“Do not go. Car was robbed”
Review of Paradise Peak

and up
St Maarten History Tour
Ranked #4 of 25 things to do in Marigot
More attraction details
Owner description: Those who hike to the top of the island's highest mountain are rewarded with wonderful views.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Do not go. Car was robbed”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We had read about the beautiful views, so we thought we would give it a shot. Our SUV made it up just fine but when you get to the top, there is a gate to a private residence. There is a small sign (probably posted by the thieves) that says 1 minute walk to the view. We walked up this very narrow path which was nerve racking due to what we have heard. We barely got to the lookout point, when we heard honking from where we parked. We rushed back to find the homeowner for the gated house at the top. We had blocked him from getting in his house. We moved the car and he pulled in his gate. He then walked back to tell us that we should probably leave due to he saw some men hiding in the woods as he pulled in the driveway and we will probably get robbed if we stick around. He told us this is a huge problem and the thieves wait in the woods for tourists to show up. He also said the government is going to install cameras in the area to try to catch these guys. After leaving there my wife looked in her purse to find that all of our money was already gone. However the rest of our stuff in the car was left alone. After talking to some transplants on the island, they said this is the most dangerous part of the island and tourists should not go there. We heard stories of people getting robbed at knifepoint and them stealing everything in your car along with the tires off your car. I think the guy who lives at the top saved us from a much greater loss than what we experienced. I would not recommend going here as it is so remote, anything could happen and nobody would ever know. Thanks to the man living at the top.

32 Thank Maschafer

Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“scary trip but wonderfull view”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

it is road for 1 car to up and down!!! very scary. but absolutly wonderfull view!!!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank chicagoBurbsIllinois
Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Beautiful views, very poor(sometimes unsafe) parking”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a beautiful place with beautiful views, but my friends who live on the island have warned me not to venture there via the road, but to enjoy those views via Loterie Farm'strails. Some of the most breathtaking views on the island.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank SassyRedGal
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Remote (and therefore scared of being robbed) but beautiful.”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I will start by saying I have never hiked before. This was my first experience. You drive approximately 8 minutes up this tiny road that only fits 1 car so you pray you don't meet another car going other direction. We had rented a Corola and it barely made it up since it was not that powerful of a car. If you don't want to do any actual hiking there is a left you can take (a "Y" in the road) that takes you right up to the top but we stayed on the main path that took us to these iron gates (peoples houses) where it dead ends. From there, we walked up this path. It was about 200ft and steep. I was warned of robberies before I went so I was very paranoid. We luckily were fine and seeing another couple at the top made me feel better. It is very remote up there where something could happend and no one would ever know. Being so paranoid took all the fun out of it for me. Note, my friend (who is a big guy) would tell you only positive things. We did hide stuff in the truck but reading another review on here- they will still look in trunks. Just don't take any valuables and enjoy and find the left in the road so you don't have to hike.

Visited March 2011
3 Thank emoore22
Syracuse, NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice View, not easy to access”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Great view, not easy to get to. I wouldn't say this was a can't miss.

2 Thank Lisa_and_Brad