“Fantastic local food”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Great food, great location. We went there two people after having asked for a restaurant with local food. We were greeted by the owner and the waitress, the kindest and sweetest people we met at the island. They suggested a great meal and we had the feast of our trip.
The food is Caribbean local when it's the best. Not touristy (not when we were there at least) and with a nice atmosphere. You're seated basically at the harbor front. It is not a fancy type place but local and kind.

2  Thank Martin Nordal P

Reviewed March 15, 2012

It's easy to miss this restaurant. It's not part of the main Marina Royale action. Instead, it's at the far end of this delightful waterfront area: you have to follow the curve and then suddenly, there it is around the corner, the sole survivor in a darkened row of shuttered businesses.
I've been eating here for years, and under its new ownership, it continues to offer memorable value in an area notable for its high prices. It's the sort of place where the young owner-chef is apt to come out of the kitchen for a friendly chat before returning to continue his creation of culinary delights.
It's a cosy place with fewer tables than most establishments on the marina, but with attractive views of the bay and boats of every description.
I have never had a bad meal here, but for visitors watching their budget I would recommend the prix fixe menu which offers a selection of three courses at a total cost less than that of a single course elsewhere on the marina. Starters include an excellent French onion soup and a signature house salad which is normally my choice. Entrees, always garnished with a selection of beautifully cooked vegetables, include Mahi Mahi, chicken and a daily special. The prix fixe menu's dessert offering includes a choice of ice cream or a magnificent warm chocolate cake.
The wine list is impressively reasonable for St. Martin. Still, I must report that the service on my last visit was cheerful but erratic. Language difficulties may also have been a factor, but the server seemed unfamiliar with the need for a customer to punch in a PIN number on some credit cards, and also there was some confusion not only with my order but orders placed by other diners.
But this is a minor quibble. This little waterfront restaurant is wonderful

Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights in Marigot and spent a lot of time walking around the Marina there. On our second afternoon, we skipped lunch while we shopped around. About four p.m., we finally became hungry and stopped at the very unpretentious La Petite Auberge and inquired about their menu for something to carry us over to dinner.

We had passed there the night before and there was no one dining at 8 p.m. and so we thought that perhaps the food might not be good. There was a couple just leaving, she having had too much to drink and having difficulty standing up, and her husband raving about the food and the wine. He said that it was the best food on the Island. I usually prefer not to take recommendations from those who have difficulty walking but we decided to give it a try.

The Chef quickly suggested something light, as we had already made dinner arrangements for later that night, elsewhere and didn't want a full meal. My wife had an absolutely wonderful salad paired with a nice French Chardonnay and I had a sea food risotto type of dish with a good Bordeaux. The portions were substantial and the tastes were superb! Excellent dining with a great view of the marina! The tab came to €38! We will return there for a full dinner on our next trip back to St. Martin!

3  Thank photoguy66degrees
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is one of the best places to eat on the whole island, and believe me, Saint Maarten has many wonderful places to dine. we can't wait for our next visit to the island, because we will certainly return for the great food and the wonderful warm friendly service.

2  Thank LizabethRose
Reviewed August 6, 2011

nice small hidden awesome food friendly and helpfull staff. Hospitality as its best, strongly recommended. Prices are great, food is fresh prepared,menues are nearly to big to eat them,we will be back