“Room in the basement and rude rude rude General Manager”

Flamingo Beach Resort
New York City
“Room in the basement and rude rude rude General Manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

My husband and i were looking forward to this trip. It was a celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. When booking we requested ocean front. I followed up with an email to again confirm an ocean front room, letting them know it was a special occasion. I got a lovely email back congratulating us and letting us know that an ocean front room was confirmed. When we arrived we were told there were no more ocean front rooms available and they gave us a room with a view of the side of the hill which at the top of the hill was the parking lot. It felt like a basement apartment in the getto. We went to the lobby to voice our complaint and remind them of our confirmed booking and request a room change. The front desk clerk told me we had to speak to the General manager. He kept us waiting for 45 mintues! And he knew we were in the lobby. When he finally agreed to speak with us he was rude, spoke over us, interupted us, kept demanding "respect" and told us that maybe we should go to another resort!!! FINALLY he agreed to try to move us to another room. Again, kept us waiting for anothre 15 mintues before he sent out the front desk clerk to tell us he moved us to a villa. No offer to help us move our luggage...we had to lug it ourselves. The villa was fine. No view, long walk to the beach, but at least it wasn't in the basement and we decided to make the best of it. Then we used the toilet. Which wouldn't flush. We called the front desk. They said no one was available until the next day. We waited the next morning until 10 am, still no one showed up to fix the toilet after a few calls to the front desk. Finally I'd had it and went down to the front desk. Again I was told to wait for the General Manager. I flipped and told them NO. He then came out of his office, flinging open the door in a state of anger, and told me that because he hadn't had an ocean fromt room for me that nothing would make me happy. I told him that a flushing toilet was the most basic of amenity and it was disgusting that we had now been waiting 16 hours for a flushing toilet. He then made a phone call and sent maintenance.

Was looking forward to a message in the spa. It was a small hut that looked like a made over maintenance shed. Sad.

Beach was nice. Lots of noisy airplanes!!!

I would never go back and I would never recommend the place. We ended up having a great time because of the friends we were there with and the island was lovely. Orient beach was breathtaking. We didn't let this spoil the trip. But stay away from this place. Surly is the only word that comes to mind when thinking of the General Manager. He was the worst and should be FIRED!!!

1 Thank Girlsclub1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

Beaches were very nice, people we met were awesome, hotel staff and 95 % of all workers on the island were very unpleasant, almost made you feel like they dreaded you being there. Dealers at casino's would not thank you for tips or try to talk to you. Very dirty island outside of resorts. This resort was nice and I would stay here again even with the down side of things we had a great time with the people we met. Villas were great. All food was good. Great prices on groceries.

1 Thank meikoOhio
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Flamigo Beach Resort Nov.1-8 2009 and had such an amazing time!! The resort was clean, full appliaces, great location, amazing beaches that weren't crowded, awesome restaurant (Topper's) with even more awesome happy hours!
For the people that write bad reviews on this resort must be trying to look for bad things about it because in the environment that you are in how can you not be in heaven?! I would definitely recommend this resort and island to ANYONE!
We had an amazing honeymoon, would definitely go back!!!

P.S. we didn't even have a ocean view room!! So I can only imagine...

2 Thank KellyTolman
laguna beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

this hotel lacks personality , mediocre staff , but is very well situated , and the suites were extremly well stocked , we did have to cahnge rooma after checking in , the room we were assigned wasn't ready the 2nd room had toilet plumbing problems , when we returned again to the desk the manager was there and had as immeditly put in a servised suite .
What a suprise , the room was great , fully stocked , silverware , glassware , dishwasher , very impressed , and clean .
The hotel has lots of " Family Entertainment " everyday by the pool , and if I was with a family it would have been excellant , as a couple we enjoyed it anyway , great views but not to close of the crazy airport runway .
We both felt it was very good value.
There is a grocerystore nearby , and we greatly enjoyed the resturant Toppers on the beach , outstanding servise there and great food.
However , the hotel staff do not know what service is , and our room change situation I feel was only rescued by the fact the manager was there when we came to ask for another room , otherwise I think the " charming " 20 something if that desk clerk would have had us put in a garage - judging by her attitude - and the other staff we interacted with in the hotel.
While we were there I recieved an urgent email from my bank to contact them regarding " irregular check card activity " the charges for making a COLLECT CALL to the bank are a total of $317 for a 15 minute call , which quite took me aback , but didn't want to argue as we were leaving for another Island and had a flight to catch.
Apart from that .... thought the place was great , and a wonderful sunset view

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank freshbrit
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

We are owners at another Diamond resort and traded through Diamond into Flamingo beach for an 8 day stay (Oct. 25-Nov.2). We were in a Deluxe Studio oceanview suite. We absolutely loved the resort. We had read many reviews prior to our arrival and they were generally very accurate. A few things worth noting: never had any problems with the staff at the resort, all were friendly and professional. Maintenance items were tended to quickly and satisfactorily and were not major issues. Never had an issue getting beach chairs or palapas when desired.

The snorkeling on the reef at the resort was the best on the island, at leat while we were there. The French bakery right across from the resort was closed for remodeling, although the restaurant upstairs was still open.

Didn't eat at Toppers, except to have a cheeseburge on the beach one day (which was tasty).

Scoped out the Diamond Royal Palms just up the road to satisfy my curiousity as to which was really better and after checking it out and talking with some regulars, decided that Flamingo beach was the better of the two, mainly for amenities and location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank pdolese
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

We loved St Maarten and this resort. First let me say I got a studio for one week through interval international for $550- a great deal. I believe hotels.com was running a special during this week for $600 as well (Still a great deal). We were upgraded to one that faced the pool and the Ocean. Fabulous view. You get what you pay for- so if you are like us and just need a place to sleep while you eat, drink, and beach hop- this is the place for you. We never had an issue getting a palapa on the beach- but you do have to get there around 7:30 or 8am. The beach at the hotel was quite nice- but there are better ones on the island. Toppers (the restaurant at the hotel) was pretty good. I thought the breakfast was really tasty (I always ordered the gouda, mushroom and spinach omelet). I would go back to this hotel- really great deal for the price. It’s also in a decent location- you can walk down to other restaurants- and I felt perfectly safe walking around alone the neighboring community early in the morning. I would recommend eating at Belmar (great lobster, escargot, and churisco), Lee’s Roadside grill (great drink specials and fish), and if you like bbq there is a great open beach bar / grill across from Belmar. There is also a small French bakery on airport road towards Phillipsburg- wonderful ham & cheese croissants and desserts. As far as beaches go- we went to Maho, Mullett, Cupecoy, Baie Rouge, Friar’s bay, Happy Bay, Le Gallion Bay, and Orient Beach. Baie Rouge was my favorite- but each of them were nice and I would be happy to be back at any of them. Most of them have bars / food- so make sure you take money. We took the dollar van on the main road to Mullet Bay and Phillipsburg. If you don’t have a car – it’s a great way to get around. Look at the sign in the front window and flag them down- it will cost you 1 dollar each way. You can transfer at Phillipsburg for service to Marigot. All in all this was well priced vacation- and I plan to return and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jamienne
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had a wonderful time on our second visit to the Flamingo Beach Resort. We found the staff to be helpful, friendly and willing to engage in insightful conversation about the island. We will be returning as many years as we are able. The atomsphere is very engaging for the couple, family or those of us in the best years of our lives.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CaliforniaWellness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!