“Greatest bBunch of People on the Island”
Review of Ballerina Jewelers

Ballerina Jewelers
Ranked #10 of 64 Shopping in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: “Ballerina Jewelers” celebrates their 25th anniversary this year! This 25 year Journey began when young and ambitious, Sam Mirpuri left his native India and arrived in the Free Zone of Tangier in the early fifties. At just 17 he had already decided that his future lay in the Duty Free Sector. After his marriage he moved to Casablanca, a cosmopolitan city strongly influenced by Franco-European culture where he raised his three sons, Peter, James and Mike with the advantage of a multicultural education.Fluent in several languages, they were immersed in the world of business at a very young age and, without knowing it, predestined to follow in their father's footsteps. Realizing in the early 80s that the future was starting to look bleak, James Pioneered to St Thomas in the Caribbean where he started working for his uncles and eventually moved on and established the first Ballerina Jewelers. He was soon teamed by his brothers who were equally talented with good business skills. However they were untrained in the field of jewelry. Over the time and through a serious apprenticeship they learned the jewelry trade. St Thomas proved to be a perfect stepping Stone for these young men. At the same time the island of Sint Maarten–Saint Martin, was economically evolving. Mike and Peter decided to explore the idea of opening a new boutique there. They could see the potential offered by Philipsburg. Front Street at that time was a narrow, bustling lane, lined with lively bars, restaurants and pubs with very few Jewelry Stores than there are today. Recognizing the early opportunity they searched for the ideal site and did find one, but it was too small and needed some structural changes. Undaunted, Mike and Peter set off to toil. It was 1987 and the adventure had begun as they celebrated the opening of the very first Ballerina Jewelers in Sint Maarten. The initial years were quite a challenge. They knew no one, and could rely only on their brotherly support and the newly gained experience in the Jewelry industry. They devoted themselves wholeheartedly to their work. A unique inventory was built with the help of supportive Vendors who believed in the Mirpuris who were Honest and Hard working and constantly seeking something different and exciting by visiting prestigious American and European jewelry houses and training programs around the world.In the early 90’s Ballerina expanded their business and opened additional boutiques, spacious, comfortable and hospitable. With more locations, Ballerina has built a very strong buying power straight from the sources and pass on all those savings directly to the customers. The Mirpuri brothers reflect the essential principles of their father Sam, "The client comes first and we are there to serve him. Our role is to ensure that he is satisfied at any cost". They will always be true to this precept whatever it takes. Indeed, a dedication to quality and to impeccable after sales service is the key to their success. Always striving to satisfy an increasingly demanding clientele, in 2003 they opened a new boutique at Harbour Point Village. Situated right beside the cruise ships, the store caters to the passengers who don't much venture into town the opportunity to buy from Ballerina's exclusive collection. The new millennium has marked a decisive turning point throughout the profession emerging with new tendencies in jewelry as well as in luxury watch making.With six locations characterized by sleek lines and optimal lighting, Ballerina Jewelers ‘showrooms serve as the perfect environment to house prestigious and avant-garde timepieces. Showcasing over forty brands, Ballerina offers watches by Roger Dubuis, Franck Muller, Cvstos, Pierre Kunz, Perrelet, Bell & Ross, Graham, Frederique Constant and many more. Serving as a perfect complement to the exquisite timepieces, Ballerina jewelers also houses exquisite jewelry collections by a host of renowned designers, like Stefan Hafner, Tacori, Simon G, Leo Pizzo, Rodney Rayner, Shambala and much more... Like every achievement has many hands behind it, Mirpuri brothers nurtured this beautiful empire along with the sales team at Ballerina Jewelers which is comprised of forty highly trained watch and jewelry enthusiasts, who maintain their level of expertise through vendor-sponsored trainings, weekly in-store educational sessions and through a host of trade and publications.This team of dedicated employees has grown along the years and today is not just a team of employees but part of the Family…If you are visiting a Ballerina boutique for the first time you will no doubt be surprised by the warm, family atmosphere of the store. One thing that has not changed since the first jewelry store opened a quarter century ago is its relaxed atmosphere. It has the same flavor it’s always had. Now, more than ever, a friendly welcome and attentive service are the first priorities of the Ballerina family. Thanks to this policy of customer satisfaction and service, Ballerina is proud to have built up over 75 percent of repeat customer base. Faithful clients know full well that, the Ballerina team will do all it can to satisfy their wishes. It is a leap of faith to buy a piece of fine jewelry or a luxury watch in a vacation spot, but close to 25 000 people place their confidence in Ballerina and return time after time. It is clear that Ballerina is the most trusted Jewelry store in the Caribbean. Behind the typically Caribbean façade of their store you will find a dedicated soul because as quoted by Mike Mirpuri who once read these words that stuck in his heart “the friendship of those we serve is the foundation of our progress”.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have been going to see Brian Botwani and the gang for 10 straight years, and have never been disappointed. The quality of their merchandise is better than any on the island, and possibly the Caribbean. I will continue to buy from this shop as long as they are in business.

