“New reno???” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Marigot
toronto
“New reno???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Have stayed here four years now we were told that they were renovating. The only thing changed is main lobby painted,and new chairs in dining area. The rooms are still the same except we had a flat screen tv but still no more channels and only one English that being cnn.towels are now one for the whole stay or they charge a euro per towel to exchange each time. Breakfast is included but nothing exciting they now charge for fried eggs or omlet 4$ . I. Recommend walking to nearby grocery store and getting pop and water for much more reasonable and put in room fridge. All I can say is they need to learn what renovations really are and do some soon as there looking tired.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunsandlover77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Walnut Creek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

You can't beat the beach front location, lap pool and quick pedestrian access to charming French side, Marigot.
Our room, 268, had anew pedestal sink and the tub/shower now have new hand held shower equipment. The staff are wonderful and the breakfasts (included) were very good. I appreciated the homemade French bread, pastries and the two Illy Expresso machines.
Much prefer the old world charm of Marigot and the scale of this hotel to the Westin in Phillipsburgh.

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank BillyTraveler
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here about three years ago and it was okay. Fast forward three years to a December 2013 visit and it was beyond horrible. Old, outdated, and just plain bad. We arrived and the front desk person called up to the maid to see if our room was ready. She said yes. So we hauled our bags up three flights of stairs as the elevator was busy and when we get there, the maid was just going into the room to make it up. So we had to haul our bags down three flights again. The front desk person told us she hates when the maids do that to her. Clearly it was a pattern.

We went out for lunch and came back. The room was horribly old and outdated. We asked about the lobster buffet dinner they used to have on Friday nights and they said they no longer had it. There seemed to be no plan about whether the restaurant was open for dinner or not. I went to the room and around 7:30 p.m. my husband (who was in the lobby with his sister and brother in law) came back and said the restaurant was starting to open for dinner. I skipped it.

The next morning we took showers but after I was done, the water handle wouldn't turn off and the water kept running. We called the front desk and their solution was to just turn off ALL water to our room versus bring in pliers and just trying to turn off the handle as clearly the faucet handle had been stripped. So how were we to wash our hands or go to the bathroom?

Breakfast was beyond disgusting. The eggs were bad. The coffee pots were foaming which meant that they had washed them with soap and didn't rinse them out well so the soap foamed up the coffee. There was nothing to eat there that was any good. I had nothing.

When we were trying to check out, my husband got in the elevator with his bag and the doors closed so fast, I couldn't get in with him. I figured I would just wait until it came back up. It didn't! He was stuck in the elevator. He pressed the "alarm" button and I could hear a phone ringing at the front desk but they couldn't bother to answer it and no one came to help him. He pried the doors open like Bruce Willis in Die Hard and got out!

This hotel needs a bad renovation. Its workers are disinterested and they just shouldn't be open for business. The locals in St. Maarten seem to like it but if you are from off the island, don't bother.

Room Tip: Don't pick any room! Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelingGal62

Travelers are raving about these Marigot hotels

Salta, Argentina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Booked it at a prime rate date. New Years! Big mistake!!! Hotel staff was so hostile upon our arrival we kept wondering if this place was the actual correctional service in the island.
Rooms are very, very old and outdated. Bathroom is rusty and 17th century style. Water in the shower was weak.
Internet didn`t work and we were handed out a mobile modem which didn`t even turned on. I do have to say that breakfast was really good, but as we found out later every place offer super good breakfast! It is a hotel worth $79 rather than $300 a night

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for two nights with my family and two friends before boarding a yacht at Oyster Pond. It was a great choice as it gave us an opportunity to get to know the French side of the island.
The hotel has a beautiful setting on the Baie de Marigot and we spend a lot of time on the veranda enjoying the view.
I choose the more affordable island view rooms which is obviously not as nice as the rooms with a sea view, but for the purpose we selected this hotel the rooms were great value for money. The rooms are spacious with a selection of a kingsize or two double beds. After spending a week on a yacht at St Thomas the kingsize bed was fantastic. The bathrooms are large with strong hot water in the shower, something I have learned to appreciate on the islands.
It is true that the TV was in French only but that did not really bother us, rather more of a motivation not to spend time in the room.
Great buffet breakfast with a wide selection and very friendly and accommodating staff.
We had a few bar lunches downstairs with reasonable prices in comparison with the rest of the island.
Lastly I would like to comment on the reception staff that I found very accommodating and friendly. They really went out of their way to accommodate our requests, after we missed one day due to Liat directing our flight from St Thomas to St Kidds instead of St Martin. Al the time helping us in English even though we could hear that they are struggling with the language.
I will definitely stay hear on my return to the island and recommend the hotel to my friends. If you are in the area the bar on the veranda is a good choice for lunch.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JacoCl
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here on a Sunday night before taking the ferry to Anguilla Monday morning. I paid $110 on orbitz for the night in a street view room, which included a breakfast buffet and a free welcome drink for both of us, so it was a pretty good value, especially since we were able to walk to the ferry.

The staff in the hotel were pleasant and tried to be helpful despite not really speaking English. No issue there. I am in their country, the communication problems are my fault for not knowing any French. The room was kind of odd. It had a nice large balcony with a table and 2 chairs, and some really solid, nice doorwalls that kept out any road noise. The furniture in the room was bulky wood and seemed out of place. The bathroom was dated and needed to be gutted. The bedspread was faded and well past its useful life. The tv was ancient, small, and had 6 fuzzy channels in French. Totally agree that you aren't in the Caribbean to watch tv, but if I had stayed for a week, the inability to watch a single American channel even for a few minutes would have bothered me. The room also had actual keys rather than keycards, which I find cumbersome.

The lobby is fairly nice. The pool is ok, the beach serviceable. The property overlooks a bay full of boats, very pretty. If I had been staying at this property for my actual vacation, an upgrade to waterfront wpuld have been necessary. The breakfast was pretty good. Several hot dishes, lots of breads, fresh fruit, and a variety of coffee makers, served in a room overlooking the pool and the bay.

I don't think we got an accurate picture of Marigot. We have talked to others who say it is great, but because we were there on a Sunday, and all but about 2-3 restaurants were open, we didn't see the appeal. It seemed kind of dumpy. We had been through Marigot only 1 other time, on Xmas day several years ago, when of course, everything was closed. Maybe someday we will see Marigot at its best.

I feel like, with some work, this could be a really nice property for those who like Marigot because it is so close to town and has a beach, pool, bar, restaurant, etc. For now, for me, it would be nothing more than a ferry stop in the way to Anguilla, and next time I will probably stay around Maho Bay and take a cab to the docks, because I prefer the nightlife in that area.

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than a night, go for the oceanfront room. The street view was ok, but th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank advonefin
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Hotel Beach Plaza has been our home base on St Martin for the last six years. We love the location on the beach and the proximity to the the town of Margot. The building is old world and has been battered by storms but the rooms are clean the staff is friendly and efficient and the Continental breakfast is one of the best anywhere . The hotel currently undergoing renovation and we look forward to visiting the new and improved facility.

Room Tip: The price of an ocean front room is more than wot hit with great views of the anchorage and the town...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marigot
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Le Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!