Review Highlights
Day out with Red Baron not to be missed.

Highly organised and professional and very friendly, myself and my partner thoroughly enjoyed... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Rayiow1
Beautiful Day..

Me and my husband had a wonderful day aboard this boat, the hospitality of the captain and crew was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Voyager08692527133
via mobile

All reviews captain mike uninhabited island day trip bbq grill coffee and pastries grilled lunch foot swells his life set sail sea turtles chicken awesome trip boarded the boat took great care st maarten bucket list rough seas
Reviewed July 27, 2017

What a wonderful day full sun, sailing and snorkeling. Captain Mike and Erwin were great. The lunch Erwin prepared was one of the best meals we had during our stay on the island! Definitely will book with them again!!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed July 20, 2017

This trip for me was definitely one to remember! Evan and Michael were fantastic people to sail with, making me feel very comfortable and helped me have a blast to and from the island. Sailing on the way there while sitting on the nets was extremely fun, and you should listen to the captain when he says that you consider taking some of the seasick medicine just in case. Upon reaching the island, me and my friends disembarked and swam around in the water for a bit, going off to the reef in hopes of finding some colorful fish or hopefully looked out for some of the turtles, but unfortunately for us the water was a bit murky that day, making snorkeling a bit hard. We didn't see many fish, but some people said they saw a stingray bury itself into the sand. After we snorkeled for a bit, we decided to get back onto the boat to relax a bit, but after returning a barracuda was stationed directly under the boat! It sat there for the remaining time we were there. The food and the captains punch was probably some of the best food and drink that I had on my entire SXM trip this year! The steak was a bit spicy at first, but paired up with Evan's mayonnaise made it incredible! Also, the captain had some pretty sweet red fuzzy socks on haha! Definitely would recommend this trip to anyone who has the time to set aside an entire day to take a trip off to Tintamarre and hopefully see some seaturtles! Also, at the end of the trip, you get to taste some really good pistachio flavored ice cream!

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

On our recent visit to SXM, my family took a day sail with Captain Mike and Erwin. He has a 35' catamaran, and it has a covered sitting area on the aft, and "trampoline" seating in the front. He only books up to 12 people per day, so there is a lot of room for all. On our trip, we had 10 people, 6 in my group and another family from back east. Cost was $120 per person, with a discount for children. We booked through our excursion desk at the Royal Islander Club, but I think you can also book direct. As far as we could tell, there was no advantage to doing so.

We sailed out of Phillipsburg, and around the coast. We could see most of the other islands such as Saba and St. Bart's. We also saw some of the "rocks" on the way. It was about 2 hours of sailing to Tintamarre. Be warned, the ocean is fairly rough. Three foot swells most of the day. My son almost got sick. But Erwin was quick to provide a "bag". More on him in a bit. They recommend you take medicine before sailing and I agree.

Can't. Mike and Erwin were very informative and attentive during the trip. Capt. Mike pointed out a lot of the sites on the island, and told us some of the history and stories along the way. He is very knowledgeable and has been on the island for many years. Good outlook and fun captain. Erwin was an excellent host, providing drinks, snacks and additional info.

Once we reached Tintamarre, we moored and snorkeled with provided equipment. The equipment was in pretty good shape, and he had noodles for flotation. Also, his ladder off the aft went very deep. My FIL was recovering from a back surgery, and it made it much easier for him to return to the boat. A regular ladder would not have worked. He mentioned to us that they strive to help any passengers with health or physical limitations. In this case, it worked out well.

The snorkeling was great. We saw a sea turtle, a barracuda, sting rays and plenty of Caribbean fish. The beach on this uninhabited island was incredible. After snorkeling for a bit, we got back on the boat for lunch. Capt Mike grilled some chicken and steak, while Erwin made some salads and sauces. Erwin is a trained chef, and the food was all in all excellent. There were plenty of beers, soft drinks, sodas and liquor as well. And water. The salads included a Greek salad and a quinoa. There was also garlic bread. The sauce was a homemade chimmichuri that was excellent on the steak.

Then more snorkeling and the return trip. All in all, a great day. Capt Mike and Erwin were extremely accommodating, and we really liked the small group setting. Our ages ranged from under 6 to over 70, and the crew worked hard to make sure everyone was having fun and taken care of. During one part of the trip, it started raining, and everyone came to the covered aft seating. Erwin spent a lot of this time making sure everyone was comfortable and making drinks for those that wanted them. Based on the smiles, I assume they were made well. :). Erwin also provided some watermelon, which was very tasty.

Upon return, we unloaded, and were treated to some local ice cream at the dock. This was a highlight day to what was already a great trip.

Reviewed July 9, 2017 via mobile

I visited Sint Maarten with my wife in July and booked our sailing adventure with Red Baron Charters. Going on this trip is what put the icing on the cake for our vacation!

We inquired with Erwin at our resort, who is a warm, genuine soul. We wanted to do a boat ride of some sort and he mentioned that we should set sail with him the next day. At that point he explained what we would be experiencing -- coffee and breakfast, open bar, snorkeling, a meal cooked by himself and a visit to Tintamarre(turtle island)... Just to name a few.

As we entered the vessel, we were greeted by Erwin and captain Mike who had coffee and pastries waiting for us. Erwin made sure we made ourselves at home and captain Mike entertained us with his pirate-like, passionate, enthusiastic knowledge of the island, as we listened to the waves crash against the hull in the background.

My wife has a history of being sea sick, and they made her well-being a priority throughout the entire trip as well as catering to the other guests needs.

There is plenty to do, plenty to see and this was an amazingly exciting trip for all ages if you are looking to learn something and check off an item on your bucket list. You'll just have to experience it for yourself, we had a blast.

1  Thank Matt A
Reviewed July 9, 2017

My wife and I were on St. Maarten for our honeymoon and one of the excursions we planned was this one.

This excursion itself was decent the boat was clean and the water and weather was lovely despite the huge surf it was still a nice experience seeing the island from that side.

When we were deciding what excursions we should do we asked the women running the desk what she recommends and this was her obvious number one because of the food and turtles. This was something that we didn't see first hand, we found the food to be oversold and underwhelming. The meat was overcooked to the point of it being tough to determine if it was pork or chicken and the sides were soggy and watery. As far as the turtles there was a storm earlier in the day and the visibility was just a few feet (this is something that we understand its hard to predict weather).
The reason I bring this up is that it was clear as we were on the boat that the women and the captain were a couple making the sale felt like a bit of a hustle.

The real issue we had was the captain himself he was self obsessed, pompous, and arrogant. The entire trip we were told about his world philosophies and his life. This was something that was pretty unexpected from a day on a boat at a tropical island.

Date of experience: December 2016
Diergaarde, Guest Relations Manager at Red Baron Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

First of all we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to let you know that the decreasing quality of the pork made us decide to change that item on our menu to steak from now on. Too bad you experienced coming with us like 'a bit of a hustle'. We are very well known at the activity desk and we got to know the woman working there a highly respected professional. We also believe she must have chosen to advise you to go with us for very good reasons.
We would have liked to have known about your dislike about both the food (side dishes) and the real issue you had during or right after the trip ou took with us, for the simple reason we might have been able to change things for the better. In a matter of retrospect we can only thank you once again for your sincere feedback and promise you we will do everything within our ability to improve on the points you mention. For what it is worth, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience.
Please let us know if there is anything we could do to make it up to you in the near future.