“Great Service & gorgeous jewelry!”

Ray's Jewelry International
Ranked #4 of 64 Shopping in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: We are family owned & Operated since 1987. "We Refuse To Be Undersold" As third generation Jewelers we specialize in Loose Diamonds, Tanzanite, Emeralds & other Exotic Gems. Apart from a great selection of Fine Jewelry we are also known for our customer service & hospitality. Ask us about our attractive offers like Trade-in's, Upgrade's, Specials & US Service Centers. Looking forward to doing business with you...
Montreal, Canada
“Great Service & gorgeous jewelry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Ray's was a great stop for shoping and the service was impecable! My Salesperson was Jay and he was amazing! He took the time to explain and he made me feel comfortable. It was a really a wonderful experience. I bough myself 2 beautiful rings in St-Maarten. Whenever I wear them I receive compliments back home. I got a great price and my rings are original... nothing like it in Montreal. I totally reconmend them!!

Visited October 2013
RAYS J, Manager at Ray's Jewelry International, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi! Joanne,

We highly appreciate your business, and would like to thank you for taking time out to write a review for us. Hope to see you back soon.

Thanks
Jay

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A reliable, trusted, caring store that also offers great prices...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I are both seniors who, when our two sons were growing up, denied ourselves of many luxuries in life, including travelling and shopping. Now that both of them are established and have their own families, we can now afford to SKI (Spending Kids' Inheritance) anywhere, any time in our newly found passion.

Because we love the Caribbean weather, beaches and water (reminding us of our native country very far from Canada), we have travelled to almost all countries in this region, including Mexico and Cuba, doing some jewelry shopping. We travel smart, however. We wait for the last minute all-inclusive vacation package from tour operators, or special promo offers from cruise lines for repeat or loyal guests cruising in the Caribbean. Modesty aside, we have also travelled all around the world using this travel smart technique.

Where our shopping money would allow us, we, especially my wife, also do some jewelry shopping in our destinations. However, we shop smart too. The Caribbean is one best place to do this. For one thing, travelling to the Caribbean is affordable these days. In the Caribbean, purchasing jewelry is both tax free (13% in Canada) and duty free. And if you're lucky finding the right store, they can give you generous discounts of the catalogue price.

Our first visit of this store was in June 2000, while staying in all-inclusive vacation resort in Philipsburg. That's the first time we met Stephen, the son of the store's owner. I guess it's "love at first sight" between Stephen and us. We told Stephen and he believed us that we're just poor pensioners who are always seeking value for our hard earned savings. At that time just testing the water, we bought not very expensive items for ourselves and our two sons. One of the items my wife bought was a colored stone bracelet set with diamonds, emeralds, ruby and sapphires. The catalogue price was $1,065 US. After giving us a number of discounts, Stephen charged us the final price of $285 US. When we had this bracelet appraised in Toronto (with appraisal certificate from a reputable store), the bracelet had an appraisal value of $1,850 Canadian!

Every Christmas after that first visit in 2000, my wife and I receive a beautiful Christmas card each and note of appreciation from this store. In appreciation of the warm reception and great prices Stephen gave us in 2000, we have been referring our close friends passing Philipsburg to this store. Stephen and his staff also extend the same warm service and great prices to our friends, including one of our health providers and his family from Toronto, who bought lots of jewelry items as Christmas gifts to their family, relatives and friends that December.

The second time we met Stephen personally was in August 2007 while cruising the Caribbean. Modesty aside, we spent more at this store than it cost us for our cruise and flights. One of my wife's favorite purchases made at this visit and my 38th wedding anniversary gift to her was a while gold ring set with Princess cut diamonds of all sorts, which we had appraised in Toronto was worth almost five times what Stephen charged us. Stephen was laughing when I told my wife the jewelry we bought was my anniversary gift to her for the next five years!

Amongst the reasons we made another cruise to Eastern Caribbean, Nov 10-17, 2013, were to renew acquaintance with Stephen, have the white gold ring set with diamonds purchased in 2000 resized, and buy new jewelry where our shopping budget would permit, serving as my anniversary gift to my wife this year and at least for the next five years!

Before visiting Philipsburg on Nov 14, I informed Stephen of our long awaited visit. Stephen had my wife's above ring resized gratis. Previously when my wife canvassed a reputable jewelry store in Toronto to have it resized, she was quoted a fee of $1,000 Canadian, and not that interested resizing it for fear they might damage the diamond setting in the process, which Stephen could hardly believe. On this visit, without putting any sale pressure on us, Stephen showed us the different variety and class of gems we're looking for. Once again, Stephen gave us great prices on my wife's Diamond Tennise Bracelet set in solid 14kt white gold mounting, diamond earring set in sold white gold setting, diamond ring set in 14kt solid two tone mounting (yellow and white gold), and believe it or not, 14kt white gold wedding bands for my wife and me, 44 years after our wedding!

While we don't know much about gemology and not as wealthy as many returning customers of this store, in our visit of August 2007 and Nov 14, 2013, we didn't attempt to bargain with the bottom prices Stephen charged us, faithfully believing we won't be able to buy them with same guaranteed quality and discounted prices elsewhere. As well, we feel very comfortable and take pride wearing every item we purchased from Ray's, knowing we acquired them from an expert, honest and considerate gemologist in Stephen. Not only we like the unique design but every time we would have any item appraised in Toronto, they are always worth 3 to 5 times more than what Stephen charged us, also when factoring in the tax free and duty free buying in the Caribbean.

Apart from good quality and great prices of the jewelry we bought this time, what touched us most was the special treatment we received personally from Stephen. We were the first customers to drop by this store last Nov 14. Shortly thereafter, many of Ray's old customers, not only from our ship but also from other ships docked in Philipsburg that day, started coming in and Stephen was calling them in first name basis and exchanging j9okes with them. However, from 09:30AM to almost 1:30 PM we were at the store, Stephen devoted all his time attending to our value-seeking needs, making some of his rich, returning customers envied us. While this made us uncomfortable at times, Stephen's kind gesture made us feel we're extra special to him, which meant a lot to us.

I trust the readers find the above review informative and helpful.

Romeo R. Fernandez

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great customer care”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had purchased a 5kt diamond tennis bracelet a number of years back. I lost it and wanted to replace it. Jay sent me 2 very similar bracelets but the quality was not what I had expected. He took them back and gave me a store credit. It took us a while to get back to St. Maarten but when I did I was treated with sincere respect and Jay made good on his promise of finding me something that I love. I did buy another bracelet which was appraised at much more than I paid. The jeweler I took it to said that it was quality craftsmanship and good quality stones. I would recommend the store to anyone that visits the beautiful island of St. Maarten
Rene

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rene S
London
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Trusted store - lots of variety, great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

If we are going to buy anything in St. Maarten, this is the store. (they have two - each one worth the visit) We love Neil, he is amazing!!! The variety of omega back earrings they carry (hard to find at home) and the prices are great. We have met many people in their store over the years that have made us feel very comfortable with their own personal recommendations and stories of shopping here over the years.
We have never been pressured and have always felt good about purchasing. People do get carried away when on the Islands, everything you want or didn't know you wanted will be here, so it is a good idea to do a little research and then go to a reputable store. Have fun shopping, say hi to Neil.

Visited December 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“EXCELLENT JEWELRY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Outstanding customer service and out of this world jewelry! Very reasonable on their prices. So glad I went to Ray's. It's a MUST if you travel to Front Street.

Visited August 2013