“Very Niceni”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Antoine by the sea

Antoine by the sea
Ranked #18 of 102 Restaurants in Philipsburg
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Halifax, Canada
“Very Niceni”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had been hearing about this great restaurant for some time, and I now regret not eating there sooner. Lovely food, extensive menu (you have to decide when you order your main course if youre having the dessert souffle, and it is great). And superb service.

• Visited March 2013

Houston, Texas
“Great lobster, wine value and owner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went there in June, 2012, and while I had a great dish that I cannot now recall (I'm pretty sure it was scallops in a white sauce), the two women in our group had Lobster Thermidor. Well, it was so good that we went back two nights later and all four in our group ordered the Thermidor! Additionally, we asked for a wine recommendation and Jean Pierre came over with his iPad to discuss the region of the wine that he was suggesting, giving a good education along with a VERY reasonable wine choice. It was inexpensive and paired well - what else could you want? We will definitely return.

• Visited June 2012
Bath
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a good meal here. Simple, tasty French style food. The Langoustines in Pastis were very tasty and correctly cooked. Too many places seem to over cook the fish! My husbands Red Snapper was also good. Nice view across the beach/bay area. Breeze from the sea. The French host was pleasant and welcoming. Variety of wines. The waiter though was aloof and not welcoming. The waitress was also abrupt to start, but she mellowed later, perhaps after an extra tip. At least we savoured our food in a relaxed atmosphere.The service is charged at the end of the bill, like the majority of restaurants, 15% added. Which is fine if you get good service, I didnt't feel that either of the waiting staff deserved a tip to be honest. Parking in this area is very difficult, there is no parking along the Boardwalk and very limited anywhere nearby.

Visited March 2013
Philipsburg, St. Maarten-St. Martin
“French cuisine at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Love, love, love Antoines... been going there ever since I was a little girl many moons ago. The service is excellent and the food to price is very good. On the beach overlooking the Greatbay harbour it is a great place to unwind after a long day. A must do restaurant!!!!

Visited September 2012
Groomsport, United Kingdom
“Americanised "French" food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Only a few doors up from our apartment and after walking all day and with tired feet, we thought we'd give it a go. We didn't book, as we didn't think we had to, but when we arrived the place was less than a fifth full. Ignored at host stand when we arrived, then asked by aloof and stand offish French manager/owner/whatever if we had a booking. On explaining, he tutted, glanced around an almost empty restaurant then sat us down. Menus given, no winelist. Ordered bottled water as we were thirsty. What arrived was the bargain water you'd find in LIDL, albeit we'd find out later that they charged full whack for it. Menu very Americanised French. Nothing ground breaking, nothing 'new' and to be quite honest, very expensive and very old hat. Fiancée ordered a snapper dish, me a sirloin steak (listed as an American term, no interest in remembering what it was) and I ordered it bleu. Over half an hour later, with still no winelist or anyone showing any interest in our table, our food arrived. My fiancée's snapper dish looked grim. The tail end of a very small fish (identity unknown, but it looked as much like snapper to me as it did my pet cat) on top of what was basically sliced potatoes in a bland cream sauce. That was it. No vegetables, no garnish, nothing. My steak was overlooked to the point it was more like medium well, as opposed to bleu. It was served with three purées (identities unknown, but be could have been yam) and one minute floret of broccoli. Pretty grim. On starting to make my way through my steak, it was full of gristle and I left it. When we went to go, the waitress asked if everything was okay with my steak, I explained it was overlooked and fatty, and she just said I should have brought it to her attention. I then explained again, we were ignored all evening and no one came anywhere near us. She merely walked off. I paid, left no tip and would rather see myself set fire to than ever have to visit there again.

• Visited February 2013