“Don't Waste Your Time”
Review of Antoine by the sea

Antoine by the sea
Ranked #18 of 113 Restaurants in Philipsburg
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This place was awful and I do not recommend going whatsoever! This restaurant was suggested by the concierge where we were staying. She had given us a really great and fun place to eat at the night prior, so we took her advice once again and boy..what a mistake. The restaurant is in Philipsburg and we went on a day that was low-key since there weren't any cruise ships in port. We we the only table in the restaurant and even though it was a quiet day in town I can understand why there were no other tables. My sister's meal didn't come until way after the rest of ours and one of us ordered a turkey sandwhich that literally had ONE slice of turkey one it - what a pathetic sandwich that was! My dad was so disturbed by this that he actually took the sandwich back into the kitchen himself to complain to the chef, who was also co-owner of the place. My dad was treated rudely and the chef/co-owner didn't offer to serve us a more fulfilling sandwich, nor did he seemed concerned one bit that he had unsatisfied costumers. My sister and her boyfriend (the one with the turkey sandwich) actually got up and left to eat and a nearby restaurant. The rest of the food was adequate - at best. This was a very disappointing visit. The only aspect that was nice was the view of the beautiful beach!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

The restaurant was definitely not what I expected. The place looked some what run down. It is right on the board walk and the view is okay. We came in and the waitress was difficult to read. She seemed uninterested in serving us at first and warmed up a bit. There were three in our party and we were the only table at first. I asked how much the lobster weighed and I was told that they don't weigh them. Odd answer. It took nearly an hour for our food to arrive and we had asked what came with the lobster. A small scoop of dry over cooked rice with a pureed orange vegetable(tasted like baby food) and 2 tiny florets of broccoli came on a plate.(Can you spare it???) When I asked where was the potatoes I was told that I had to ask for them. I questioned was there an additional charge and I was told no. Confused??? The potatoes were scalloped and tasty. Just strange that I had to ask for them. I observed the owner or manager speaking to the two other tables but he never stopped by to ask us how our food was. I don't understand the hype for this restaurant. Food was okay nothing to rave about. There are much better choices in St. Maarten. I would never go back here and would not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were a group of 6 looking to watch the sunset while having dinner. We chose Antoine's -- what a mistake. Let me recount the adventure. We made a reservation saying we wanted to watch the sunset. Upon arrival, we were initially seated at one of the tables where that view was impossible. We were the only ones in the restaurant at the time, so we were able to be reseated. Next, a worker came in from the beach carrying a full sized door. While it didn't impact the meal, this was a first for me. The waitress came and took our order. Fortunately, she repeated it back to us, and it contained numerous errors. However, rather than just correcting the order, the waitress argued with us about what she thought we had ordered. We considered leaving at that time - and probably should have - but we stayed. Salads were brought out, and they were fair at best. The main courses were worse. Five of us ordered fish, and the taste seemed more consistent with something that had been frozen. One in our group found the garlic butter so overwhelming that it was not eatable. Another in our group had dramatically undercooked pasta and sent it back. We ended our meal with pistachio ice cream. It was tasteless, and no one came close to finishing their portion. We were never asked if we would like coffee/tea. To get water refills, we had to find our server and request it. The best thing about the meal -- we're still laughing at how bad it was.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We decided to head into Philipsburg for what we assumed would be a fun evening on the Boardwalk given the activity during the day. We were surprised to find the area desolate. Most places were closed and the whole area was a bit dark and creepy. We managed to find Antoine's open way at one end and it looked charming so we gave it a try. Since returning from our meal, and in hindsight reading some reviews, I have discovered that our experience is not unique. The service was awful. There were only two people for the entire restaurant. I believe one was the owner. If he knew the diners he was very chatty and attentive but if you were not a regular you were ignored. We had to ask three times for water. Our ice tea was never refilled. Further the meal took forever. We waited almost 45 minutes for our main course after our appetizers. After our main course we waited another 30 minutes for the pre-ordered dessert. Unfortunately the food wasn't worth the wait. The only entry that was liked was my husband's which was roasted chicken. My son felt the lamb chops were average and not as good as in the states. I had the snapper which was not only bland to taste but also to look at. The fish arrived on some thinly sliced boiled potatoes. The entire dish was beige. There was also no vegetables like the other dishes. The soufflés for dessert were O.K. But not worth the wait. Lastly the meal was very pricey. While slow service and high price tags are not uncommon on this island, all things considered, there are better options.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Well I know this is review for a restaurant but they have beach front as well. I visited St. Martin during a recent cruise with Royal Caribbean. We were looking for a place to take in some sun and enjoy the beach. As I walked along many places were wanting my business. Chico got my attention. Antoine is not right by the cruise port. They are located about 2/3 all the way down the beach but I noticed the further you went, the less expensive it got. Chico was very nice and not pushy. He just wanted my business. He not only made me a great deal for 3 beach chairs, umbrellas, and 6 drinks, he was always checking on us to see if we needed anything and he watched our stuff while we played and shopped a bit. They had very nice comfortable beach lounge chairs with thick pads and we got there early enough to have our pick of the where we wanted to be. Any time I go back to St. Martin I will be looking for Antoine by the sea to use their beach area. They have a full line restaurant and bar so anything you wanted it was there. When you stay on their beach you got to use their facilities for free. So if you read this and you are going to St. Martin, go find Chico.