“DI - a collection of innovation”

Diamonds International
Ranked #16 of 64 Shopping in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

am not much of a diamonds or any precious jewelry person. but when i walked in their collection impressed me. i bought the crown of light diamonds. love the way its cut to shine like magic.
the people in the stores - Vijay and Renu were very nice and friendly. they offered me the best price.
will drop by again next time!

6  Thank sindhurajaramji
There are newer reviews for Diamonds International

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just to highlight the wonderful shopping trip we had at DI in St Maarten. Friendly staff, not too 'pushy' and eager to help without being 'in your face' - as we experienced at some other stores!
I love haggling to get a deal...and its good to note they can accommodate you in this regard...so go and try grab yourself a bargain!

2  Thank Karen T
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently went into the St Maarten store and purchased a Tanzanite gemstone. We were told this was AAA grade quality and investment grade colour and clarity. As the ship was leaving we agreed a purchase and the Celebrity shopping guide brought the gemstone and the paperwork was emailed several days later. DI used the Tanzanite Guide published by their company Tanzanite International to show us the colour and clarity grade.

When we received the appraisal, the gemstone was appraised at a colour grade 2 levels below what we were told and the clarity grade was simply put as "type 1". When we contacted DI, they have refused to issue an appraisal conforming to their own Tanzanite International guide or the GIA guide. DI state there is no "industry standard guide" for Tanzanite.

We requested a refund as the gemstone was not as described in the store. DI have insisted we read their terms and conditions in store, even though the paperwork was not supplied then. The purchaser also has cataracts and can't read small print so this would be impossible.

DI are insisting that we get an "independent appraisal". We are based in London and Dublin and the only acceptable appraiser for DI in the UK is based in Edinburgh and in Ireland is based in Roscommon. Both of these locations are not convenient and DI should be selling to customers in Europe if they do not accept appraisals from all but 1 appraiser in most countries.

In addition the Appraisal from DI is vague on both colour and clarity and therefore even if we got an alternate appraisal there is no benchmark to compare it to. My sense is that DI has been fully aware of this difficulty and knowingly issued vague appraisals that cannot then be challenged.

I also have to add that I have emailed DI on about 10 occasions and telephoned twice over the space of 10 days before getting any kind of response from them.

We also bought whilst on a Celebrity Cruise and DI is a recommended seller so you get a 30 day guarantee with Celebrity and a 30 day guarantee with DI. I can vouch that neither guarantee offers any protection and are not worth the paper they are written.

Tomorrow I will be calling the credit card companies to stop payments and enter into dispute with DI. Any suggestions or past experiences that may help in dealing with DI would be most appreciated.

11  Thank Barry O
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our recent trip to the Caribbean was made more special by Diamonds International by the free charms they handout to visitors. Our teenage girls collected a charm at each port and bought a few extras to add. They proudly wear their charm bracelet and tell their friends about each of the ports they visited. Staff were very friendly and helpful and also encouraged us to enter the draw for our cruise ship and told us about their specials. One day I'll go back and get a beautiful anniversary gift from one of their stores. I just love checking out all their beautiful pieces and dreaming about what might join my jewelry collection down the road!

1  Thank schnauzergal
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This company will always go out of their way to make you a happy customer. I have shopped at DI numerous times at many different locations including the Caribbean and on NCL cruise ships. The store in Philipsburg was extremely helpful in finding me a Philip Stein watch...they made sure I had the right watch and didn't overpay by trying to sell me one of higher value. Very impressed with this store.

1  Thank Trevor P