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon and thank you for the kind words. I noticed that you stayed with us about a year ago back in 2013 and since then we have made a lot of improvements to the hotel property and updated many of the rooms. Sorry to hear about the car window, not sure what the was about that but in January the airport did put up a screen between us and the airport that will protect from that happening again which was pretty rare. I see you are from Kansas City and where I grew up with lots of family still in the area. We are lucky to have really great beach which is one reason out guests return year after year, plus our great staff. I know vacations are to few and far between but the next time you want to relax in paradise please keep us in mind!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had never stayed in near the airport in St Maarten and decided to give Mary's Boon a try since we got a great rate and it was right on the beach.
We arrived at 12:15 and were greeted by a friendly gentleman and a more friendly woman who showed us to our room, which was ready. The room was clean and quite large. It had a small kitchenette. The furnishings were ornate.
We headed down to Karakters for lunch and some beers, but that will be a separate review.
After lunch we headed back to our room and showered, there is a huge walk in shower with a rain head shower. We went to the bar to have some drinks and as a joke my husband asked for diet tonic since that is truly what I drink and the bartender left and came back with it... wow is all I can say. We then moved to the dining room. We sat right at the edge of the rail looking at the beautiful ocean. We had some great escargot that were covered with cheese. An okay Caesar salad. Then our entrees, hubby had chicken, with sliced potatoes and it was cooked perfectly. I had the special... mahi mahi and it was wonderful and beautifully served.
Our king bed was comfortable and I liked the pillow more than most hotels. Air conditioning worked great, I like to be cool while I sleep.
Check out was not until noon which was another bonus.
The beach is nice, the chairs are free and the beer is cold. Lots of shade available.
I would recommend Mary's Boon due to the friendliness and excellent service of the staff and the beautiful beach. The rooms are fine and clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cindeeandjim
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Mary's Boon
A small boutique resort nestled between the airport and the pristine beach Simpson bay beach. It consists of bungalow style rooms with plenty of facilities and equipment such as a small kitchen with microwave, blender, toaster etc. The rooms are basic but comfortable.

Best feature is location - right on the beach with plenty of sunbeds to relax. During my stay the weather was around 30* degrees but with a gentle cooling sea breeze making ideal conditions.. The restaurant is set about 2m above sea level so the views at morning breakfast are simply spectacular boasting 180 degree views the whole length of the beach.

The main Simpson bay township is a 10min walk away and taxi to airport only 10min costing $12USD.

Only critism is quality of food at the restaurant - very average, I tried the eggs Benedict which cost $13. Will seek breakfast in town next time. Also only basic coffee available, no cappuccino. $5 Mojitos make up for it though with a great selection of 9 delicious flavours.

Resort is recommended as great value getaway location without any crowds yet in a convenient location. Ideal for families, couples, solo travelers etc.

** Warning ** Can be noisy during daytime as it is right next to the airport runway!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bloomfield HIlls, Mich USA
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We wanted a beach location for a couple of nights, and didn't want a big hotel. MB was perfect for us. Our room was on the lower level (we were on a budget), with no view, but we didn't care because we knew we'd be outside during day anyway. Spacious room with huge comfortable bed (see photo). We could hear the band from bar upstairs, but that was a bonus because the sax player was terrific. The band playing on beach on the weekend was great. Yes, the planes nearby were noisy, but we thought it was great fun to go up on the observation deck and watch them come & go (the plane noise is limited, because the traffic isn't as frequent at US big airports). All in all, a good stay.

Room Tip: Lower level room (see photo) next to wine closet was good and less costly than beach view rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Very nice to read your review especially from someone that travels as much as you do! Most people do like out lower lobby rooms after they get past walking downstairs as they are as you said nice size rooms at a budget price. Just up the steps is a great white beach about 30 sec away which is just one reason why most people stay at Mary's Boon. Many Sundays we do have a band on the beach that normally ends at 5PM, Saturdays and Sundays from about 1PM to 4PM the airport traffic is the heaviest but still not near as busy as a normal USA airport and fun to watch. The airport closes at around 10pm when the last flight arrives. Thanks again for your comments and please keep us in mind for the next time....its how I feed my kids!
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The room we rented was just okay. Was $150 a night. The room clean but dated. It has a glass window on the door, so even with blinds it was impossible to shut out the light from the enclosed entry. The room stayed relatively bright all night long. There was no view. This was one of the cheapest rooms with a king size bed. I'm sure there are better deals to be had in the area. The quality of the food was very good. We met friends for dinner. The snooty French waiter said he couldn't split the check between the us and the other couple. This was a first for us on SXM after six trips here. He just didn't want to do it. Aside from our server, I found the other employees friendly and outgoing. This was the ONLY place on the island that we ate at where 15% gratuity is added to the bill regardless of the size of the dining party. The receipt then has a place to add a tip. If you don't pay attention, you could be tipping your server more than you want without realizing it. I dislike this practice unless there's a large group of diners. The location is nice, but so are a lot of similar places in SXM. The food was pretty good. The service a little sketchy. I wouldn't stay there again unless there was no other choice. I feel the room was overpriced. I think the place could stand some updating.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank luandpat
I would like to thank you for your visit to our hotel and for your comments as its always nice to hear our guests thoughts, good or bad so we can make things better. We do have a few rooms with glass windows and curtains with a light just outside the door. I like a room that is as dark as possible too at night so I can see how that could bother someone so we have just added heavier dark out curtains to the those doors. Yes, of course their is always a better rate to be found. Your visit was during our very high season and the budget room is $150 plus taxes per night and we do try to stay as competitive as possible which for a hotel on the beach is about normal for the time of year and location. We have updated about half of the rooms last year and will update most of the others before this fall. Glad to hear you enjoyed the food in the dining room but really sorry to hear about the bad service as their is no excuse for that. No idea why they can't split a bill. The Restaurant and Bar are not operated by the Hotel and is leased out by another local company so we don't control that but I will for sure pass your comments along to the restaurant owner. I am not crazy either about the practice either but I will say that the adding of the 15% to the bill is really fairly common on the Dutch Side of the Island and is normally the tip. If you return to St Maarten again please do give us another chance, it your not 100% happy just pay us what you think is fair. It not just about the money and we do try to make every happy and give good value. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!