There are newer reviews for Ballerina Jewelers

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have been to all of the Ballerina stores! And, we have purchased in all of their stores! I had no intention of purchasing anything in St Maarten because we had a blast at Ballerina in St Thomas (and did some serious credit card damage)! But, oh the magnificence and such great prices! Next thing I knew, I had a new engagement ring setting to match my new eternity band!! Oh Raj from St Maarten, you know what your customers like! You can't go wrong here! I have copied my review from their St Thomas store below.

We happened upon this jewelry store during a cruise about seven years ago. A fellow passenger had raved about it. We stopped by to browse. We didn't intend to buy anything. The person who helped us could tell we were just browsing, yet continued to treat us like their most important customer ever! The sales associate explained that they did not work on commission so there was no pressure to sell anything! We tried on beautiful jewelry...it was a blast. I showed off the jewelry to the other customers...it was almost a party atmosphere because most of the customers there had been repeat customers...some for the past twenty years! We were offered beverages repeatedly and encouraged to shop for as long as we liked. I fell inlove with an eternity band...all diamond...magnficent! Yet, we walked away without purchasing it. I went store to store...and found that the prices at the other stores were sooo much higher for an inferior product! And all those high pressure sales techniques! Hubby convinced me that I deserved that beautiful diamond ring. When we arrived back to Ballerina, they had the ring put away in the back for me! The designer of the wring came out to meet me! I felt like such a celebrity...for such a small purchase!
The woman next to us had purchased over sixty thousand dollars of jewelry...and I was treated as special as she was! I get so many compliments on my ring....the diamonds are magnificent! Since then, we have been back with the whole family...from a simple seiko watch for our son to a diamond tennis bracelet for me! No purchase too big or too small! We now purchase all our jewelry from Ballerina on line! We call, they ship it, and they guarantee every product. They have done repairs and even exchanged products through the mail! Just be prepared...once you purchase crom Ballerina...you are now a member of the family! From christmas cards to facebook friends, you are family.
PS...We also stopped in St Maarten on this cruise and received the same treatment in their stores there! Spent a little more money there too! All the Ballerina stores are family owned so we met all the owners and cousins etc who were all sales associates. We will be calling during the holidays...got my eye on a new necklace!!! When you go, tell Varsha and James that Evan and Lisa sent you!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have been buying jewelry from Kenny since 2004 and have never been disappointed with any piece I have bought. From the minute I walk into the store, I feel welcomed and Kenny always has something to show me that matches my taste. I highly recommend if you are looking for a quality product and a staff who will work with you to find exactly what you want and who will remember you each time you come into their store, Ballerina is the place to go.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went into Ballerina's looking for some specific designers. Although I did not buy anything on this visit, I found the person I worked with to be very helpful. I believe it was Deepak. He let me look at anything I wanted and try on any number of items. A specific Soho bracelet I want and have looked at in my home state is $200 less at Ballerina. I was also interested in seeing items by Fope. Again, I did not buy anything but Deepak spent a considerable amount of time with me with no huge pressure to "buy something". I appreciate that. I have a return trip to St. Maarten coming up and I plan on visiting this store again to find just the right item and leaving with something the next time around.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Recently, purchased a cushion cut 2.6 ct. diamond engagement ring, larger overall, beautiful and oh, she said yes! My Second marriage: I have thirty years in the business of negotiation and settlement, working with people; I consider myself a good study of people. What a great job the family at Ballerina has done for me and my wife "to be". I spent money and received what I expected; high quality ring (s) , straight answers, confidence in my purchase , and peace of mind. I received what I paid for and that's good enough for this critique. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK