“Well deserved reputation”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Maryland
“Well deserved reputation”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here during our stay, and it was the best meal we ate on St Martin. We were seated on the marina deck next to the water, outside the restaurant. It was a Thursday evening, so there was live music across the canal- a nice jazz trio. A lovely setting right around sunset. I had goat cheese soup with some smoked duck as an appetizer and the soup was creamy and lightly seasoned. My husband had a goat cheese salad with lovely fresh greens and 3 goat cheese rounds. For dinner I had red snapper filet with basil Parmesan topping which was subtle but delicious. Three small sides came with the meal. Including the best ratatouille I have ever had, and a delicious carrot purée. My husband had pasta with seafood which good but not extraordinary. My husbands Black Forest cake for dessert was artistic and outstanding. The service was professional- friendly but not over bearing. We would definitely eat there again.

1 Thank barbrw99

“Amazing lunch”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Tropicana was recommended to us by a couple that goes here every year for their anniversary. We happened to be in Marigot for lunch and decided to walk to the marina and try it. We sat by the water and enjoyed the most delicious meal we have had in years. From the rabbit to the salad of the day to the fruit dessert it was absolutely wonderful. Reasonable priced for amazing food. Lunch made a great way to enjoy at much more reasonable prices. Make a reservation, even for lunch, as this restaurant is busy and many people were turned away!

1 Thank Patti A
scottsdale
“Outstanding food in Marigot! Loved it!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is a bargain for what you get. 5 star cuisine at a 3 star price. The food is so darned good here, I can't stop thinking about it. Do not miss an opportunity to eat here in Marigot and get the desserts. GREAT service and food.

1 Thank shendrix
New York City, New York
“Didn't Care For The Floor Show”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I keep a home on the island and frequent the better restaurants in SXM regularly.

Tropicana overlooks the Royale Marina Marigot. The waterfront atmosphere outside and the charming ambience within are this restaurants most memorable features.

We ordered the pan fried fois gras and the Mediterranean seafood salad as appetizers...both were outstanding! For entrees we tried the special seafood rissoto and the sliced chicken breast. These entrees were well prepared but lacked in flavor and were quite forgetable.

The real weak point was the poor service. We had a dinner reservation for 7:30 and were seated promptly. However, menus didn't appear for 20 minutes and the first morsel was served another 20 minutes after the menus. We noticed a bit of confusion over a couple who had arrived after us and whose reservation apparently went unrecorded. The hostess finally accommodated them with a table but only after an unnecessarily loud call to their hotel ... in the end they were served well before we were.

I ordered a cotes du rhone with the fois gras and as the appetizer was being cleared, I requested a savignon blanc to compliment the coming seafood rissoto. The white never arrived ... but it was offered after the meal was done and the check was being calculated.

While waiting a very long interval for the check the hostess inquired loudly across the adjacent table of an elegant couple as to why no desert or coffee for us. We demurred kindly, but I thought her behavior was very rude to that couple ... something one might expect at a truckstop along the highway ... certainly not at a fine restaurant.

In summary, the atmosphere rates a 5, the food deserves a 4 and the service barely gets a 2...I think the problem here resides with the hostess (maybe the owner) who spends way too much time putting on a "high volume --look & listen to me--floor show" rather than concentrating on the assurance of quality service for her clientele.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RudesterSXM
Greenville, South Carolina
“My wife and I have been eating here for many many years and it just keeps getting better and better”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We spend many months in St Martin and In fact have a small apartment on the French side. We have been eating at Tropicana for many years and I believe Emanuel the chef-owner is one of the most outstanding chefs in the world. I say chef because whatever he prepares is outstanding. Lat night we had a risotto with conch under a wonderful red snapper. The risotto was the best I have ever eaten. My wife had the duck which is always superb with puree of wonderful vegetables like only Emanuel can do. Nadege has more personality in her little finger and always makes you feel special. Laurent a server and all around gal friday too is very friendly and caring. Not only is the food probably the best on the island, but they care about the people they serve. The location is beautiful and romantic, the food is outstanding with flavors that are mind boggling good. There wine list is selected by Nadege and Emanuel and it is perfect with everything they serve. This is a must restaurant to eat at. We've already made reservations for a number of future meals. Reservations are a must.

• Visited February 2014