Sea Palace Resort
Holland House Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$208
Belair Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)
L'Esperance Hotel(Philipsburg)
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
All reviewspink pearlfront streettime sharegreat baychairs and umbrellasfull bathroomsthe cruise ships leavebeach towelsocean frontwasher and dryerlocal busesevery morningsecond homebars and restaurantssint maartenactivities directoroverlooking the beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed on the 5th floor and had a corner unit. The balcony and view are incredible! The room was clean and had more than I needed. The building is old, but I really didn't care that it was a little outdated. The view is what I was looking for, and I don't think I could find anything better. They have started to do renovations and I think it will be really nice in a few months. It was quiet at night and we had no trouble sleeping...accept the sun comes up very early in St. Maarten since they don't follow daylight savings. I would love to come back to this hotel. Make sure to speak with the gentlemen that works in the office. He was SO SO helpful with making sure we were able to get around the island and see everything!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DefenderResorts, Public Relations Manager at Sea Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! You are correct that we are in the middle of renovating and are working diligently to make sure that anything that could be dated is updated to become top of the line and current.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

First, the hotel was built around 1985.Yes the building is outdated, but keep very clean.Brushing my teeth in a pink sink, does not bother me when it is clean.Starting last May the whole building is going under major up date.Yes it will be very nice.The hotel, which I would call more an appartement building is very well located.Yes front street is a narrow street, but this is the real Caribbean's..I have 3 weeks of timesharing and I will not change my island for any others.
It is friendly and safe.The Sea Palace is a nice place and it is all about location,location.
You want to have a nice relaxing holiday, stress free, enjoy life in a very relaxing life it is the place.Walk on the board walk at 10pm...not a problem, go enjoy a gelato and come back. Sit and enjoy the view, especially if you have a front view.For the price it is excellent.I am looking for a 4th week.This is how much I love my place.all the people that came with us, never they had a relaxing, stress free vacation.The reviews of KTonto and Real in NYC are exact.I fill sorry for Octavia0222, never heard such a bad experience......if so go and see Joe.The place is a quit place,if you are looking for excitement you must go to Simpson's Bay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your review! We know the renovations will definitely update our entire building! We love our location and it’s great to hear that you do as well! With many choices of islands in the Caribbean we love to hear about experiences like yours and why you love this island as much as we do! We strive to make sure all our guests have the relaxing, stress free holiday you describe and urge anyone who has any issues to come see us so we can try our best to help out. Thank you again for sharing – we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a two week stay at the Sea Palace and were extremely happy with our stay. The first week we were on the 4th floor with a view of Phillipsburg and the 2nd week we stayed on the 3rd floor with an ocean view of Grand Bay.
The building is dated but they're in the process of renovation. The location is awesome and our views were million dollar views. The units were very clean and the staff was extremely accomodating. Staying here really gives you the true island experience interacting with the natives and parking on the streets. You might find resorts with finer accomodations but the views and the beach are hard to beat.
If you're planning to rent a car, parking is a little tricky as is most city parking however if you go out during the day, return after 6 pm when the shops close and you'll likely find a spot right near the front entrance.
This location might not be for everyone, but we were extremely pleased. Great Value for the money. FYI... The price of food in the supermarket is quite expensive but we throughly enjoyed our island experience at Sea Palace.....

4  Thank KTonto

We are glad you enjoyed the island and your experience here! You are correct that we are in the process of renovating and hope that when the renovations are complete people love the resort just as much as our amazing views and location! Thank you for sharing your travel tips!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the location on Sunday, July 21 for our honeymoon. Before exiting the taxi we asked the driver three times if he was sure that this was the Sea Palace. We entered from Front St. which looked like a back alley way that seemed very unsafe. Across the street was an old apartment building which we thought was unoccupied until we heard a woman and her baby yelling at someone to open the door. We walked in to the front desk and a guy in street clothes (jeans and a t-shirt) came from somewhere to help us. The front desk was empty. There was NOTHING back there, like it was the old location and they were just meeting us there. When we got to our room the room's view was terrible. I was hoping for a beach side view at least. The furniture and appliances were old and disgusting. I felt like I would not have wanted to use the bathroom for ANY purposes. It was disgusting and the cleaning person was just leaving when we walked in. The room was so bad that we got on the phone with Interval International immediately. We could not stay there. We worked hard to move, but we moved to another hotel after only being there about an hour. We were that disgusted. Some reviews talk about much better experiences, but I have no idea which rooms they were in. We appreciated our next hotel so much better. Someone from our new hotel told us that Sea Palace is usually for the "locals" that shop in the area and just want to stay over just one night, but NOT for someone on an extended stay and definitely not on their honeymoon!

