Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Not bad, but not worth what we paid”

Holland House Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We stayed at Holland House for three nights for a quick getaway.

The room was a nice size and the bed and pillows were SO comfy. I could also tell they had just washed the duvet/top blanket as it smelled fresh and clean. We had a street view (we live on an island so beach view doesn't really matter to us) and didn't find it to be noisy at all. In fact, it seemed as if a lot more activity took place each night along the boardwalk on the beach side. Housekeeping was on time and efficient each day.

The room seemed nice and clean to start, but underneath, not so much. My husband was a bit worried about using the iron on his shirts as it looked as if it hadn't ever been cleaned. You could also tell that while the rooms had recently been done, they only really did a "band aid" remodel. Our fixtures were quite dated and corroded by the salty island air, and our bathtub/shower was backwards! I never realized how awkward and uncomfortable that could be. I had to lean back quite far to reach the water which really bothered my back. We also didn't have a stopper for the bathtub.

They had a really nice set up with a coffee maker, kettle, etc. But nowhere decent to plug them in! We had to unplug either a lamp or the clock radio on the bedside table each morning to make coffee.

The service was fair. I manage a hotel myself and can be a harsh judge, but they did absolutely nothing to stand out in my books. For one, I always book direct with small hotels, knowing the cheeky inner workings of reservations and booking engines, but they blatantly did not care, and along with my booking I tried to ask a few questions prior to my arrival that went totally unacknowledged. I should have taken this as a sign, as other hotel agents in the area I contacted were beyond willing to accommodate and give me a nicer deal. Sadly their locations were just a little too far from where I needed to be!

We also had some problems with our safe, and instead of sending someone up right away they stuck a note in our door which we did not notice. We were waiting and waiting for someone to help as we had somewhere to be, so I called the desk again only to be met with annoyance that we didn't notice the note. It would have taken two seconds to knock with the note and further instructions and make sure we got it working ok.

The location was probably the best part. It was a great base to explore the island and shop and taxis were relatively affordable and always available. They also had a daily breakfast included that was substantial and tasty. I felt safe and there was enough around to keep us entertained without it being a massive party like in Maho or Simpson Bay (quick taxi if you want to go!).

All in all, I feel we paid entirely too much (over $200) for our mediocre experience. I have paid less elsewhere in the islands and received better service and amenities. They either need to kick it up a notch or slightly lower their rates.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_Quincers

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Holland House was a nice pitstop for us after we got stranded in St. Maarten unexpectedly for the night. It cost about $20 to get there by taxi from the airport. There was a nice breakfast menu included and the beds were REALLY comfortable, though it was a little noisy on the street side of the building in the morning. The hotel is right on the beach with included loungers & umbrellas, which was great. There were no cruise ships in town that day, which made it very relaxing but I'm guessing it gets nuts when they are in port.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We were fortunate enough to spend two nights at Holland House Hotel in January. The hotel staff was cheerful, helpful and very accommodating. The rooms were updated, nicely appointed, and well maintained. We had a beachfront room so our view was fantastic. Another bonus was the fact that beach chairs/umbrella was included! We normally stay in smaller hotels but were very pleased with Holland House [54 rooms] and are planning to return.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed at Holland House on our way back from another island. For a short stay it is very good. The rooms are on the small simple side but they are well equipped and the beds are comfortable. The street side rooms can be a bit noisy at night. The bar and the Ocean Lounge are GREAT! If you want to get your shopping fix in Phillipsburg or you just want a short stay in a good location, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days before travelling on to Statia and Saba. We booked and pre-paid for our room using Orbitz. Prior to arriving at the hotel I sent Holland House's reservations an e-mail to confirm our room a "deluxe beachfront". When we arrived the frontdesk tried to give us a standard room with a street view, when I protested the change in room. She said that she wasn't sure why I was complaining because the room that she was giving us cost less than the deluxe beachfront. When I repeated that we had prepaid for a deluxe beachfront - she said that we had not confirmed it with Holland House. When I showed her the confirmation - she left to discuss the matter - no less than 3 times with someone in a back office (behind closed doors). When she finally returned she didn't say anything other than to give us our room keys. It turned out that they did end up giving us the deluxe beachfront after all. The room was exactly what we had expected and the hotel was lovely expect for the initial first impression.

We ate breakfast at the hotel and the staff was friendly and welcoming. I think that the hotel management needs to better train their frontdesk employees to greet customers and not act like we are imposing on them.

I would recommend this hotel but make sure that you have a written reservation confirmation and a thickskin for dealing with the frontdesk staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shumbaz
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We were so excited when a modern restaurant with a wonderful ambiance on the beach came to Phillipsburg as this is close to where we stay on the island. We always love the food but order a bottle of wine as soon as you sit down and bring a deck of cards as the service is at a snails pace. This year was way faster than last year when we attributed the slowness to them working the kinks out of a new establishment. We were seated next to a party of 8 who already had their drinks when we arrived. We ate 2 courses and were out of there before they got their entree. Great meal but be prepared for a possible wait for it.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank FashionFriend
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Food and outdoor view is so good we eat here every year (we come to St Martin 2 - 3 weeks per year). Never have stayed at Holland House but eat at the Ocean Lounge which for some reason does not have its own site or rating. I love it; my husband grinds his teeth and goes there anyway. The food and presentation are outstanding. Every night they have a $39.00 3 course dinner offer. The Sea Bass is outstanding. The only issue - the service is worse than a pizza kitchen and worse, they are very arrogant as well !! If I were the chef, I would really be angry as the chef obviously is outstanding, and the servers should be working at McDonalds. Go for the food and outdoor fresh salt air with view of great bay. Just expect really bad service (this has happened very time we go, going on now 4 times .....). Very LAZY people as one night it was late, we were the only people left, and no one had bothered to clear any of the tables in the ENTIRE resturaunt (somewhat gross)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myworldexperiences
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Holland House Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!