“Best Excursion of our Cruise”

Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventures provides day sails with snorkeling and romantic sunset cruises aboard our tall ship the Lord Sheffield. Enjoy our abundent grog and world famous BBQ ribs and chicken while sailing on the beautiful Caribbean sea.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This excursion was a highlight moment for our cruise. The only unfortunate part about it was that it was our first stop of five so it set the bar extremely high for the remainder of our trip.
The ship was located just a 5 minute walk from where our cruise docked and was extremely easy to spot: just look for the pirate ship! We were greeted by our two "captains" (whose names I can't remember but they were the BEST!). Once getting on, we began to pull away and within a short 5 - 10 minute boat ride, we were at our first stop for an hours worth of snorkeling. The snorkeling spot was one of the best I've been to, for the simple fact that it had some really cool structures to look at (a treasure chest, a sunken boat, a sunken helicopter). We were also allowed to jump off the front of the ship which was really fun.
Up on the ship, our crew of two served complimentary drinks (rum punch, margaritas, or really anything else you could think of). After an hour at this spot of snorkeling, swimming and drinking, we continued on for a sail along the coast of St. Maarten. At this point, lunch was being served - an endless supply of barbecued chicken and ribs which were AMAZING!! They have a grill on the back of the ship so it's not like you're getting a pre-cooked meal. It really was delicious and there was enough to eat until we were stuffed.
The sail along the coast was really a lot of fun. If you wanted to relax, you could sit on the deck and enjoy the ride. For those that are seeking a thrill, we were allowed to stand on the front of the ship holding on for a crazy ride. The front of the ship would rise and fall as we went over the waves, it was so much fun.
At the end of the ride, you arrive back into port. Simply put, this was not only the highlight of our cruise, but one of the best excursions I have done (and this was my 5th cruise). If I ever find myself in St. Maarten again, there is no question that I will be booking this again. If you're thinking about booking this excursion, STOP! Just do it, I promise you won't regret it.

3  Thank Eric M

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Lord Sheffield doesn't look like much in the dock. We got there from our Royal Caribbean cruise ship a little before 9 in the morning, and our family of 4 waited at a table at the dock for the other parties (two other families of 4) to get there. My wife expressed concerns about being ale to get on board and the seaworthiness of the ship. All this was forgotten once we hit the open water. The snorkeling portion of the trip was at Little Bay, where a bunch of items (boats, cannons, statues, a helicopter) were dropped underwater, Our guide Annaliese also spread breadcrumbs to draw fish near the surface. The barbecue was excellent and the sailing wonderful. The motorized ride back to dock was a little bumpy for my taste, but there's not much that could be done about that. Overall it was a fantastic excursion.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our first time on this boat, and it is definitely a repeat! We had a great time, the staff was very friendly, fun, helpful and wanted to guarantee you enjoyed yourself! Food was fantastic (heavy appetizers so we didn't need dinner!), anything you wanted to drink including our friend's favorite Irish Whiskey, a great sail to the west end of the island from Phillipsburg. We highly recommend this adventure to anyone!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband, parents, and teenage sister recently took a lunch cruise aboard the Lord Sheffield, which was only a 10 minute walk from our cruise ship. There were supposed to be three people joining us from a hotel, but they party never showed up, so it was just our family of 5 on the ship, along with two crew members. It was awesome to have the ship to ourselves. Also, the bar was open from the second we got on board.

First, we went sailing along until we reached our first snorkel stop. The waters were extremely rough, so the snorkeling was not that great, but it was neat to see a shipwreck and a sunken helicopter. Next we sailed to and docked off Mullet Bay, just past the beach where the planes land (while sailing we were offered french bread with brie). We were the hit of the beach. We had people swimming out to the ship to take a look at it and asking us how to book a ride on it. The waves at the beach were huge, but this added to the fun of the swimming. We had a great time swimming around, sitting on the beach, and jumping off of the front of the ship while our lunch was being grilled on board. When lunch was ready, we got back onto the ship. We were served barbeque ribs and chicken. While the food was very good, there was not very much of it and we never were served dessert as was listed when we booked the excursion.

After lunch, we sailed back to the dock. We were encouraged to stand up at the front of the ship, "Titanic Style," which was a blast, as we slammed over 9 and 10 foot waves. On the downside, I am very prone to seasickness and despite wearing a patch to help with nausea, I lost my lunch and felt miserable for the rest of the trip back; the crew was very kind and assured me that they had seen much worse. Also, the boat was so rocky and the sea was so rough that at times the water came right up into the ship. At one point, my mom fell and suffered huge scratches on the side of her body and huge black bruises on her leg and arm. I would not recommend this cruise for the elderly or disabled as it was very difficult to get around with all of the "stuff" on the ship (it is a pirate ship after all).

Overall, we had a great time and I would definitely recommend the Lord Sheffield, despite how very sick I got.

1  Thank SizzlingSkies