Tamarind Hotel
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$169
Vicky's Keys(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$60
Alicia's Inn(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$87
Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$100
$96
  • Breakfast included
$65
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
Holland House Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$215
$201
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsswimming poolsint maartenunitsislandstudio
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel was terrible.
It is a series of efficiency rooms with minimum cooking facilities.
The hotel also offers television if you are willing to pay a USD $10 deposit for the remote controll.
That describes it all…
Only for backpackers..it has no beach, no view; is in the midst of an industrial park, it is a terrible place to sat on a beautiful island.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank miamisaks
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2015

I am sorry for a late answer to you're comments on trip adviser, I was looking for your name in our reservations but could not find it. This tells me that unfortunately the apartment you rented was not among the rooms managed by the hotel. A few apartments are owned and managed by the individual owners . In future if you want a better experience, I suggest you book through the Hotel . Our phone number is +1721 5424359. Also we have a wide range of self catering accommodation available to suit up to parties of 6 people. I presume your stay was in a studio apartment managed by an individual owner

Tamarind Hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

If you're looking for a beachside hotel or a five-star all-inclusive, "this ain't it." Last year we stayed for a month; this year for six weeks; and we've booked another six weeks for next year. The Tamarind has its own charm that for us is a welcome relief - believe it or not - from the major corporate tourist structures that, yes, have their own benefits. The staff went to great lengths last year to live up to their commitment to us of a full kitchen,and went so far as to install a new fridge and stove. We had a one-bedroom apartment with a nice balcony, tv and internet. As a very active couple who have been married for 40 years, it reminded us of our first apartment, and that was part of the nostalgic charm for us.

As for the location, it is not, as the previous one-night-stay reviewer commented, in the "industrial" area, but is certainly next to it. But no big deal. No noise. No bad smells. Just a few warehouses for the shipping business. Right across the street is a garden centre. Although you have to watch your step along the way (this is the Caribbean, not your home town) it took all of an easy 15 minutes to walk to Chestefields waterfront restaurant and Phillipsburg. Not a big deal. Remember, too, that on St. Maarten/Martin you need a vehicle to get anywhere, and will want to rent if you're staying for any length of time.

The grounds are very nice and, most of all, everyone there is very nice. If you're staying for more than a week, you can feel part of a community, just as you would if you moved into an apartment block.

If you want to spend $2,000 USD or more a week to live like a rock star, that's up to you. We've done it lots of times, too, especially when the kids were in their teens. But now, for the value, for our preferred pace of life in a long-term winter vacation mode, and the lovely absence of commercialism, the Tamarind is our residence of choice on "The Friendly Island."

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanadaCouple2014
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed at the Tamarind for a night after my cruise on Island Windjammers, and would give it a less than stellar review. When we arrived, the clerk said they had no record of my reservation - even though I had the paperwork. While the room was spacious, only the bedroom had air conditioning. And finally, we were unable to use the pool because a family of other guests had commandeered it for a party that included kids running on the pavement, splashing and throwing things from the pool to the lounge chairs and several jumping into the pool from a railing.

The biggest flaw with this hotel, however, is its location. It's located in an almost industrial area outside the cruise terminal. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to walk anywhere from here, let alone into downtown Phillipsburg. So I'd only recommend it if you have your own car - and even then, parking was restricted.

I'm likely to go back to St. Maarten in the future and would definitely consider other options.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisAroundTheWorld

n 2011 the current management company took over what was then a fading tamarind, now in 2015 the hotel as well as the area has so much more to offer, many rooms have been renovated and within 2 minutes walking distance there are now 3 supermarkets, within 10 minutes walk a Chinese restaurant and a very decent sea food orientated restaurant called Chesterfields. We consider the Tamarind to be in the higher end of the budget accommodation market. We are not pretending to be something we are not, what we offer is good decent, safe accommodation with free parking, free wifi, and 24hr desk and security. The town of Philipsburg and the boardwalk is less than 15minutes walk from the Hotel

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the Tamarind hotel from 30 April 2013 until mid-July 2013 until I found my own apartment on Sint Maarten.

The reception when I arrived was amazing. I have travelled around the world, stayed in many and the nicest hotels, but I never got such a reception as at this hotel. I was received with open arms by the hotel manager and staff. And this same friendliness continued during my stay! My room was great, spacious, clean and with comfortable with a balcony, kitchen, wifi and all the trimmings. The swimming pool was just in front. The hotel just got everything you need, there is also a laundry facility and at reception there are snacks available. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They were happy to provide me with anything I needed. At night there is security, so it is a very safe place. The manager genuinely cares for this hotel with his whole heart. The hotel is in Point Blanche, a quiet and safe area. It is very close to the Cruise Pier and a 10-15 minute walk to the centre of Philipsburg. Closeby are some nice restaurants, like Chesterfields and The Greenhouse. The ferry to St. Barth's leaves from Bobby's Marina, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It has been a wonderful stay. Many thanks to the Tamarind-staff and all the best for the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Christian_Sneek
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had the pleasure of spending a wonderful seven days at the Tamarind Hotel this past June, 2013. Mr. Paul Ingram, Henne, Mary as well as the staff, made the stay comfortable and enjoyable. The grounds are well kept and maintained as if in a botanical garden with the flowers in full bloom upon my arrival. Rooms are clean compact and equipped with the essential needs to be able to cook for one self.

Paul has been working hard in upgrading the premises and they were renovating a couple of units while I was there, with new flooring as well as new electrical in the walls. The pool is maintained daily and is the hub of the complex being centrally located. While the hotel is not on one of the many beaches, it is withing walking distance to Philipsburg and the bay with a boardwalk and many of the wonderful restaurants serving fresh daily catches. One does not go to the islands to eat steak with all the great seafood available.

I had a rental car from ACE for about $120.00 for the week and spent about $40.00 on gas touring the whole island. It was small economy vehicle and I would not recommend anything larger due to roads and peoples driving habits on the island.

Will be returning in March of 2014 for a two week stay at the the Tamarind!
Janusz Janas, Austin, TX.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-5 did have some morning rooster activity.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo