“The Best Kept Secret in the Caribbean!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
Villas on Great Bay
Victoria, Canada
“The Best Kept Secret in the Caribbean!”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

For selfish reasons, we are hesitant to tell the world what we think of the Villas on Great Bay in Saint Maarten. If everyone knows how TERRIFIC it is, everyone will want to stay there! We would like it to stay just as it is.....the best kept secret in the Caribbean! We have stayed there every year for the past four years and we have already booked a seven week stay for next year! We feel so comfortable there that we really do consider it our “home away from home”! At the Villas you will find what you will NEVER find at your average resort – turquoise blue Caribbean water with an uncrowded white sand beach at your doorstep, an uncrowded swimming pool, lounge chairs galore with lots of room between them, peace and quiet, privacy, and.....best of all, a management team (Frank and Sandy) who know you by name, actually CARE about you, and consistently go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable! The Villas have everything you need and, if you are missing something, Frank and Sandy will take care of it. The little nearby grocery store (Suki’s) is a great convenience and the prices are reasonable. It is great to have Philipsburg within walking distance but far enough away that you don't even notice the hustle and bustle when cruise ships are in port. Watching the beautiful cruise ships from your waterfront patio is amazing! Driving on the island is a breeze - don't hesitate to rent a car (we highly recommend Leisure Car Rental) and see the sights, visit the many beautiful beaches, experience the dining and shopping on the French side (St. Martin), and......don't miss a feed-up of ribs at one of the seaside BBQ's in Grand Case! Yummy and cheap!

Room Tip: Talk to Frank!!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulandDanita

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My two sisters and I just returned from a week at the Villas, and I already know I'll be going back at some point. It was my 5th or 6th visit to St. Maarten and the first time I stayed here. We felt completely secure and relaxed there, and the furnishings were very comfortable and beach chic! The onsite managers, Frank and Sandy, made us feel very welcome with a bottle of wine and snacks in the fridge on arrival, assistance with cabs, grocery stores, restaurants, and beach chairs. Although the beach was only steps out the back, the infinity pool area was also amazing. I can't say enough about how great our vacation was - highly, highly recommend this over area hotels if you're looking for luxury on a budget.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Elizabeth J
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Nice place to stay with helpful people looking after you

Room Tip: Room 1 has 2 showers
Chaput Huges
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Right from get go, we where welcome to the Villa with open arms. Frank was just fabulous. Gave us a tour of the villa and the grounds. The other guests at the resort where very friendly. I would recommend the Villa to friends and family. To all share holders of these Villa's you are very fortunate to have a Managing Director like Frank...he alway's made sure that every one was happy little islanders...lol

Hoping to go back soon,

Cheers,

Roger & Fernande Cambray

Room Tip: there is no such thing as a stupid question?
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband and I and 2 other couples vacationed at the villas for two weeks in February 2011. We stayed at villa #2. I booked our vacation 10 months in advance with Josh, the former property manager on site. He took care of our reservation and passed our information along to Doug and Becky, the owners of villa #2. Doug was very helpful and forwarded me information about their villa and things to do on the island.It was nice to be so close and in walking distance to the boardwalk and shops and resturants.
Frank and Sandy, the new property managers of May 2010 greeted us upon our arrival. They walked us to our villa and assured us if we needed anything, to come and find them and they would do their best to accomendate us. We found the villa to be clean and supplied us with almost everything we needed for our stay.Suki's, a small grocery store was found just around the corner to get our daily neccessities. And "The Bakery", was only a few blocks over to provide us with the most delicious rolls and breads to get us thru the day.
It was nice to have the beach right out in front of the property and a pool to cool off when needed. We met alot of new couples and it was nice to visit and learn where they were from and share stories.
Yes, the property is gated and locked, but mainly for our safety and privacy. Sometimes alittle inconvient for us to not be able to just walk out when you want to. They also have rules about non-registered guests being on the property, which was listed on top of our confirmation letter and their web site.But then so do lots of resorts, hotels, and timeshares. It all comes down to respect for owners and guest registered there.
All in All, we had a good time at the villas and my husband and I hope to return someday soon. Nancy & Charlie Keller, Rochester, MN

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank islandgirl090
Kirkland Lake, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Well I just retrurned from St Maarten 3 days ago and I wished I had booked 2 weeks MINIMUM. The location was perfect, not to close to the hustle and bustle of the cruise ship guests and shopping, but was definitley within walking distance, which we did often. I would stay at the villas again without a doubt. Frank was terrific!! We stayed in villa #1 (very private as it's an end unit). Villa #1 could use some updating if you are the type of person that must have high end finishes. When I travel, I think of it as a room to sleep at night, I base my accomodations also on location, beaches, shopping and a pool. Therefore all my expectations were met. Youre in St Maarten, and honestly why you want to be in a villa all day when there is beautiful beaches steps away and amazing shopping? LOVED LOVED LOVED it and would not hesitate to stay there again.
Thanks again Frank you were terrific and hope to see you again!!

4 Thank MelandDan_11
Eyota
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife, I and two other couples stayed in villa 2 for two weeks in February 2011. This was a trip planned 10 months in advance of our arrival. Actually we had tried to get into villa 3 but the owner {Victoria} was going to be using it. Josh put us in contact with Doug who owns villa 2 and we set our reservation for the six adults for the two weeks. It was always going to be six adults. Josh, Victoria, Doug, and presumably Frank and Sandy knew the number. When we arrived we were greeted by Frank and Sandy and brought to the unit. We were presented with two sets of keys and told we would soon have a third set of keys. To be clear to get in or out of this complex you have to go through three sets of door locks and gates. It was six days later that I finally got my set of keys. We had planned to use the grill that was supposed to be with this villa but there was some issue with gas being available, Frank did find some the next day. we were told that we had gotten to good of a deal and we were asked to pay an additional $700.00. Fortunately we had a copy of the contract and the price was in our paperwork. Another couple we knew from Minnesota happened to be on the island and visited us a few times during the week they were on the island, for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. At the end of our stay Frank and Sandy collected $120.00 for the four days our friends visited us. On about Wednesday the 16th, a plastic folding patio chair I sat on exploded under me. I crashed to the ground. I had back surgery a year ago and have a serious condition of my lower back. Luckily I was not injured just shooken up. Frank and Sandy wanted to charge me $35.00 for the chair. They dropped that from the final bill. While the unit was clean, well supplied and recently updated there are issues. The TV's worked on occasion, there aren't any exhaust fans in the upstairs bathrooms, if you wanted a hot shower don't be the last one in line, the water heater is solar powered. I can see that this might be a decent place to visit, my overall impression was not good. With all the lodging options on this island, {I have stayed in timeshares and hotels on this island} I would not go back to the 'villas'. Jim Baier, Eyota Minnesota USA

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jaybeeEyota
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to Villas on Great Bay? Share your experiences!