“Very comfortable accomodations with friendly service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joshua Rose Guest House

Joshua Rose Guest House
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Toronto, Canada
“Very comfortable accomodations with friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary at the Joshua Rose Guesthouse. The staff were very informative, and very friendly. We were pleased with the room that we rented, there was t.v,fridge, air condition, and hot and cold water in the rooms. The bathroom&shower were clean, the kitchen on the first floor was also clean, and equipped for cooking-(if thats what you wanted to do).

This was not a 5 star hotel, if that's what you're looking for-that's what you would have to pay for on the island of sint maarten/st.martin. For the amount of money we spent-we were more than pleased with the outcome&our accomodations. Our reservations were made months in advance and we were accomodated as per our request. We even received compliments of the managment team- a lovely chilled bottle of rose wine that came hand delivered by the staff with 2 wine glasses to assist with our anniversary celebrations. Nadia and company-hats off to a job well done! I will never forget the 1st anniversary that I spent with my husband, and the Joshua Rose Guesthouse was a very important part of this anniversary...I hope to see you all again. Keep up the GREAT work!

Room Tip: This a an excellent location
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simmy D

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Curitiba, PR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed there for 10 days with my wife in may/2012. It was the cheapest option in the island (US$ 70.00/day). The location is awesome, right in the Philipsburg downtown, where you can reach shops, beach, ATM and buses by walk. The minimarket downstairs helps a lot, when you need something cold to drink. The air conditioning and frigobar (despite being so old and rusty) worked very well.

However, when we arrived at the room, my wife cried. The place was really dirty. The bed sheet and the towels had spots that looked like blood stains. The floor was terrible. The internet didnt work in the first 02 days. The TV doesnt get any channel with minimum quality.

The bathroom was really dirty, as well. The shower is terrible, the water goes anywhere besides your body. The toilet doesnt seem clean at all.

We stayed there because it was the only place we could afford. If you are a single man, low cost, location and AC, may get you comfort enough. But with a girl/wife, and even with children, I dont recommend.

Room Tip: Test the AC.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rafael G

Travelers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed here twice years ago and not recent to this review. It was a value place to stay. There were some issues but I really didn't complain about them. The bedding seemed really old and not very clean. The rooms didn't have good AC. But I was mainly out in beautiful St. Martin and it didn't matter that much. St Martin has beautiful beaches and great shopping. I would recommend Cupecoy Beach down after the airport or Orient Bay Beach. Also Dawn Beach is really beautiful at sunrise or sunset. All the beaches in St. Martin are great and easily accessible. Nobody owns the beaches here except the public - so you have access to them all. It's a great philosophy. You can park at any of the beaches and the hotel that may be on the beach is cooperative and lets you park there for free.

I wish the hotel would upgrade the bedding and make the AC work properly - so that's my only recommendation to the staff. Other than that the staff is friendly and I had no issues. They do run the hotel out of the grocery store - it's not the most professional of arrangements - but it is a value motel. It's very close to downtown - so it's a good location. I was able to park closeby without any issues. Not much else to say - if you're looking for value (cheap) this place is good. I think it's more suited to European's that go along with value based motels - not sure if most "Americans" or uglies would like this place. This is a basic motel there aren't any amenities like a pool. It's basic and just a room close to town. I actually did like it there - mostly because of the value. I'd go back when looking for a basic room.

Room Tip: A value motel
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank personallyme
St. John's, Antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed there to times and I felt the same, its close to all the shopping complex and very confortable for a getaway, Me and my friends stayed there for one week and the second time I went for the Christmas holiday and I felt welcome by everyone. One of the nights I got in there at 9:00 pm and my room was left for me and the rates are good for what you get in the room, most hotels you have to request a mini bar but there everything is there for you.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Sweetlips1990
hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Joshua Rose Guest House is one of the friendliest, cozy, convenient, and well ran places I have EVER stayed at. I stumbled on the place on accident, and I am so happy that I did. It is a family run business, right in the heart of Philipsburg, and the staff made me feel like I was a part of their family. I would recommend JRGH to ANYBODY. It is a great place, and very affordable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank omariferrari
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I stopped here in search of a room and didn't even get past the checkin process before I walked out. The place is dirty and gross the staff seem to careless about the guests so I moved on a found a wonderful place only a block away.

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank azchipka
Rotterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

After some bad reviews here i made a reservation and yes; i like this place! Why? It is centrally located and everything is just a few minutes walking from here; the boardwalk with beach, restaurants, supermarkets and there are busses leaving in front to Marigot, the french quarter and the airport. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is clean and friendly staff. Internet was available and the overall experience was good! Sint Maarten is quiet most of the time. Only busy on the days when the cruise ships are in the port!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank RonRoffa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Sea View  Beach Hotel
Sea Palace Hotel
Sea Palace Hotel
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg
3.5 of 5 stars 193 reviews

Been to Joshua Rose Guest House? Share your experiences!