“Absolutely Perfect”
Review of Red Baron Charters

Red Baron Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore St Maarten/Saint Martin in a catamaran that rips through the water with grace, style and comfort. Captain Mike will navigate the blue Caribbean waters to explore the beautiful beaches and reefs that both the Dutch and French sides of the island have to offer. Come seek the hidden treasures and jewels of the Caribbean with us.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 8, 2018

I booked the trip for a group of 19 on a recent trip to the Caribbean. We were on a cruise and we did this as an excursion. I was a bit nervous when we 1st started communicating because sometimes Captain Mike would not respond to my emails for several days. Once he did, he explained that the power/internet was spotty at best on the island (still recovering from the hurricane). All communication was clear and so thoughtful- I just had to be patient.

I was also worried about taking an excursion that was not through the cruise ship, but captain Mike assured me that he would take great care of us and that we would be back in plenty of time for our departure. His partner, Elmira, picked us up early and we were delivered back to port with time to spare..so my worries were for nothing.
The trip was absolutely amazing and my husband said he had the "best day of his life". We are world travelers and scuba divers, so that says a lot!

What was so special about the trip was the incredible service that Captain Mike and Elmira delivered. They were so kind and thoughtful and enthusiastic to have us on board with them. The boat was very nice and clean and the captain had lots of good stories and information as we cruised to our destination. Elmira made sure that we were very well taken care of. She started by offering us coffee and pastries and always made sure we had a drink in our hand. They served a wonderful rum punch and offered additional rum to anyone that liked it really strong. They really seemed to care, and wanted to make sure everything was just how we liked it.

Once we reached the island of Tintamarre, we went snorkeling. We saw lots of turtles, a stingray, a baracuda and lots of little fish. We had plenty of time there and did not feel rushed. You do need to be a strong swimmer or stay close to the boat, because it is very easy to chase the turtles, and then realize that you are far away from the boat. This happened to a couple of our kids. It is nice to know that Elmira is a rescue diver and if there was an event, she could help!

Captain Mike was running the BBQ grill while we were in the water and once we got back on, there was a beautiful spread of food- a total feast! They had grilled meats, homemade potato salad, olives, green salad, caprese salad, tuna salad, bread and fruit!! Everything was delicious and we even had more time to swim after lunch.

The ride home was a blast with more rum punch, beer or anything we wanted- not to mention a wonderfully eclectic mix of music and some rocking speakers.

I really can't say enough great things about this operation. The boat is great and the service is top notch. If you are thinking about booking a charter with them, I would say- go for it...it might just be the best day of your life.

Date of experience: April 2018
"rum punch"
in 4 reviews
"rough seas"

Reviewed April 8, 2018 via mobile

We booked captain Mike with Red Baron for a private charter of our group of 19. We had 9 adults and 10 kids...most of the kids were ages 9 through 11 but we also had a couple of younger kids. We had read that the boat was perfect for smaller groups of 8-10 but honestly we were just fine with our larger group. Mike and Elmira took amazing care of us. We felt so pampered with the awesome boat, tour, music, Coffee, breakfast, amazing lunch food (amazing!) and constant delicious drinks and rum punch! We were the first tour of 2018 for them due to all the hurricane damage and boats needing repair. We are happy to report that it was the most amazing day and one of my top memories ever. Snorkeling with the sea turtles was a fantastic experience. If you have young kids in your party make sure to tell them. We didn’t and they didn’t have quite enough small snorkeling gear for the little ones (totally our fault for not informing them) so just a suggestion to make sure that is covered. I can’t thank captain Mike and Elmira more for the truly perfect day.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed September 11, 2017

Captain Mike and Erwin went well above the norm to make sure all were having a good time and safe! I'm ready to go again!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Made port in St. Maarten on the Disney Fantasy. Was a detour from Tortola, due to Torrential rains and a nearly missed Hurricane. I made the booking over Skype at 8:00PM Saturday night for a Tuesday sailing, spoke to Captain Mike. All arrangements were precisely executed and exactly as communicated. We disembarked the boat at 9:30 AM, and the First Mate, Erwin, was waiting for us just outside the port facility. A short walk to Dock Martin and we boarded the boat, a 42 foot Lagoon. The boat is a bit older, but lovingly maintained. I would describe it as having not a single cotter pin out of place. All lines, properly coiled and tied.

Captain Mike is a former German Engineer and the most unique combination of obsessive compulsive and incredibly easy going at the same time. Erwin, his first mate and chef is from Rotterdam and equally as precise and affable. You will not go wrong with this crew. Captain Mike is a master dive instructor with over 25k dives under his belt and the story's to match! This crew spares no expense to make you feel comfortable, at home and pampered.

We sailed with a private party of 8, 4 adults, 3 teens, and 1 toddler (4years). The crew took great care of our youngest and had a life jacket that fit him perfectly. 8-10 is a good size party for this boat. I hate cattle boats and prefer sailing with just my party. The Red Baron was perfect for this mission.

Our charter was shorter than I would have liked, due to our late port and early departure. We made two stops at 2 different beautiful beaches. Marine life on the Cruise ship side of the island is a bit sparse, but water was warm (In he low 80s), with no current. Next time, we do this trip, we will request Tintamarre as our destination. Nonetheless, the cruise was amazing and I got profuse thank you's from my very picky and frugal brother-in-law, first time ever! Kids had an amazing time, even mine, who have been diving in the Maldives, Aruba, Sipadan, etc. Something about sailing on a private charter and snorkeling in the warm Caribbean is just magic.

Food onboard, what can I say? Amazing. Strip steak, beautifully marinated chicken, pasta salad, watermelon for desert. Croissants and coffee for breakfast. Ample water, sodas, beers of your choice. Pina Coladas, Bloody Mary's, Captain's Punch. Kids loved it, we all had seconds. Our compliments to the Chef, Erwin! Gourmet for sure!

On return Captain Mike treated us all to Ice Cream. This was a day that we all will remember for years to come. Kudos to the crew and team!

Date of experience: August 2017
3  Thank Trevor888
See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2017

Captain Mike and Erwin made this trip extremely enjoyable. Mike is super fun to get to know and he helps bring out the sense of adventure of being out in the open water. Erwin is also great to talk to and an even better cook, I had my doubts about cooking food on a boat but what Erwin delivers is top notch, especially the homemade olive oil mix for the bread and potato salad, and I don't even like potato salad! The snorkeling was decent, we only got to see one turtle and a couple of barracudas but the experience itself with the people we got to meet and being able to swim in such pristine water made it the perfect trip for those looking for something a little more relaxing. Oh and there is a really neat dutch cheese and wine shop that the dynamic duo recommend you to try out at the end of the trip.

Date of experience: July 2017