“Excellent”

Cuisines: French, Swiss
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I use to live in st.martin for almost 15 years. My family still lives there so I go back each year. And we make it a point to go at least once have dinner here. Everything is amazingly good. The service is very friendly. I recommend everyone to go here at least once!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

OK, so this was my first visit to a fondue restaurant and I'm not sure it won't be my last too! At 22 Euros a head for the Swiss cheese fondue, I Was expecting a little more than half a baguette cut into chunks and a pot of melted cheese with some wine & herbs added...

Am I missing something?!! I could have done an approximation myself by roasting a Camembert and dunking french bread with a glass of white wine...

Not for me. Service & setting were OK.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We wanted fondue and raclette so we headed to Le Chalet Suisse on the road from Marigot to Terres Basses. We almost missed it because its sign is so worn out that the only thing you can see is a small Swiss flag. The entrance to the restaurant is equally inadequate. But don't you miss it! Once you are inside, it's like being in a cozy Swiss cave: rustic, cool ( A/C) and picturesque. We were a group of 14 (including 2 small children) and even though we got there after 9 PM without a reservation, a table was promptly set up for us. The fondues and raclette were superb (portions are quite large) and so was the salad with goat cheese and honey. Isabelle was so friendly with her service that we felt quite at home. She brings the cheese for the fondues and raclette from France and Switzerland when she goes on vacation to visit her family. We had a lovely dinner !

P.S. Be aware that service is included in the price of food. Leave a small extra tip if service was great.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I hadn't been to Le Chalet since I moved back to the States in 2010, but despite my long absence, Laurene remembered me. She is a fantastic server, always happy to accommodate any tastes and preferences. I've never picked out a bottle of wine there - I always rely on her recommendations, and she has never steered me wrong. The champagne cheese fondue appetizer is absolutely to die for and definitely the fastest way to get me to jump off the Paleo wagon. The ice creams are also the best I've ever had. I recommend getting no less than two per person and sharing them. The flavors are so unique. Both the food and service here are of the highest quality, and I will certainly be back next time I'm on island.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The owner, Isabelle, has a location in Grand Case that we understand to be closing but nonetheless we ate here during our trip to St. Martin. The food and service were outstanding!!! The first night we went there, we had already eaten dinner but decided to go there for dessert. Laurene was a friendly server and brought us our crepes. We LOVED the crepes and couldn't get over what a find this place was. Our 11 year old son noticed something at another table - a melting cheese that caught his attention as we had never seen anything like it back here in NY. We were intrigued and my son was determined that we should go back the next night for dinner to try the raclette cheese. It did not disappoint!!! We thought it was delicious and quite filling. We did manage to make room for more of the crepes after spending some time walking around and shopping in Grand Case. We would highly recommend this place and found Isabelle, the owner, and Laurene, our server, very sweet.