7  Thank Octavia0222

We are sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience that you had while visiting Sea Palace. We have made some changes since your visit such as renovating the resort (which is still in the process) and completely renovating the outside - including the alleyways and entry ways. Lights and safety measures have been added to make sure guests don’t feel the way that you unfortunately felt. We regret that you began your honeymoon in such a fashion. If you are ever willing to give Sea Palace another shot after our renovations are complete we would love to offer you a discount on returning for a anniversary vacation. Thank you for providing us with feedback on your experience so we can ensure that the issues are thoroughly addressed.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my third visit to the Sea Palace. I was there in 2007, 2010 and now in 2013. for some reason, I didn't write a review for 2010. I have to look into that.

The taxi from the airport was a total of $20 for two people. There was no wait for a taxi at the airport.

After checking in and dropping our bags we took a short (10 minute) taxi ride for $10 to the Grand Marche supermarket on Bush Road. You can also walk over one block from the Sea Palace to Backstreet and catch a bus for $1.50 that will drop you off across the street from Mark's Place and the supermarket. The Grand Marche on Bush Road is open on Sundays until 2 p.m. I believe the other locations are closed on Sundays. Before buying the groceries we ate lunch at Mark's Place, which is in the same strip mall, where they serve excellent Caribbean food in addition to a traditional menu.

On the Sea Palace premises is the China Pearl restaurant. They serve lunch and dinner. It's right on the beach so it's great for a midday snack of chicken wings and French fries.

Across the street from the Sea Palace at 116 Front Street is another Chinese restaurant, Shang Bo La. It looks like a hole in the wall, but the food is very good. It's not fancy, but you won't be disappointed by the food. The fried chicken wings are quite good. They don't have hot mustard, so if you are used to that, throw some packets in your luggage.

Be careful of the hot water in the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Its very hot.

The Sea Palace sits right on the beach. It doesn't get better than sitting on your ocean front balcony while you contemplate life or anything else.

The Sea Palace will be undergoing some renovations next year. I can't wait to see what they are going to do.

I found the complimentary WiFi to be very reliable. It even worked on the beach. I was able to get my work and personal e-mail on my iPod Touch. That worked out very well since I don't have international service on my cell phone. If you forget to bring or run out of reading material, there is a lending library with an assortment of books in the lobby. Complimentary copies of the Miami Herald are available I the lobby daily. They do not have an ice machine. There is a small grocery store, Chinese Palace around the corner where you can buy ice, water, etc.

For souvenirs at a discount, try Rema's, which is a couple of blocks from the Sea Palace. Look for the big yellow building or ask anyone. This is where the stores and vendors get their goods wholesale.

I understand that a club, Tantra (Simpson Bay) has Ladies Night on Wednesdays, where the drinks are complimentary for ladies. Admission is free for all. The music is good and the price of the drinks for women is right. It's a mixed, young crowd.

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. If you need anything, it's there or done in a flash. It's comforting to see some of the same staff year, after year.

2 - 2 1/2 hours before flight time is the recommended time that you should arrive at the airport. I don't recommend this, but we went from the door of the Sea Palace to sitting at the gate in 55 minutes. The airport was vey civilized. We used the kiosks to check in (the lines to see an agent were very long) Once you got your boarding pass from the kiosk, you went to a very short line to show your passport, have your bags weighed and hand them off to a baggage handler. They close the flights one hour before the scheduled departure time, so you definitely want to be checked in more than one hour in advance of flight time.

Please see my June 2007 review for more basic information. It still holds true except for any pricing.

I can't wait for my next trip to the Sea Palace.

Room Tip: Ocean front is great, if you can get it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Real_in_NYC

Wow what great tips!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel expertise with our future guests! We are undergoing the renovations you mentioned and we cannot wait to have you stay here after they are complete and hear the feedback that you have about them! We truly appreciate the time you took to share your wealth of knowledge!