“Looked & Tasted like puke”
Review of Oualichi

Oualichi
Ranked #25 of 103 Restaurants in Philipsburg
Cuisines: Bar, Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Looked & Tasted like puke”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I think the picture says it all ... it looked horrible & tasted even worse.. I dont know what got into me to even try this place.. I should have gone to the resturant exactly opposite to it
I had to play scavenger hunt in the 2nd dish to find the red curry

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ajita W

Seattle, Washington, United States
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We walked the entire boardwalk before deciding for a place to eat and we enventually laded on Oualichi. The service was a bit slow, even though we were only 1 of the 4 tables in the place. However, when the food came it was probably one of the best plate of Ribs I had in the caribbean. I would rate this place much higher, but my girlfriends dish was not nearly as good. She ordered the bbq chicken and it came out very thin and dry and with a side of grocery store style bbq sauce.Also, when the check came they already have the gratuity included in this "service charge" so I almost double tipped them but luckily my card came back rejected because I didn't tell them I'd be in a foreign country, so I was able to pay cash for the exact amount.

Wouldn't be my first place to return in St. Maarten but I would probably eat there again.

Calgary, Canada
“Bad service, bad food, and a lie”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped here for a quick drink and appy -- not a good idea.

I ordered a glass of red wine (a Cabernet) -- received a white one. We asked for a light appetizer and received a heavily battered deep fried one -- Nems Chicken rolls.

When the bill came it seemed excessively high -- so we asked if the tip was included. We were told no -- so added a tip. This seemed really high - so we went to ask a manager and he said the 20% tip was included. We made them give us back the '2nd tip'.

Not impressed with the lie or the food or the service. I would avoid this place.

Whitby, Canada
“Horrible food!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We visited a string of restaurants while in St Martin both on the French side and the Dutch side and all I have to say: What a HUGE disappointment! Not only was the food disgusting but the service wasn't great either. I ordered a Fritto Misto which is an assortment of fried calamaries, fish, shrimp and mussels. First of all, when I got my plate, the fried food didn't look appetizing, the calamaries were transparent and seemed to have been fried too much, the taste wasn't much better either. I only had one shrimp in the whole plate! My husband and 4 yr old son ordered fish and chips. He wasn't very happy with it either. While helping my son to eat his, I discovered fish bones in the fillet. Now I've had fish and chips in lots of places so far but never with bones especially one being served to a kid. When I mentioned this to the server and showed him the bones on the plate, he didn't even apologise or offer a discount or anything, which I think was very rude and not very good customer service. I also agree with the previous review of adding 20% service charge, for what? there was nothing about the restaurant that would have made me tip the server. Please if ever you are going to this beach front in Phillipsburg, make sure you don;t go there!!

Tenerife
“Rip off service charge”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The beach resturant looks inviting and is reasonable clean. A good menu for a snack although a few more options would not go amiss. It was quiet when we went. The meal was average. The burger was good the bread a let down. I had goats cheese salad but more lettuce than anything else. Some more tomatoes and the introduction of cucumber and peppers would have been nice. It came with Parma ham which was a waste more salad and fruit less lettuce would have been good.
I thought the food was overpriced for what it was. Bread was served with salad but it was not fresh and did not come with butter. The sting came when bill came. They had put on 20% service charge which was way out of line. I like to tip if I think it has been good service. But it seems it is common practise to put 15% on but 20% was way out of line especially for a nothing special meal and service. We queried it and was told that was standard which it is not. We refused to pay and suggested they bring bill back with 15% on . A French man did he hadn't waited on us he was sat on a table smoking and drinking. He said the boss wasn't pleased and it would come out of his pocket. But I thought that service charge went to staff and not bosses. No where does it state on menu 20% service charge. This I think is a real rip of and taking advantage of tourists. 20% is way over the top it is only a snack bar. Would not use again. Plus service charge is only supposed to be on food at least it is in England.

• Visited April 2013