“Delicious!”

Description: St Maarten
East Northport, NY
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

After hemming and hawing over which restaurant to dine in one night, we settled upon Cafe on the Bay as we did not want to go into Philipsburg with so many cruise ships in town. We were not disappointed. Although this restaurant was a little hard to find, (it's closer to Simpson Bay, across from the Megaplex behind the First Caribbean Bank.) it was well worth the trouble. The food was phenomenal and the atmosphere was really romantic. Our waitress was very friendly, we had excellent service. I had seafood pasta while my boyfriend had the grouper. Both were delicious. The portions were decent and the prices were fair. There was a singer on the patio who added to the romantic atmosphere... All in all, a great experience. We both can't wait to dine there when we return to St. Maarten.

1 Thank lilac0427

New York, NY
“Excellent Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We were referred to this restaurant by a local resident, who located from the northeast and we were so glad he told us about it. The staff is very friendly, it is a family run business and they make you feel very welcome. They have a wonderful happy hour, half price appetizers and drinks. I think the cosmopolitans were around $3.00 for the duration of the happy hour (I believe it was 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., but just double check with them if you don't want to miss it). They are in a beautiful spot right on the lagoon, where you can sit on a comfortable sofa or a large chair and take in the view of the lagoon and the sun setting behind the mountain while you sip your happy hour cocktail and enjoy the shrimp tempura, which we all thought was delicious, and not at all difficult to manage. The fried calamari appetizer was also really well done, crispy and tender and tasted delicious. The live entertainment is perfect, and adds to the relaxing atmosphere of this restaurant. Our dinner was excellent, we had the grouper which was the best I've ever had. Another person in our group had the tenderloin with shrimp which was done perfectly, and very delicious. They offer a variety of sides, the sauteed potatoes were my personal favorite. The vegetables were tasty and cooked just right, not overdone. We also tried the mussels in garlic sauce, which were delicious, and a ceasar salad, also very good. We were in St. Maarten for 7 days, and we went back to this restaurant twice, since we really enjoyed the food as well as the atmosphere. Definitely give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

2 Thank travel4NY
Willemstad, Curacao
“Nice dinner but needs to work on some details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I am giving this place and average rating because nothing exists between Average and Very Good. I would say this place is good. Location is nice, staff is nice and doing a great job, Food is nicely presented and is good. The fish dishes in our group had a bit too much salt not that it was bad but it was noticeable. Appetizers, Soups, Tempura shrimps were very good. We had no desert this time.
The details I am, referring too are the following. We were the last one there but way before their closing time and they started taking away the tables and chairs around us leaving sitting on a empty patio. Don't get me wrong the staff did not do anything to make us feel not welcome but according to me it is something you do not start doing if it is over an hour before your closing time. The shrimp tempura was nicely served in a tall glass but the glass was too tall to eat from it comfortably.
So all by all we had a good dinner and a great time there but there are some details that can be better for me to qualify this place as very good. I would certainly recommend someone to go there but I would not go back any time soon considering all the other places on Sint Maarten I still have to try out.
By the way the live entertainment was good

1 Thank huub9999
Ghent, Belgium
“A welcome change from the soup kitchen aboard your cruise liner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were on an 8 day company trip aboard the Costa Luminosa. Our third year in a row, so we knew the food aboard Costa cruiseships can be compared to soup kitchen of the worst kind. In my opinion there aren't a lot top restaurants in the Carabbean, so we were quite surprised about the location, the cleanliness, the hospitality and the delicious dishes we were served here. They also have the better wines by the glass.
We did never meet quality like this again on our further trip.

• Visited March 2012
Wantagh, New York
“A little hard to find, but well worth looking for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Café on The Bay can be a little difficult to find, but it is truly a hidden gem and worth looking for. The fact that it is (was) listed as being located in Philipsburg here on Tripadvisor is a bit of a problem too.

Al fresco dining and live entertainment with excellent food and service makes this a restaurant ‘not to be missed’. Our waitress Jose (pronounced Yo-say) was just delightful. We look forward to returning to Café on The Bay on our next visit.

• Visited March 2012