“One of the Carribeans hidden gems.”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Once again we returned to St Marteens and stayed for 12 days at Mary's Boon, another great stay, if your looking for all the frills of a 5 star resort this is not for you, but if you are looking for that more intimate resort on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean than Mary's Boon is for you. This is one hotel you need to experience at least once and you will be hooked. The rooms are tastefully decorated and are all very spacious, they are currently renovating a number of the rooms. Can't wait to return once again...

Room Tip: We like the rooms towards the airport on the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wazza262
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Very happy to hear you had another wonderful visit to Mary's Boon. I can assure you we are looking forward to your rapid return to Paradise just as much as you are! Thanks!

There are newer reviews for Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was searching for one night stay close to the airport as I was arriving late evening to St. Maarten and leaving early morning. I wanted to stay in hotel in walking distance from airport terminal for acceptable rate. Unfortunately I did not find anything in walking distance. Therefore this was sort of compromise between comfort, rate and distance from terminal. Taxi to the hotel was USD10 even distance is really short - and in the morning I had to pay USD15 as I was leaving just 5 minutes before 6am when additional charge applies - (but having suitcases it's not worth to walk). Arriving to the hotel in later evening was comfortable and the guy at the entrance gave me a key without having to go to front desk. Room was nicely equipped and comfortable. Yes it was equipped some years ago but still it was functional including small kitchen area. My room was sort of basement room with limited size windows but it really did not matter to me as I was feeling good inside. I had a chance to walk on the beach which was very nice and comfortable to spend vacations in this area. I was afraid of the noise from the airport that is just few meeter away but I did not hear almost anything. I spent comfortable night in this hotel and room rate was excellent. The proximity of the airport might be an issue for some guests - and it's important to choose good located room. I can imagine this hotel was really good years ago - now best years are over - still you might spend good holidays in this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin P
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

I want to thank you for your visit to Mary's Boon. Yes the taxi fare from the airport is normally as you said and the reason its little more late at night or early in the morning is because their is not as much demand at that time so they have to charge a bit more since they have less business. For late night arrivals such as yours (office is closed after 9 pm) the security guard has the key for those late check inn's. As other hotels, we offer many different rates and room category/ budget to deluxe,etc and the room you had was one of our most budget room and what we call a lower lobby room which is one level down for our main lobby area and perfect for a quick visit. I think most guests would say its a nice size room with high ceilings and one high window and we are in the process of updating those rooms also. As you pointed out some of the largest hotels on the Island are very close to the airport as is Mary's Boon which is along Simpson Bay Beach. Most people first thought is OMG its really close to the airport....but Airport noise is generally very limited during the day and nothing like a typical or larger airport and the airport does close at night and the many great things normally to most way out number the airport which also can be fun at times too. Mary's Boon was one of the very first Hotels on the island over 40 years ago and is constantly being improved or updated and the hotel still has a lot of really great years ahead and not just in the past. I would say 90% of any sort of negative review or comment comes from guests that arrival late, book into a budget room and then have to leave early before having the opportunity to explore the charm that Mary's Boon has to offers. If you ever have the time, please do visit us again and I will make sure you have the great Mary's Boon experienced that so many have enjoyed over the many years. Thanks again and safe journeys for the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my second stay at Mary's Boon. My wife and I and another couple visited from Aug 30 - Sep 3.The staff was great. They even remembered me from my last visit 7 years ago! The property sits on what's arguably the best beach on the island. With the exception of Sunday (which is when all the locals go to the beach) the beach was peaceful and not crowded at all. We stayed in Rm 109, the same room I stayed in on my first visit. The room is considered a 1 bedroom beach front. It's very roomy with a separate sitting area and kitchenette. My only complaint is that the room hadn't changed at all since my last visit and it needed an update. Fortunately, the hotel is in process of remodeling the rooms. It's a cute small hotel. GIven the friendly staff and the location I already consider it a great spot and would definitely stay there again. However, I think the much needed upgrade to the rooms will put this place over the top.

