“Very nice remodeled accommodations!”

Flamingo Beach Resort
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We thought this was a great place! Our studio unit was very comfortably sized for two adults. It included a full kitchen/utensils. The bathroom was reasonably sized with a hairdryer and we had plenty of towels in the closet for the week. From our front patio we could step out onto the beach or the bar/restaurant. That may not be for everyone, but we are in our mid-late twenties and thought it was great!

Everything in our room was clean and the new cabinetry was nice. There was a tv in the bedroom/kitchen and then another one in the sitting area. We didn't watch it much, but they show NYC area news. The bed would be my only complaint...very firm mattress, but it was king sized.

They had two beach areas and a pool. No hot tub. Both areas were nice and clean with access to either a small bar or the restaurant. The beach had little, shaded hut umbrellas and those were popular. People seemed to reserve them early. We stayed on the resort for two days when we were feeling lazy, but the rest of the time we checked out the AWESOME beaches on the island...way better than the one on the resort. And this is coming from a Florida girl who lives 20 minutes from the beach.

The front desk staff was always helpful with directions and suggestions, but I found the bar staff to be the most helpful. The Peli Deli was really convenient to shop at for water, snacks,etc.

Toppers by the Sea was the eatery at the Flamingo. It is a necessary evil... The food is nothing special, but it is convenient...I urge you not to spend your money on food there. It like a tropical themed pancake house or Denny's that has a mahi mahi sandwich on the menu. They serve american style breakfast and have specials at night. They also have entertainment....we randomly saw a local dance troupe perform CATS from our patio one night. Actually, the dance troupe was the best quality compared to the dude singing one night and karaoke another night. The bar and wait staff were awesome, but the owner(s) showed little tact while we were there on a couple occasions.

The resort was in the midst of renovating, but it did not impact our stay at all. It was never loud or inconvenient. Mostly painting or pressure cleaning..no biggie for us.

We rented a car because we wanted to explore on our own terms. It was an adventure, but totally worth it! The Flamingo did offer shuttles on certain days to the popular tourist spots such as Philipsburg and Marigot.

I highly recommend you check out the little eatery above the french bakery (near the Peli Deli and Red Piano). It was one of our best and most affordable meals...seriously GREAT food. The breakfast at the french bakery is pretty good, but if you go down to the main road you should check out Zee Best Bakery. Great french pastries and breakfast-lunch stuff. Pineapple Pete's and GreenHouse were our worst meals...I will be reviewing them separately on this site.

For fun, we went to Orient Beach and loved it. We also checked out Pinel Island and I wished I had ordered lobster there. They go out to a lobster trap right there in the bay and cook it up for you, then bring it to you on your beach chair. We sat at one of the hut/tables and had a great goat cheese salad and delicious grilled mahi. Pinel had some very good snorkeling, too. Bay Rouge was a more secluded and quiet beach, but had the chair/umbrella rental for $15. It also had awesome snorkeling. We had our best mahi mahi and strawberry daquiri at the first little shack there....I'm not kidding--the best of both!

We also booked a sunset sail/dinner cruise from the resort on the Tango. If I could do it again, I would have done just the drinks-snacks cruise and then ate at the little place above the french bakery by the Flamingo. The cruise was pretty and not too crowded, but that could be due to the time of year.

Random tips--beach shacks have the best food, but you will need cash and it will probably be a 1.3 exchange from Euros to dollars (we never went somewhere that didn't accept dollars). If you rent a car, watch for potholes and speed bumps. Most importantly, keep an open mind...you are not in Kansas, Oaklahoma, NYC, or LA anymore...it is an island full of great people, chill out and enjoy. Don't propagate the ugly american stigma! If they don't have Bud Light...settle for Coors or be really adventurous and have Carib! Carib is my new favorite beer! Way better than corona IMO!.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fishiedelsol
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Beach Resort

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Just returned from our week long trip to SXM. This our second stay at Flamingo. We had a one bedroom unit on the beach. We were unable to get into our room until 4, so we went to Toppers for lunch. It was just ok, we had better meals elsewhere. The unit was clean with plenty of towels and nice kitchen with a blender. We enjoyed the balcony daily, what a way to start the day. Even though during checkin the literature advised that you could not reserve chairs on the beach, I watched many people come out in the morning, get their chairs leave a towel and go back into the hotel and not return until later. This was not a problem by the pool. Be aware that they are working on the hotel, painting the outside of the units and jack hammering the elevator. We were not in the unit most of the day, so this was not an issue, but you need to be aware of this if you are planning to spend time in your room as they worked until at least 5 or later.

