“Stranded”

Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures provides day sails with snorkeling and romantic sunset cruises aboard our tall ship the Lord Sheffield. Enjoy our abundent grog and world famous BBQ ribs and chicken while sailing on the beautiful Caribbean sea.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Started out well until I saw this boat then I knew there was gonna be trouble. But I thought maybe it will be better than it looks. Things started out ok, we got to the site for snorkeling but then the engine would not start. The crew did their best to make us comfortable, we snorkel somemore and they kind of fed us. THe BBQ consists of chicken wiongs and small ribs.

Finally got water taxied back to the port.

My advice. Do something else.

1  Thank Capp6598
lordsheffield, Owner at Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Capp6598,

We are sorry that we had difficulties on this cruise. The starter motor for our diesel failed. My crew worked under great stress (with me on the telephone) working through every possibility to get the engine going. Unfortunately it was a problem that could not be solved without removing the starter from the engine and this requires a certain amount of time. We were able to resolve the issue later that day but nevertheless my crew worked late into the night to make sure we were ready for the next days customers.

The Lord Sheffield has proven to be an exceptionally reliable ship over 10 years of service in the grueling Caribbean charter trade and we have conducted literally 10's of thousands of cruises and carried over 60 000 people without incident.

That being said she is a traditionally rigged ship, built out of steel, and wood and traditional materials. She will never show like a modern fiberglass yacht but that is kind of the point. We are an alternative to the cookie-cutter glass catamarans that are in every port. All this being said, I am afraid that starters fail on modern or traditional boats with much the same frequency.

As far as food and drink ... we offer pretty much all you can eat ribs and chicken, French bread and cheese, fruit and cookies and of course the most extensive open bar of any day charter boat in the Caribbean. Pretty much whatever you want we've got it.

I apologize that the tour did not go as expected but I you should want to "brave" a sail with us in the future we will be happy to accommodate you (and anyone else who was on this cruise) at no cost to you.

Rob

Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you are arriving in St Maarten aboard a cruise ship, the convenient location of the tall ship, Lord Sheffield, can not be beat. Only an easy five minute walk from the cruise ships docking area, there is no need for a taxi to get to the tour's starting point. Don't be uneasy about the Lord Sheffield's "weathered" appearance. It's facilities are quite good and surprisingly comfortable. The ship's two man crew did everything they could to make us feel comfortable and welcome, starting with a delicious barbecue lunch of chicken and ribs that they cooked on a grill at the rear of the ship and continuing with an unlimited variety of complimentary cocktails. The snorkeling location was excellent and the cruise around St. Maarten a true sailing adventure (nothing like riding the waves on a ship under sail!). In terms of convenience, activities and food/drink, this has to be the top cruise excursion in St. Maarten.

1  Thank SENTENCED2CBP
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This excursion was a highlight moment for our cruise. The only unfortunate part about it was that it was our first stop of five so it set the bar extremely high for the remainder of our trip.
The ship was located just a 5 minute walk from where our cruise docked and was extremely easy to spot: just look for the pirate ship! We were greeted by our two "captains" (whose names I can't remember but they were the BEST!). Once getting on, we began to pull away and within a short 5 - 10 minute boat ride, we were at our first stop for an hours worth of snorkeling. The snorkeling spot was one of the best I've been to, for the simple fact that it had some really cool structures to look at (a treasure chest, a sunken boat, a sunken helicopter). We were also allowed to jump off the front of the ship which was really fun.
Up on the ship, our crew of two served complimentary drinks (rum punch, margaritas, or really anything else you could think of). After an hour at this spot of snorkeling, swimming and drinking, we continued on for a sail along the coast of St. Maarten. At this point, lunch was being served - an endless supply of barbecued chicken and ribs which were AMAZING!! They have a grill on the back of the ship so it's not like you're getting a pre-cooked meal. It really was delicious and there was enough to eat until we were stuffed.
The sail along the coast was really a lot of fun. If you wanted to relax, you could sit on the deck and enjoy the ride. For those that are seeking a thrill, we were allowed to stand on the front of the ship holding on for a crazy ride. The front of the ship would rise and fall as we went over the waves, it was so much fun.
At the end of the ride, you arrive back into port. Simply put, this was not only the highlight of our cruise, but one of the best excursions I have done (and this was my 5th cruise). If I ever find myself in St. Maarten again, there is no question that I will be booking this again. If you're thinking about booking this excursion, STOP! Just do it, I promise you won't regret it.

3  Thank Eric M
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Lord Sheffield doesn't look like much in the dock. We got there from our Royal Caribbean cruise ship a little before 9 in the morning, and our family of 4 waited at a table at the dock for the other parties (two other families of 4) to get there. My wife expressed concerns about being ale to get on board and the seaworthiness of the ship. All this was forgotten once we hit the open water. The snorkeling portion of the trip was at Little Bay, where a bunch of items (boats, cannons, statues, a helicopter) were dropped underwater, Our guide Annaliese also spread breadcrumbs to draw fish near the surface. The barbecue was excellent and the sailing wonderful. The motorized ride back to dock was a little bumpy for my taste, but there's not much that could be done about that. Overall it was a fantastic excursion.