“Best excursion in the Caribbean”

America's Cup Yacht Racing
St. Maarten 12 Metre Challenge
Ranked #6 of 56 Tours in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can participate in a mini-America's Cup boat race in actual boats from the 1987 competition, including Dennis Conner's famous Stars & Stripes.
Chadds Ford, PA
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Best excursion in the Caribbean”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went on the sailing excursion for the second time.- My husband loves this trip. We are taken to the boats from the cruise ship , divided into teams- there were plenty of Canadiens to makeup their own crew, and then put aboard and trained for the race. There were only 10 per boat and we each had 'critical" jobs for the race. The crew is very skilled and guided us along. Our captain, Dan, has only been sailing for 4 months and he was skilled and confident. We lost to the Canadian boat - their captain had been at it for 22 years- but we had a blast. If you wear the tee shirt from your previous race- you get a new shirt FREE. Was my husband ever in heaven!

1 Thank redbubbie

minnesota
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Too many people on each ship”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I had high hope for this excursion, as we had read so many good reviews. There were 40 of us, so I expected to have all three boats manned. However, they only used two and crammed 20 of us on each boat. There were not enough positions for the number of people on board, so the extras were crammed in a well or curled up into a ball against the mast to keep out of the way. Several of the people were experiencing this excursion for the second time and they were very disappointed. I could see where it would have been fun with fewer people. One return sailor said they had 12 on each boat the first time and the other said only 6 the time they had done it earlier. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find out ahead of time how many people will be on each boat, so I advise you to save your money. If you want to go sailing, charter a catamaran, then you can sail all day instead of a few minutes.

Santa Clara, California
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience!!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We signed up for this excursion through the Ruby Princess, we have a fantastic time, I have never sailed before but my husband had did this excursion years ago and said it was a must! It was a lot of fun and you did acutally have to do a little work, but it was definitely an experience of a life time! I would highly recommend this adventure!

Salt Lake City, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“An awesome experience for sailors and non-sailors alike.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I have had limited sailing experience in the past and thought this might be a fun shore excursion. Wow, did we ever underestimate the experience. I believe that anyone interested at any level would have a good time. What made the experience one of the most unsurpassed experiences we’ve ever had was the race itself. After your crews are paired off, you’re assigned your yacht with the flip of a coin. We were lucky to have the honor of sailing on the Stars & Stripes 87. It was a race from the start to the finish with all the crew (us) reacting to the skippers orders. Bottom line, we won and it was photo finish. This is activity I would do again!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank BlueWaterBeach56
Tavares, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Such Fun!!!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

On a recent cruise with a stop in St Maarten, there were two things I wanted to do but only time to do one thing. I picked the America's Cup Yacht Racing. I was thrilled to see the actual yatch let alone the possibility of sailing on one. I wound up on the Canadian vessel North Star as captain and as a winch wench. As a USN veteran, I would have prefered the Stars and Stripes but no matter. Bottom line is that we won and in the process of winning, I experienced a beautiful day of sunshine and sail on gorgeously blue waters and a clear horizon with an amicable and professional crew. Did I mention that we WON? Absolutely top notch! Not terribly expensive but a total thrill and unforgetable fun! Probably not the thing for small children but teens should love it. This tour fills fast! Book it as soon as you can.

Visited November 2012