They came on Tuesday to clean our unit and left us a note in the door that they would be spraying the units on Thursday. We did not see or smell anything, but they left the bill folded and stapled on the counter that we almost overlooked since it was laying with other things on the counter.

Simpson Bay is a good area as they are many places to eat. We walked down to the bakery (La Sacriere) which has the best fresh bakery items in the area. We found that there were not alot of people at the resort or in the restaruants.

We were able to have to $100 charge for towels along with the $1 a day for children removed from our bill with no problem. We checked out the night before, avoiding the long lines on Sat, allowing us to drop off our keys in the drop box.

Please be aware of your surroundings as crime has increased dramatically since we were last there four years ago. Research the internet before you go to understand what is happening on the island, as people are not being truthful abouth the crimes that are being committed. Take precautions, do not wear jewelry and use the safe that is in the room.

1  Thank vacationlady1
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We used our Sunterra / Diamond Resort points to go to St Maarten and stay at the Flamingo Beach. Not the best Sunterra resort I have stayed at but it was ok. The AC was VERY LOUD and only worked part of the time. Also, one of the elevators had been broken for 3 years (what are they doing with the yearly fees the owners pay?). I used the stairs but there were some folks there who would have liked the use of an elevator. Other than that I liked the beach, the palapas and provided rafts/floats were great. I wish there were some umbrellas/shade for the pool but the pool is also very nice. Serivce was ok. Topper's restuarant on the beach was good with very reasonable prices. I also enjoyed the snorkel trip arranged through the activities desk.

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I traded my timeshare week for a week in St Martin. It was one of the best vacations of my life!!! I stayed in the hillside villas which had been newly built and they were beautiful!! I had more than enough space and a beautiful view of the ocean. I live in Florida so when I travel, beachfront room is not a necessity for me to I tried the villas. It was short walk down a driveway to get to the pool and the beach, but not a big deal for me. I met some other girls who had a room in the main building and we checked out each other's rooms and mine definitely got the top vote. Their room was fine, but was going to need updating soon.

I did rent a car for the week so I could explore on my own. I have never seen so many beautiful, unique beaches on one place. Friar's was my favorite. I also went to Orient . Next time I would like to go to Maho to see the planes over the beach. I also went to Marigot and the Butterfly Farm. The jewelry shopping was unparalleled. If you like escargot, there is a place there that prepares it 20 different ways!!!Delicious.

The pool and beach at the resort was very nice. I didn't eat out much since I had my own food to cook in my villa. I do have to say the front desk staff could have been more helpful, but i think some of this is the "island time" attitude. I have to try to remind myself of this....sometimes it is difficult when people have absolutely no sense of urgency.

It has been awhile since I visited this resort so I would find it interesting to read some of the more current ones.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank pinkkitty427
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We really loved our room and view but we were not told that 20 feet from our door would be construction on the elevator. The morning after we arrived we woke up to drilling and our room vibrating. We spend most of our time out of the room, naturally, but this was definitely something that people should know when reserving a room. The construction is going to continue over the next several months but we highly recommend room 7242 - second floor studio with ocean view. It was a lovely room with a new well stocked kitchen area, comfortable king bed, nice sized bathroom with large shower, a sitting area and table with chairs for meals. The balcony was our favorite, we had breakfast overlooking the beach every day and drinks in the evening. Snorkeling was poor - water cloudy - saw a few fish by the rocks. The staff on the beach and security were all polite and helpful. The pool is a good size overlooking the beach and they have a happy hour 3-5 every day. Toppers Restaurant was very good. Wait staff were efficient and very friendly. Happy hour is 4-6 every night. The first night we had the lobster dinner and it was delicious. We also had lunch there a couple of times and we enjoyed it, don't miss the Topper Salad, fabulous dressing.

When we checked out we had a little issue. We immediately placed our towel cards and room keys on the desk in front of the clerk. When the clerk said the total of the room we responded that it was too high. We asked that he review the bill and he said he would print it for us. He also asked us if we wanted to contribute $12 for a childrens fund and we said no. They charged us the agreed upon $1 per day for the room safe (well worth it) but did not hit us with $50 govt tax. The printed bill showed that they charged us $100 for the towel cards. When I brought this to his attention he did a poor acting job saying "oh no, my mistake." It was the first item on the bill and obviously they try to get away with whatever extra charges they can - be aware - I have read about this in other reviews.

Weather: We were surprised about the daily conditions, always an issue with cloud cover every day but a warm 84-85 degrees. Some days it rained for 20 minutes, no big deal, but the constant cloud cover was disappointing. We have a timeshare in Aruba and the weather is superior, predominantly sunny and bright.

