“Think "Apartment" and You'll Love It”
Review of Tamarind Hotel

Tamarind Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed February 15, 2014

If you're looking for a beachside hotel or a five-star all-inclusive, "this ain't it." Last year we stayed for a month; this year for six weeks; and we've booked another six weeks for next year. The Tamarind has its own charm that for us is a welcome relief - believe it or not - from the major corporate tourist structures that, yes, have their own benefits. The staff went to great lengths last year to live up to their commitment to us of a full kitchen,and went so far as to install a new fridge and stove. We had a one-bedroom apartment with a nice balcony, tv and internet. As a very active couple who have been married for 40 years, it reminded us of our first apartment, and that was part of the nostalgic charm for us.

As for the location, it is not, as the previous one-night-stay reviewer commented, in the "industrial" area, but is certainly next to it. But no big deal. No noise. No bad smells. Just a few warehouses for the shipping business. Right across the street is a garden centre. Although you have to watch your step along the way (this is the Caribbean, not your home town) it took all of an easy 15 minutes to walk to Chestefields waterfront restaurant and Phillipsburg. Not a big deal. Remember, too, that on St. Maarten/Martin you need a vehicle to get anywhere, and will want to rent if you're staying for any length of time.

The grounds are very nice and, most of all, everyone there is very nice. If you're staying for more than a week, you can feel part of a community, just as you would if you moved into an apartment block.

If you want to spend $2,000 USD or more a week to live like a rock star, that's up to you. We've done it lots of times, too, especially when the kids were in their teens. But now, for the value, for our preferred pace of life in a long-term winter vacation mode, and the lovely absence of commercialism, the Tamarind is our residence of choice on "The Friendly Island."

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanadaCouple2014

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed at the Tamarind for a night after my cruise on Island Windjammers, and would give it a less than stellar review. When we arrived, the clerk said they had no record of my reservation - even though I had the paperwork. While the room was spacious, only the bedroom had air conditioning. And finally, we were unable to use the pool because a family of other guests had commandeered it for a party that included kids running on the pavement, splashing and throwing things from the pool to the lounge chairs and several jumping into the pool from a railing.

The biggest flaw with this hotel, however, is its location. It's located in an almost industrial area outside the cruise terminal. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to walk anywhere from here, let alone into downtown Phillipsburg. So I'd only recommend it if you have your own car - and even then, parking was restricted.

I'm likely to go back to St. Maarten in the future and would definitely consider other options.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisAroundTheWorld
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2015

n 2011 the current management company took over what was then a fading tamarind, now in 2015 the hotel as well as the area has so much more to offer, many rooms have been renovated and within 2 minutes walking distance there are now 3 supermarkets, within 10 minutes walk a Chinese restaurant and a very decent sea food orientated restaurant called Chesterfields. We consider the Tamarind to be in the higher end of the budget accommodation market. We are not pretending to be something we are not, what we offer is good decent, safe accommodation with free parking, free wifi, and 24hr desk and security. The town of Philipsburg and the boardwalk is less than 15minutes walk from the Hotel

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the Tamarind hotel from 30 April 2013 until mid-July 2013 until I found my own apartment on Sint Maarten.

The reception when I arrived was amazing. I have travelled around the world, stayed in many and the nicest hotels, but I never got such a reception as at this hotel. I was received with open arms by the hotel manager and staff. And this same friendliness continued during my stay! My room was great, spacious, clean and with comfortable with a balcony, kitchen, wifi and all the trimmings. The swimming pool was just in front. The hotel just got everything you need, there is also a laundry facility and at reception there are snacks available. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They were happy to provide me with anything I needed. At night there is security, so it is a very safe place. The manager genuinely cares for this hotel with his whole heart. The hotel is in Point Blanche, a quiet and safe area. It is very close to the Cruise Pier and a 10-15 minute walk to the centre of Philipsburg. Closeby are some nice restaurants, like Chesterfields and The Greenhouse. The ferry to St. Barth's leaves from Bobby's Marina, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It has been a wonderful stay. Many thanks to the Tamarind-staff and all the best for the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Christian_Sneek
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had the pleasure of spending a wonderful seven days at the Tamarind Hotel this past June, 2013. Mr. Paul Ingram, Henne, Mary as well as the staff, made the stay comfortable and enjoyable. The grounds are well kept and maintained as if in a botanical garden with the flowers in full bloom upon my arrival. Rooms are clean compact and equipped with the essential needs to be able to cook for one self.

Paul has been working hard in upgrading the premises and they were renovating a couple of units while I was there, with new flooring as well as new electrical in the walls. The pool is maintained daily and is the hub of the complex being centrally located. While the hotel is not on one of the many beaches, it is withing walking distance to Philipsburg and the bay with a boardwalk and many of the wonderful restaurants serving fresh daily catches. One does not go to the islands to eat steak with all the great seafood available.

I had a rental car from ACE for about $120.00 for the week and spent about $40.00 on gas touring the whole island. It was small economy vehicle and I would not recommend anything larger due to roads and peoples driving habits on the island.

Will be returning in March of 2014 for a two week stay at the the Tamarind!
Janusz Janas, Austin, TX.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-5 did have some morning rooster activity.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JANUSZ J
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We lived in SXM for 6 yrs. I spent the last month at the Tamarind with 3 children as a little vaca before leaving. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
It is a relaxed atmosphere. A real family place that didn't feel hotelish. More like a little community. We loved it. It is close enough to the action of town without being far enough away to have the peace.
The room was a 1 bed, basic but with everything you need. Clean and comfortable. The staff were easy going and helpful and friendly. My kids had a blast and loved having a pool. I can't think of anything negative. It was an awesome time. Thank you Tamarind staff for making our last month in SXM one we will never forget. Oner day we hope to be back and will be running to The Tamarind:)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travellers5forever
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just returned from a short break, 10 days, at The Tamarind, the booking was made at short notice and unfortunately the only room available was back onto the farm with the cockerel. However, this room, 12, must have better glazing than the others I've stayed in as I was not woken once by the cockerel. Barking dogs also seem to have lost their voices, even decided to use the balcony for a couple of really relaxing days, so peaceful. The improvement that Paul is putting in place are also making a difference. Hope to be back in St Maarten in November, and it will be to the Tamarind.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here, due to an unexpected stay on St. Maarten, after our flight to Saba couldn't land there due to dangerous wind conditions. With the Regatta in town, we couldn't stay nearer the airport but we were very happy with this hotel. Small room with an even smaller bathroom, but also kitchenette, and everything was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. The grounds looked beautiful, but we didn't have much time to enjoy them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
Belair Beach Hotel
Belair Beach Hotel
#4 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Tamarind Hotel? Share your experiences!