Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)
View Hotel
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsobservation deckairport runwaygarden viewdogs and catsclose to the airportplanes taking off and landinglow seasonst maartenwhite sandocean frontcable tvthe entire staffsmall poolchairs and umbrellasa king size bedthe main roadrented a car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Mary's Boon last March for one night while connecting to our flight home. My review is a bit dated and things may have changed, but from recent reviews it appears not. I think there is a fair variation in the types of rooms available. We had a beach front studio room (225 USD with AAA discount) which was on the beach and part of a row of several. The only windows were at the end of the long narrow room next to the door. The furniture was mismatched and really tired looking (motel quality) and the appliances had rust around the bottom of them. There was not a lot of natural light in the room. The TV was rather old and required a visit from the guy at the front desk to get it working properly with the satellite. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was also dated and the shower not too appealing. Overall the room had the impression of a tired, dark motel room. There are at least a few rooms below ground in the basement of one of the buildings - these are the cheapest, so beware what you book. I did not see the interior of these, but there would be little light down there. Other rooms may be finished to a totally different standard since I think some are privately owned and rented by the hotel.

The beach in front of the hotel is filled with beautiful white powder sand and nice beds or chairs for lounging in the sun or shade. The water is nice and clear, but does drop off quickly - at least it did then. That can change with the sand shifting as a result of storms. You can walk about a km at least in either direction on the beach.

The hotel is situated right behind the runway for the airport so if you like to watch the airliners taking off and landing, just walk out on the beach a bit and you have a great view. The flights end before late night so they aren't a problem overnight usually.

The hotel is set in quite a bit from the main road so it is a fair walk (maybe 15-20 min) out to the main road through Simpson Bay and the restaurant and shops area. I wouldn't walk this area to and from the main road alone at night.

Staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly and let us store our bags for awhile when we checked out. The restaurant was ok. We ate breakfast there and found our waitress a bit inattentive and testy.

The pool was extremely small and set in bushes near the entrance to the hotel. It was not too appealing.

Overall, I think if our room was representative of the rest of the hotel, I think you can do better along even the same beach strip, for the same price. If you want peace and quiet (from airplanes) this is not the best place for you either. My recommendation is to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in the basement.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrtravcan
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We'd been throwing around a possible trip to SXM for a while, as it was on my "bucket list" to see the famous beach at the end of the runway. Looked at a few places on both the French and Dutch side, then agreed to go to Mary's Boon for it's proximity to the beach and Sunset Bar. Are we ever glad we stayed here, even happier once we saw where the other places we'd talked about were located.

It's a small place, only about 40 rooms. Sure, it's an older property, yet well maintained, clean and everything you may need is within walking distance, I loved the fact that Mary's Boon is not one of those sterile, impersonal megasized chain hotels! Raul, the owner, is blessed to have such wonderful staff. Lemuel, Elena and Melvin really made us feel like we were at home, even though we had never been there before. John kept the beach (best on the Dutch side) spotlessly clean, not a scrap of rubbish to be found around there. Have lovely Lisa at the bar make you a wildberry mojito, guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Friendly dogs Molly and Stripe, and Moonglow the cat are around to say hi to anyone who may be missing their four legged friends back home.

We stayed in a studio loft (2nd floor), which had a fully equipped kitchen with everything we needed, but I got the feeling that if there were something missing, I could have asked Carmen and she would have found it for me.

If you are looking for a calm and caring place to be yourself, this is it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AC_092
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel, but I stayed at a privately-owned condo within the hotel. I really like the location, and the beach was very nice and you are right on it. Parking is adequate, and secured. I can't say enough about the staff. Every one was very friendly, and friendly cat & dog came with the resort!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had a beachfront room for seven nights with 2 colonial single beds.

The room is good, spacious. Housekeeping was good.

Pro's:
- space
- beach
- kitchenette in the room
- friendly staff
- location (airplanes are not the frequent)

Con:
- micedroppings in the bathroom every morning
- tv did not work

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rbrench
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Great place great atmosphere .... loved being so close to the airport and the runway but far enough away for it to be peaceful beach was great and pretty private no crowds the staff was friendly and helpful can wait to go back !!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple