“Wonderful Visit”
Review of Tamarind Hotel

Tamarind Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending 8 days at the Tamarind Hotel and each day was nothing but fun from dawn to dusk. Every member of the staff we met where extremely pleasant and would gladly go out of their way to make our stay the best. Our room was very comfortable, immaculately clean and a pleasure to stay in. Paul, the managing director, has been lovingly upgrading the hotel and it is rapidly becoming something special. He is turning the grounds into botanical gardens with tropical plants to feast your eyes on. The Deli had excellent food to start off the day or enjoy for lunch. Each day we took the short walk into Phillipsburg to enjoy the boardwalk, beach and exceptional restaurants. We can't wait to return to St. Maarten and the Tamarind Hotel. We know it will once again be a very memorable vacation.
K and K, Old Lyme, CT

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ken K
There are newer reviews for Tamarind Hotel

Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed at the Tamarind for the month of January 2012. We had stayed for only one week last January. I can only use the comparison of two other properties we stayed at on St. Maarten for a month each time. We stayed at Great Bay Villas on Front St. twice and Ocean's on Front St. twice. I think the Tamarind is an older property but certainly taken care of properly. The unit we had was clean and neat. The price to stay a month with utilities was much less than anywhere else on the Dutch side. They have done much to make the grounds gardenlike since last year. The pool is very well maintained. The management staff is friendly and outgoing. If you are looking for new and luxury you probably will not be happy. Other reviews have mentioned roosters crowing, dogs barking, etc. The other properties we stayed at also had those island noises. Shut the windows in the bedroom and turn on the A/C.

Room Tip: All units are unique so hard to make recommendations on rooms. One-bedroom in front of building is...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beverly Z
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've stayed at The Tamarind on and off for many many years and in the past I've had some of the problems mentioned in other reviews, and worse. No hot water for 5 days on one trip, cool showers are not he end of the world in the tropics. However, this is the first review of The Tamarind I've posted because it is so improved. It is under new management and Paul the new MD is already showing that the old Tamarind is dead and buried. Accept that it is high end budget accommodation and you won't be disappointed, hire of a car is useful, but I'd do that for many places on SXM. The new deli is ideal and makes staying there so much better, the pool is now always clean and the grounds likewise. The room was typical Tamarind, I've never been in a room that wasn't clean and wonderfully maintained that way, the ladies who do the cleaning are great. Accept that it is surrounded by local residents and enjoy added local atmosphere at no extra charge.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Tim S
Reviewed December 5, 2011

In the middle of an industrial area. The rooms were cleaned but still dirty (e.g. stains in the curtains), the one we got was smoked in. And yes; if you are near the reception you will be up all night because of the next door chicken coop.
Beggers cant be choosers, so if you are on a tight budget, you could check it out. They asked well over $ 300 for a 3 night stay....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2015

n 2011 the current management company took over what was then a fading tamarind, now in 2015 the hotel as well as the area has so much more to offer, many rooms have been renovated and within 2 minutes walking distance there are now 3 supermarkets, within 10 minutes walk a Chinese restaurant and a very decent sea food orientated restaurant called Chesterfields. We consider the Tamarind to be in the higher end of the budget accommodation market. We are not pretending to be something we are not, what we offer is good decent, safe accommodation with free parking, free wifi, and 24hr desk and security. many of the apartments beside the chicken location have been fitted with hurricane proof windows which block out a lot of outside noise.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Before my vacation in Sint Maarten I read a couple of reviews regarding the Hotel and location and discomforts of fellow travelers.
However when i arrived on sunday the 27th of February i was shown to the room, and well i was not expecting anything less. The bed was nicely made and the bathroom/room were clean.
The first night I have to admit was a little short, the room was located on the back and my neighbours were the wonderful chickens and rooster, they decided to wake up at around 3.30 AM and when thinking that a rooster will just make noise for 1 time and thats it your WRONG haha. The first sound at 3.30 AM was not all the time but at round 5.00 AM they are fully awake, and yes i was bothered by them and woken up by them. But have to say even though hotel was fully booked after a couple days I got used of the noise in morning and slept through most of the time. During the day however if you are stuck in the hotel like me it can be a little annoying but then when you think where you are you forget the chickencoop and YELL I'M IN SINT MAARTEN BABY!

The Staff working at the Tamarind are so friendly, they helped me in the best way they could and were always in for a chat, they speak French, Dutch & English so i think you will be just fine. The housekeepers also 2 friendly ladies who made up my room everyday and i never had a complain.

Or well there was one issue but was not a big problem and resolved right away. Basicly the location is good (very close and walkable) to Philipsburg, and i really enjoyed my stay in Sint Maarten. I'm happy i chose to stay at the Tamarind and for my next visit i will go for sure to the same place!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RoseArya
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My wife and I took our "baby moon" to St.Martin / St. Maarten before our first child. We chose the Tamarind because we were on a budget and just wanted a clean and friendly place to do day trips from, and a pool to lounge by. We liked our time there and will certainly go back.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank petemaine
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at Tamarind hotel for one month in November.

I will list why I thought it was a bad experience:

1) My room was next to a hen house with roosters vaking me up at 4'o clock every morning!!!! The manager didn't tell me this before I moved in, she knew the problem however and offered me to be released from my lease afterwards, which I found a quite ridiculous behavior.

2) It is situated in a container harbour. Even though it looks very pictoresque on the website the surroundings are quite dirty and it is necessary to have a car to go to Philipsburg as there are nothing in Pointe Blanche.

3) It took 3 days to get back the deposit deducted utilities even though it should be a simple procedure.

3) The water did not work on several occasions and the bathroom shower was broken

4) The rooms were only cleaned once a week even though there is a 20 % surcharge for room cleaning.

5) If you wanted internet in your room you had to pay 4 $ dollars per hour and rent a modem from the hotel.

Overall not a hotel I would recommend to anyone as it costed 1130 $ for one montth in a really small studio including all the problems described above.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank bagarme

In 2011 the current management took over, things have been steadily improving for the better as you can see from the more recent positive comments.

Sincerely

The Tamarind hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Belair Beach Hotel
Belair Beach Hotel
#4 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Tamarind Hotel? Share your experiences!