“A few tips....”

Sea Trek St. Maarten
Ranked #4 of 56 Tours in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea Trek St. Maarten is a 2 ½ hour tour excursion that runs several times daily. The tour starts with a 5 minute walk from the gangway to the water taxi pier and a 10 minute boat ride out to our staging area. Once on board the Sea Trek dock your guide will give a safety briefing and will answer any questions that you may have. The underwater trek itself takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete; based on the number of guests participating in that particular tour, 2 separate tours may be made. Each tour will have no more than 10 guests and will have a minimum of 3 Sea Trek staff members with the tour at all times as a safety precaution. If there are 2 groups participating in the tour, while one group is underwater the other guests are offered the opportunity to go for a snorkel while they wait. Once both groups have completed the Sea Trek tour there will be an opportunity to buy photos taken of you on the trek before boarding the boat and getting shuttled back to the cruise ship pier or the main land.Helmet diving feeds continuous air through low pressure lines on the surface down to the Sea Trekker under water. The air pressure inside the helmet keeps the water level right around shoulder height and the majority of the time you won’t even get your hair wet. You climb down a ladder from the Sea Trek dock that reaches 20 feet down to the ocean floor. The track, a loop approximately 300 feet long, takes you past both natural and artificial reefs such as a helicopter, a plane, a submarine, King Neptune and 2 canons salvaged from Fort Amsterdam. You’ll be also invited to interact with some of the local sea creatures along the way. Once back to the beginning of the track loop you climb the ladder back onto the dock while personally lead both up and down the ladder by a guide or safety diver.Min 8 yrs. and able to walk and climb a ladder. You have to be in good physical condition and sign a waiver. This tour is not recommended for guests with physical disabilities, a pacemaker, severe asthma, claustrophobia or for women over 3 months pregnant. Max depth is 20 feet. There are tee shirts, sodas and bottled water available for purchase after the tour – cash only please. No rest room available at the platform. No secured lockers available.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband, two sons (12 and 8) and I went on the Sea Trek adventure. My husband and oldest thought it was great, but I couldn't get my ears to equalize and my youngest was too scared. Just a warning that there are NO refunds if you don't dive. Not even a partial. It's understandable but still hard to completely waste $180. So, if you have any ear issues or child that is even slightly afraid of going deep in the water, I wouldn't recommend. Also, the $35 USB of pics is of EVERYONE. So you end up paying for only about 5 photos. It was nice to capture dive, but it's not disclosed that you get everyone's pics.

3  Thank NCMom40

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I planed on doing the helmet dive on a previous cruise but bad weather did not allow it. We made sure to do it this time around and we are both glad we did. The entire experience was top notch from the first person that greated us on the pier to the shuttle boat captain to the diving staff. One of the highlights of our vacation.

1  Thank yves b
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I enjoy snorkling but I am not a scube diver. The idea of being under ater for an extended period of tme intrigued me. We and our riends signed up for Sea Trek at the activities desk at the Oyster Bay Beach resort. We drove to Bobby's Marina in Phillipsburg and after a short explaination of the trip got on the boat to go to the dive site. This is perhaps the most safety intense activity I have ever done. You wear a dive helmet attached to an air hose. You climb down a ladder attached to the mooring spot and equqlize the pressure in your ears-very important. you end uo about 30' under crystal clear water surrounded by fish. You wait on the bottom for your group and the diver/guides lead you along a path uner water. Your head never gets wet and there are atleast three rescue divers to assist you at all times when you are in the water. zthere were all age groups on the trip. Two of the members of my group were ounable yo do the dive and were given a very prompt partial refund. Do this when you get to Staint Marrten, great for older kids and teeenagers as ell as adults. Joel Kipphut

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My wife and I scheduled this excursion through norwegian cruiselines and it was worth it. We had never dived before and the staff were very helpful and knowledgable. The whole staff made everyone feel at ease and were very friendly. After our dive which lasted about 30min, which is a controlled walk through with PVC handrails around a sunken boat, helicopter and airplane we had time for snorkeling the area and swimming. Awesome time.

1  Thank Pat V
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The crew was amazing and thoroughly explained everything so that we all felt safe. As the literature for the shore excursion on our cruise stated, if you can walk and breath you can do this. You start out by entering the water and standing on a ladder attached to the floating platform with your head and shoulders out of the water. They place the Sea Trek helmet over your head and it rests on your shoulders. You begin descending the ladder with a diver at your side. Every few steps down the ladder you stop and equalize the pressure in your ears. You reach the bottom of the ladder and the diver helps you off the ladder and on to the sea floor. Once your entire group makes it to the bottom you start a walking trek around a track laid out on the sea floor complete with PVC hand railing. There are multiple sunken objects and an abundance of sea life. They have you stop several times to take pictures of you, which they offer for sale. They are great quality pictures, and I felt were well worth the price they charged. You make it to the end of the track and they help each person in the group back onto the ladder, and you all ascend back to the floating platform. In all we were underwater about 25 minutes, and it was an absolutely amazing experience. They provide snorkel gear that you can use while the other group in your party completes the helmet dive. We will definitely do this again when we return, and I would highly recommend this excursion. If you have family members that are not that fond of the water, you may look into the Tiki Hut excursion for them. The same boat drops people off at both the Sea Trek and Tiki Hut excursions, and the Tiki Hut is directly across from the Sea Trek platform. I am not sure how the departure time of the two excursions line up, so I suppose it may be possible that the people on the Tiki Hut could stay longer than those on the Sea Trek. Again, this was a wonderful excursion, the crew was knowledgeable and helpful, and it was absolutely amazing.

1  Thank Ryan R