See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2015

I try to save money when I travel solo so hotels are out of the questions. Sint Maarten lacks any of the big-name hostel chains so I picked Vicky's Keys and enjoyed my stay. I rented a car from SXM and drove myself to the hostel, and not having been here before it was pretty hard to find at first but easy to locate thereafter.

The rooms were good for a hostel, with a kitchen and bath in each unit so you're only sharing with 2-3 people. There was a mini-fridge I could keep food in and cupboards for dry food. A convenience store is right around the corner from the hostel, with a larger grocery store another 5-7 minute walk down the road.

I had my own car so I can't vouch for the gypsies/buses for getting around, but the hostel is pretty close to Philipsburg.

The rooftop patio is nice, but avoid it at night! My legs got covered in mosquito bites after a few hours.

I'd definitely stay here again. It was simple, good value, and exactly what I needed for my stay.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank aascottm
Reviewed September 29, 2015 via mobile

I recently spent a total of 8 nights here and wholeheartedly recommend this place. If you're looking for a big fancy resort with all inclusive packages and minimum interaction with the local culture, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a slice of authentic life on this small island, look no further. I was very kindly picked up by Julian who also had the time to give me a tour of the island, providing many valuable insights and interesting facts. Check in was handled by Patricia who took the time to chat with me and explain to me all I needed to know regarding the facilities. They were usually closeby to answer any queries you may have and were responsive to my requests. Dorms, bathrooms and kitchen facilities were kept clean by Patricia who also took care of me one day that I wasn't feeling too well. Wifi was a bit patchy, it worked best in the common area outside, with uneven reception in the dorms. Sucker Garden is a quiet neighbourhood but offers a more authentic local experience than Philipsburg or Maho. If you do decide to head into Philipsburg, do note that it's a 20 minute walk in the hot tropical sun, wear plenty of sun-cream!

Overall I recommend Vicky's Keys for those on a budget and for those looking for a less touristy experience of St Maarten. Those looking to be close to nightlife, touristy sights or those reliant on public transport might want to look elsewhere. I had a great time here and left feeling refreshed and relaxed.

Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank Dob5588
Reviewed June 23, 2015 via mobile

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our time here. We stayed in one of the private rooms that had a great little kitchenette and a very nice bathroom. Everyone we met was more than happy to be helpful and friendly. It was a little hard to find at first, but I appreciate it it's location as something more true to Island form and not touristy at all. I would absolutely recommend this place and would stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank MorganNorthside
Reviewed April 7, 2015 via mobile

I just stayed at Vickys Keys Dutch St Maarten for 2 weeks and it was great. The owner, Cee, and staff were attentive to my needs and the single room was very nice, especially for a hostel. If you want a real Caribbean local feeling with roosters crowing, an occasional chicken and iguana crossing the road, then this is the place. Located just outside Phillipsburg, the room was clean and you can have a nice breakfast every morning and look at the stars from the roof top patio at night. I've been coming to St Maarten 15 years and this safe, family run business, is now my favorite spot to stay when I'm on island. Best deal on the island!

Kevin

Date of stay: April 2015
6  Thank Spawn715
Reviewed March 11, 2015

As an avid sole traveler I have been to a lot of hostels. Being a bit picky I would't return to many but this is definitely one of them. Although it isn't in the very center of Philipsburg nor close to main beaches you can reach every point of interest within 20 minutes making it unbeatable in value for the price. Beds are comfortable and you'll get provided everything you are in need of.
Highly recommendable. Good job Cee!

Date of stay: March 2015