Room Tip: Go for the beach front studio or 1 bedroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I wanted to thank you for your return visit to Mary's Boon and say I am sorry that I did not get to meet you in person. I just missed you as I had to return to the USA to get my kids back into school but I am normally around most weeks. But as you know we have a really great staff that just wants to make your vacation the best ever! As you might know we owned the hotel from 1996 to 2007 and just bought it back last Thanksgiving day. We are in the process of updating all of the rooms and property...not sure yet about rooms 109 and 110 as we might just replace the entire building with something bigger and better but it will get a facelift before high season at the very least. I think we did add some furniture and maybe a larger TV in that room already. Anyhow I do very much appricate your visit and your thoughts and please do keep us in mind for the next time you come to St Maarten, as I say...its how I feed my kids! Thanks!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just got back last week from paradise, we stayed the week of 8/10-8/17. If i knew than what i know now, I wouldn't be writing this review i would still be in the on beach at the boon.
My wife and i picked up that week of a friend of ours who has a few time share weeks there. She told me she has been vacationing at the island for 20 plus years.
So, we took her week and we stayed at her beautiful 1-bedroom on the beach. The unit was #10 and I believe unit #9 has the same layout, though a bit different decor. the unit was very spacious with a full kitchen and fridge. the living-room was equally impressive size with a nice leather sofa that had two recliners on each side. It has cable tv in the living room and satellite tv with a flat screen in the bedroom. the bedroom had a king size bed and was very comfortable.
the location in our opinion bar none is the best on the island. its literally in back of the airport and in the middle of simpson bay. We live close to an airport in nj and never get tired of seeing the planes take off and land. its hard to believe the planes really don't bother you, for i believe the first flight out is like 8ish and the last flight in is probably 9ish. so dont let thought of plane let you pass by paradise. they also have an observation deck where you can watch planes take off or land....real cool.
the beach in front of the resort was spectacular.....calm, clear, blue water just what the doc prescribed. the funny thing was we rented a car searching for the best beaches on the island and the reality was we just had to open our french doors to get to it. I would suggest bring your snorkel gear, for you can see little fish swimming around. The beach it self was empty and for what i understand that most of the time its like that. we have never been to a beach that nice were basically it was just my wife and myself. there are plenty of chairs even if you wake up late for the beach.
the property is owned by mark and carla, which we had the pleasure of meeting on our trip. they are great down to earth people that not only care about improving the resort but making sure the guest is happy. i got so many tips and ideas from them. we were there just for a week but i see them hard at work improving the property. i loved the architecture of the property, for most inside of the buildings have the exposed wood beams. the exposure of wood beams and railings juxtaposition to the palms and simple garden walk way gives it a true Caribbean feel like no other.
the staff also help define mary boon is a place where not only a vaction begins, but where you come back to see family. it was such a pleasure to see melvin every morning. he would drop my papers by the door early on the morning. i would usally catch him a little later as he keeps with grounds. he would always ask me if we were having fun, and i would also get his thoughts if were going out for the day.....tell melvin we said hello, his friends from jersey. we also had the pleasure of meeting carol and tracy ann, who were taking care of our unit. they made our stay clean and comfortable.
we highly recommended this resort for family's, friends, couples, or even singles. marys boon is a treasure to explore for anyone looking for a resort with true Caribbean character.
again, thanks mark and carla and please don't make too many changes wee love the character of the resort.
we dont repeat vacations but i think we will have to repeat marys boon next year :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank offonvacation

It was our pleasure to meet you have you as guests at Mary's Boon and a sincere thank you very much for the kind words. Even though their is just not enough time in the day for everything, after almost 17 years Mary's Boon is still my passion. We all work very hard everyday to make sure every guests vacation is just as good as the one you experienced. We have a GREAT staff and yes Melvin is one of the best of the best, he forgets nothing or no one and remembers everything....even from the early MB days over 40 years ago. But he is really pretty typical of most Island people and why they call St Maarten friendly island. So when it gets cold up in New Jersey or even when its not cold keep Mary's Boon in mind when you want another great vacation. I'm Mark Cleveland (not Tom Bodett- motel 6) and we'll leave a light on for you.....oh, and a chair on the beach! Thanks again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staying at Mary's Boon was a happy accident for me. My destination on St. Maarten was ultimately Maho Beach to see the planes land. The resorts near Maho ended up being prohibitively expensive, so I started looking for resorts that were walking distance to the famous beach. That's how I found Mary's Boon.

Let me start with the headline: The best thing about Mary's Boon is that it's off the beaten path. The worst thing about Mary's Boon is that it's off the beaten path. This resort is tucked away on Simpson Bay, and it's a quiet little resort away from the fuss and fanfare of St. Maarten's tourism. Conversely, you're tucked away from the fuss and fanfare of St. Maarten's tourism. If you want to see and do stuff, you either need to rent a car, take a taxi, or walk at least 15 minutes. If you want a quiet little resort where you can sit by the beach, sit by the pool, and have a few good meals, Mary's Boon is your destination.

