“We LOVED the Sea Trek!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Trek St. Maarten

Sea Trek St. Maarten
Ranked #4 of 54 Tours in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea Trek St. Maarten is a 2 ½ hour tour excursion that runs several times daily. The tour starts with a 5 minute walk from the gangway to the water taxi pier and a 10 minute boat ride out to our staging area. Once on board the Sea Trek dock your guide will give a safety briefing and will answer any questions that you may have. The underwater trek itself takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete; based on the number of guests participating in that particular tour, 2 separate tours may be made. Each tour will have no more than 10 guests and will have a minimum of 3 Sea Trek staff members with the tour at all times as a safety precaution. If there are 2 groups participating in the tour, while one group is underwater the other guests are offered the opportunity to go for a snorkel while they wait. Once both groups have completed the Sea Trek tour there will be an opportunity to buy photos taken of you on the trek before boarding the boat and getting shuttled back to the cruise ship pier or the main land.Helmet diving feeds continuous air through low pressure lines on the surface down to the Sea Trekker under water. The air pressure inside the helmet keeps the water level right around shoulder height and the majority of the time you won’t even get your hair wet. You climb down a ladder from the Sea Trek dock that reaches 20 feet down to the ocean floor. The track, a loop approximately 300 feet long, takes you past both natural and artificial reefs such as a helicopter, a plane, a submarine, King Neptune and 2 canons salvaged from Fort Amsterdam. You’ll be also invited to interact with some of the local sea creatures along the way. Once back to the beginning of the track loop you climb the ladder back onto the dock while personally lead both up and down the ladder by a guide or safety diver.Min 8 yrs. and able to walk and climb a ladder. You have to be in good physical condition and sign a waiver. This tour is not recommended for guests with physical disabilities, a pacemaker, severe asthma, claustrophobia or for women over 3 months pregnant. Max depth is 20 feet. There are tee shirts, sodas and bottled water available for purchase after the tour – cash only please. No rest room available at the platform. No secured lockers available.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“We LOVED the Sea Trek!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friends and I just got home from our cruise and I just had to say that we absolutely LOVED the Sea Trek! There were 5 of us in our group (3 adults and 2 teens). After a short safety briefing, we started out by snorkeling while the other group did their trek. There were lots of fish in the area, and they fed them while we were in the water to attract the groups. When it was our turn, they re-briefed us on the safety and procedures, and then took us down 2 at a time to the bottom. Once there, we received a "guided" tour through the reef and sunken artifacts, complete with a photographer that made sure he knew who was in groups together and took individual and group pictures for us. I also brought an underwater digital camera, and my own pictures came out great!

The helmets are 75 lbs, but they don't put them on you until you are partway down the ladder with just your head above water, so it doesn't ever feel that heavy. My daughter is 13 and only weighs about 100 lbs, so I was anxious about her ability to do this, but she had no problems at all.

The staff are all helpful, friendly, and clearly enjoy their jobs. When we finished we bought the flash drive of pictures for about $35 (I think), and we are very happy with the combination of pictures from my personal camera as well as those the divers took of us as a group. Well worth it and would do this one again for sure!

3 Thank vtpiscatella

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Adventure for the Whole Family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family (kids ages 11 & 13) was trying to choose the excursions that we were going to take on our cruise last week. My son suggested the Sea Trek. We thought it would be a fun time but nothing had prepared us for such an amazing adventure. I was a little nervous (slight claustrophobia) but it proved to be a once in a lifetime event with the help of the amazing staff. Would highly recommend this excursion. Totally worth the $$!

1 Thank Kathy B
South Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“GREAT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just got back from our cruise (yesterday) and had to write this review straight away. I was worried about this one. The 20 foot down walking around on the bottom of the ocean with 75lbs on my shoulders...but it was not stressful at all! The folks running the Sea Trek made you feel very safe. They provide very clear direction and instruction. They stay right with you and you are safe and sound. I would do this one again! Fantastic!

1 Thank AureliaSC
Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have never even heard of helmet-diving until we decided to visit St. Maarten. Since it was so popular, we decided to try it. I always try to be adventurous and try new things...this experience really pushed the limits.

As they put the helmet on you and you descend into the water, I had this immediate fear of the water flooding the helmet and drowning. However, the guides were so amazing. Very patient with everyone. As that fear passed, I started feeling the pressure. Sort of like being on an airplane when your ears pop. It was intense, especially as you descended further under the water.

All and all, it was a great experience. And I recommend this to any person looking for an adventure. We bought the pictures, which were $35 for a flash drive. We thought it was a good investment, since I doubt I will ever do this again.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank LesleyD32
Belleville, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Shouldn't miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just got back from my cruise and did this on the last day. it was awesome, was worried about the depth and thought I would panic but no the people are so great, let you ease yourself into the water and down the ladder explained everything so well in fact explained it two or three different times. Felt very comfortable. and it was beautiful. would have like it to been longer but still in all great.

1 Thank hkh252