“Nothing Special About Pre-Fixe Menu Items”

La Petite Auberge Des Isles
Ranked #15 of 90 Restaurants in Marigot
Cuisines: French
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Salem MA
“Nothing Special About Pre-Fixe Menu Items”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant as part of a lagoon cruise to Marigot. We had had lunch at the Tropicana earlier in the day and made choices from the regular menu. On this package, you had an option of either a chicken, fish (mahi-mahi) or filet mignon in a bearnaise type sauce (I forget the name of the sauce, but it was is in that vein.). None of the more ambitious menu items was offered. Clearly, this was a value menu, not one to show off what the chef can do. My wife ordered the fish and I ordered the filet mignon. Ordinarily I don't order a filet mignon when I order a steak as, while it's tender, it lacks fat and rich flavor that a cut like a rib-eye can offer.

The waitress did not ask me how I wanted it cooked, so I asked her a few minutes after I ordered how it would get cooked. She offered that it is ordinarily cooked medium rare. Fine. That's how I like it.

When the main courses arrived (I won't say entrees, because in French cuisine, the entrees are the appetizers), I noticed that the filet was grey, though covered with the sauce. It looked overcooked to me. I tried it and, indeed, it was. It was dry and chewy. I showed it to the waitress and she concurred, and took it back. A few minutes later, a new plate of it arrived. It still looked grey, but it was much juicier. The sauce was tasty, but I was still dismayed at the meat. I mentioned to the waitress that I normally expect a medium rare filet to be a bit red inside. She replied that it was pork, not beef. It did not say so in the description. There are those who do object to eating pork (I'm not one of them), and not describing it as pork could have offended. Moreover, being described as a filet mignon, I was certainly expecting beef. The waitress replied that it was a filet mignon of pork. We call it a pork tenderloin. In France, they call it a filet mignon of pork. Again, there was no mention that the meat was pork on the menu.

We had a decent, but nothing special salad, and a decent, but nothing great dessert.

All in all, I could give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt that their prix fixe menu was not their best foot forward, but really, why put out merely decent food when it's possible that it's a restaurant-goers first and only impression. So the food wasn't bad, but given that we had such better French food on the island, this was closer to so-so.

The location? I love the lagoon view. You are right next to the water, with boats docked all around. It's quiet there. Very relaxing. A nice place to eat. We did enjoy the Tropicana restaurant 50 feet or so away quite a bit more.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank AnalogJ

Middletown, New York
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We took the Calypso Dinner Cruise, which brought us here for dinner. From appetizer to dessert, my fiance and I loved every bite!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sheila M
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fantastic local food”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Great food, great location. We went there two people after having asked for a restaurant with local food. We were greeted by the owner and the waitress, the kindest and sweetest people we met at the island. They suggested a great meal and we had the feast of our trip.
The food is Caribbean local when it's the best. Not touristy (not when we were there at least) and with a nice atmosphere. You're seated basically at the harbor front. It is not a fancy type place but local and kind.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Martin Nordal P
Ottawa, Canada
“a little gem”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

It's easy to miss this restaurant. It's not part of the main Marina Royale action. Instead, it's at the far end of this delightful waterfront area: you have to follow the curve and then suddenly, there it is around the corner, the sole survivor in a darkened row of shuttered businesses.
I've been eating here for years, and under its new ownership, it continues to offer memorable value in an area notable for its high prices. It's the sort of place where the young owner-chef is apt to come out of the kitchen for a friendly chat before returning to continue his creation of culinary delights.
It's a cosy place with fewer tables than most establishments on the marina, but with attractive views of the bay and boats of every description.
I have never had a bad meal here, but for visitors watching their budget I would recommend the prix fixe menu which offers a selection of three courses at a total cost less than that of a single course elsewhere on the marina. Starters include an excellent French onion soup and a signature house salad which is normally my choice. Entrees, always garnished with a selection of beautifully cooked vegetables, include Mahi Mahi, chicken and a daily special. The prix fixe menu's dessert offering includes a choice of ice cream or a magnificent warm chocolate cake.
The wine list is impressively reasonable for St. Martin. Still, I must report that the service on my last visit was cheerful but erratic. Language difficulties may also have been a factor, but the server seemed unfamiliar with the need for a customer to punch in a PIN number on some credit cards, and also there was some confusion not only with my order but orders placed by other diners.
But this is a minor quibble. This little waterfront restaurant is wonderful

• Visited February 2012
Huntington Beach, California
“Gourmet Dining At Its Best!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in Marigot and spent a lot of time walking around the Marina there. On our second afternoon, we skipped lunch while we shopped around. About four p.m., we finally became hungry and stopped at the very unpretentious La Petite Auberge and inquired about their menu for something to carry us over to dinner.

We had passed there the night before and there was no one dining at 8 p.m. and so we thought that perhaps the food might not be good. There was a couple just leaving, she having had too much to drink and having difficulty standing up, and her husband raving about the food and the wine. He said that it was the best food on the Island. I usually prefer not to take recommendations from those who have difficulty walking but we decided to give it a try.

The Chef quickly suggested something light, as we had already made dinner arrangements for later that night, elsewhere and didn't want a full meal. My wife had an absolutely wonderful salad paired with a nice French Chardonnay and I had a sea food risotto type of dish with a good Bordeaux. The portions were substantial and the tastes were superb! Excellent dining with a great view of the marina! The tab came to €38! We will return there for a full dinner on our next trip back to St. Martin!

• Visited January 2012