What makes Mary's Boon an absolute gem is it's people. Everyone who works at this resort wants to make their guests have a good time. This includes everyone from the office staff, to the housekeeping staff, to the owners, to the kitchen staff, to the wait staff. Everyone is friendly.

No matter what myneed, the staff was there to help. What impressed me was that Mark and Carla would sit down and talk to their guests about anything related to their stay or anything in general. The owners truly lead by example. During my visit, the entire island was having a problem with mosquitos, and saw I Carla coming around at breakfast with both bug repellent and aloe to sooth bug bites. Mark and Carla exemplify St. Maarten's reputation as "the Friendly Island." During my entire stay, I was treated like a guest in someone's home and not someone who had just spent a lot of money for a night in some big hotel. That's what makes Mary's Boon so special.

My stay wasn't perfect, but I can sincerely state that the pros clearly outweighed the cons. Wifi in my part of the resort was spotty at times, but Mark tells me that they have some mobile hotspots to work around that issue and that they're workig with a contractor to build a better service for their guests. Maintenance in my room was pretty good, but not every room has seen this level of care. The owners are trying to catch up on some issues that the previous owners ignored.

I had a lovely stay at Mary's Boon. Was it perfect? No. Will I go back? You'd better believe it.

Room Tip: Go for anything beachfront. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike H

Mike, I want to thank you for your visit to Mary's Boon this past summer. It was nice to talk with you during your stay as its always good to get the thoughts of a well traveled person. Yes, even though we are very close to most tourist types of things and right on Simpson Bay Beach MB is a little off the beaten path....which as you say is good news for those who find us and bad news for those who don't. I guess I will have to break down and put up some direction road signs! Unfortunately nothing is just perfect in life but more importantly we do try to fix what's not perfect so when your ready for a nice little get-away from Boston please remember us. Thanks again!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My favorite place in the caribbean. Would not think of staying anywhere else. We try to go to Mary's twice a year. This year we went in March for 9 days. Couldn't get enough so we came back in June and stayed 2 weeks. That was more like it! Through the years we have come to know many of the wonderful people who make this place so special. It's like coming home when you are greeted with such warmth and you just know your stay will be perfect. Even Stripe & Molly were happy to see us! I must say when I read some of the negative comments, I almost take it personally, but people have the right to their own opinion. I watch as guests leave to venture out to other beaches on the island and wonder why - Mary's beach is just so perfect - never crowded, attentive staff, your room steps away. Breakfast and lunch are always wonderful. Dinners can be inconsistent, but the location and atmosphere far outway this. When we do venture away from Mary's - even for the day, we find ourselves anxious to return. It is apparent the work that Mark is doing to improve, there's always a project going on, but I hope they stay mostly cosmetic because Mary's Boon is the real caribbean experience and not too much needs changing! I do miss being able to have a massage though, maybe soon? Don't change it too much Mark! Love it just the way it is....We can't wait to return and maybe we'll squeeze in visit #3 this year - keeping fingers crossed.....my best to Melvin, John, Lisa (keep in touch), Neilia,& Carol, all very special people.

Room Tip: I'm keeping my room favorite a secret
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelertostmartin
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Very happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon.....again! Like I always say to my staff, most people just don't get enough vacation time and that's way we work hard everyday to try to make sure your vacation at Mary's Boon is as good as it can be. Yes, lots of upgrading projects going on and I am working on having the Spa fully open again and better than ever by late fall. Thanks for the kind words and we all look forward to seeing you back at Mary's Boon very soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We flew from Australia and initially booked for one week, after the first few days we changed our mind and stayed for 3 weeks, Mark the previous owner has now taken over the hotel again. The staff are wonderful Jo in the office, Melvin in the yard and Lisa in the bar just to name a few, Mark and the staff make you feel very comfortable and special. the location of the hotel is superb, you can walk to sunset beach and watch the planes, or walk to the bars and restaurants in Simpson bay or just enjoy one of the best beaches on St Marteens. After 3 weeks we left and moved around the island for 2 weeks but returned for 3 more days before we left. I would highly recommend this hotel for couples or families you will not leave disappointed.

Room Tip: choose a unit on the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Warren S

Warren, thank you! What a real delight it was to have you and your wife stay at Mary's Boon and so happy you enjoyed your visit. I know it's not a easy trip coming from Australia to St Maarten but I hope you will return again and again. Safe travels wherever in the world you might be!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!