“Remote (and therefore scared of being robbed) but beautiful.”
Review of Paradise Peak

and up
St Maarten Nature Walk and Snorkel Tour
Ranked #4 of 28 things to do in Marigot
More attraction details
Owner description: Those who hike to the top of the island's highest mountain are rewarded with wonderful views.
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I will start by saying I have never hiked before. This was my first experience. You drive approximately 8 minutes up this tiny road that only fits 1 car so you pray you don't meet another car going other direction. We had rented a Corola and it barely made it up since it was not that powerful of a car. If you don't want to do any actual hiking there is a left you can take (a "Y" in the road) that takes you right up to the top but we stayed on the main path that took us to these iron gates (peoples houses) where it dead ends. From there, we walked up this path. It was about 200ft and steep. I was warned of robberies before I went so I was very paranoid. We luckily were fine and seeing another couple at the top made me feel better. It is very remote up there where something could happend and no one would ever know. Being so paranoid took all the fun out of it for me. Note, my friend (who is a big guy) would tell you only positive things. We did hide stuff in the truck but reading another review on here- they will still look in trunks. Just don't take any valuables and enjoy and find the left in the road so you don't have to hike.

3  Thank emoore22

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Great view, not easy to get to. I wouldn't say this was a can't miss.

2  Thank Lisa_and_Brad
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I am the adventurous type. Traveling is the best way to understand the world that we live in today, so I tend to travel a lot now, while I can. St. Maarten is a beautiful and friendly island to visit. I still feel this way even after we were robbed. Yes, robbed in one of the most beautiful places the island has to offer. Paradise Peak is on the French side of the island, the road is narrow and rough. At the top you come to a dead end, tall grand gates that state ‘No Parking” on it (it was an entrance way to private property.) Next to is it a small path between that and a telephone or electricity house. Displayed are large signs in multiple languages saying to lock doors, take all personal belonging, and be careful. Right off the side of the path is a small sign “1 minute walk” with an arrow pointing in the direction of the path; this sign was in a person bad handwriting. That is when the bad gut feeling started. There was another car/4x4 parked behind me (which was there before we arrived), a black tracker (I believe that is the name of the car) with big bright yellow arrow on the side of the doors. I questioned the other saying it didn’t feel right and I didn’t want to walk over. It felt like and looked like a scene in a horror movie. But instead of following my gut, I got out of the car and grabbed my bag, and followed the 5 others with me. It was beautiful; the path was small but not so creepy. The sound of the barking dogs is what made me feel like we didn’t belong. When we reach the top we started to take pictures, then I heard the dogs start to bark again. Once I heard them bark again I got the eerie feeling. I told the other that we should go back that if the dogs are barking there must be someone over there. I was told I was being silly and to just relax.
We walked back to our cars and drove down the mountain…stopping at a side platform which over looked the sun setting. I wanted to head back to the hotel before the sun fully set; I still felt a horrible feeling in my gut. As we were about to drive away my friend stood before my car with a shock look on their face. The said to me”we have been robbed”, it was then when I realized and said there was someone in that black and yellow car behind me… the dogs barking... I knew something happened. As we stood there, then black and yellow 4x4 came down the mountain. It was a young man with short (dark) brown hair, tan skin (but still a light complexion) and looked skinny. He smiled at us and took off down the mountain. We never caught him and when we went to file a report at our hotel they said it happened on the French side we needed to do it there. He stole $1400 and an iphone. At first I kept thinking what if we went back when I heard the dogs barking… what if we caught him in action… He could have a gun, knife anything. I was thankful that no one was harmed and it was only money (and a phone.) The rest of the trip we all were more careful, we still met many nice people and enjoyed our stay. I must say in all my travel I was never robbed. I love the island and do plan to visit it again. I am sorry for the long story but I felt it was need to say all of it.

21  Thank Jmv247
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I am very sorry to read that many people seem to have had trouble getting items stolen from their vehicles while hiking here. I lived here for a year and hiked Pic Paradis many times and never had a problem. Granted, I never wore any jewellery or left any valuables in my vehicle while parked up there. It is a very remote part of the island and thieves know that lots of tourists will be parking their vehicles up there, so don't leave any valuables in your vehicle!

If you follow the signs, they will lead you up a very steep and quite narrow road. It will seem like you are driving forever, but, you will eventually get there. This way is a lot quicker than hiking the entire mountain. There isn't really a parking lot, so, just park by the side of the road at the top in a clear area.

Follow the dirt trail and explore! The views are very beautiful. I would recommend wearing pants and bringing bug spary as there can be lots of mosquitos there.

3  Thank Alberta83
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We discovered this on accident. Followed the crazy steep road to the top, parked near the telcom tower and walked the last minute down the dirt road to the view. What a view it was. Even though it started raining on us while we were up there, the spectacular views definitely made it worth the trip. You can get a very clear view of Anguilla. I would definitely recommend stopping here if even just for a few minutes for a great photo op.

5  Thank lewis01utk