Pinel Island: Don't miss this enchanting place. It was the best day we had on the island. You take a small ferry ($7 each) over to this little island with a lovely beach and two restaurants. Lounges are $15 for two for the day. The lunches are not cheap (ours $44) so if you want to save $$ you would pack a lunch. They have the freshest lobsters, they keep in the sea until you order (see photos). Snorkeling was minimal in comparison to other places we have gone. It was a wonderful relaxing day.

Friars Bay Beach: This was another really nice beach. You can get lounges $6 for two for the day (but they did ask that we eat at the restaurant for that price). The restaurant is the same prices as Pinel Island so you need to pack lunch to save $$.
The snorkeling was good here. We had the cloudy and rainy weather that day - ran into the restaurant until it passed.

Maho Beach: We went over the Sonesta hotel, everything high priced. We had a drink and stayed about one hour and went back to Pelican Key.

Marigot: We tried to get there in time for the market but it rained and they had closed up their booths. The marina was a pretty area and we strolled around for about an hour and then back to Pelican Key.

Restaurants:
The Pelican resort next door has a excellent italian restaurant, Ciao, unfortunely the wait staff was really unfriendly and aloof. We went to this restaurant several times and the same waiter acted like he never saw us, very unfriendly. Do not let it deter you, the food is really terrific and prices very reasonable.

We visited our sister hotel, Royal Palm, and had a good dinner at the Cabana Beach Restaurant. The wait staff there is almost non-exisitent they were so poor, 15 minutes for water, 20 minutes for bread, 20 minutes to get the check, Island Time to Extreme!

The Greenhouse at the Atrium Hotel: We went for the lobster night but by 7:30 pm they only had a 5 lb lobster for 3 people that did not work for us. I had a green salad that was very soggy, my significant other had coconut shrimp that were good but nothing special. Wait staff was okay - they were very busy due to the lobster night.

French Bakery: We had breakfast here on our last morning and it was hilarious. We ordered pancakes and asked for butter and syrup. We received neither and a little syrup on the pancakes. We asked for butter and syrup again and got one pat of butter and a thimble of syrup. When my sig. other went and asked for more syrup they gave him a small bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup with about an inch left at the bottom of the bottle and said "do not use a lot, it is all we have" and that was at 10 AM! We had a good laugh. The pancakes and the pastries are excellent. I heard the restaurant above has good breakfast and dinner.

Car Rental: We rented a car at the airport so that we could visit different areas at our leisure. It is well worth it to rent a car to visit the other beautiful beaches on the island.

Hollywood Casino: This casino is right near the Flamingo and it is fun entertainment in the evenings. We are not gamblers and played the penny slot machines and had a good time.

Peli Deli: High priced - if you have a car you can shop in town at the supermarket. We stopped on the way from the airport and picked up breakfast foods, fruit, snacks, beer and wine (no corkscrew in room, Toppers opened wine for us!)

I would definitely recommend this hotel and st maarten for a relaxing vacation and we would like to visit again.

3  Thank suem1102
Reviewed May 11, 2009

-Front desk staff...every time we needed something they were always helpful such as checking in earlier as the room was ready, letting us do 1-800 calls from front desk for free instead of paying a few bucks a minute in the rooms, giving me towels as we were going away one day in our bathing suit and did not want to get car wet...

-Room was clean, view was great though the railing obstructed my vision when i was sitting down on the balcony and i could see cars parked...ok i am being sarcastic here to sound like the negative reviews. Chill people, if the view is bad where you are standing or sitting move over and go where it's nicer!

-Food...we ate at Toppers 3 times for very good food and service, but for the best food around, you need to go to Pineapple Pete as the food and service was great. Pierre (Pete) runs and incredibly tight ship. On the french side, you need to go to Lolos (5-6 outside grills) in Grand Case as food is plenty, very good and cheap. we did not have one bad food experience and tried about 8-10 places...this is one of the things that makes St-Maarten unique.

-Beaches...the Flamingo beach is cool for sunbathing and jump in every now and again but there as many other nicer beaches (get a car!) on the island. We liked Mullet beach, Orient beach and Pinel Island beach the best. BTW when you go to Orient beach, go to the lower part of the beach (just before the clothing optional area) as the beach chair, umbrella and food is at $1=EU1 and cheaper.

-get a car...unless you are happy to veg by the same pool or beach and walk everywhere, get a car and visit the island. Traffic can be bad but if it is, stop at the nearest grill for a drink and chill while it clears up.

-Go scuba or snorkeling in Grand Case with Octopus diving...read their reviews on here. Plus 2 of the best scuba/snorkeling site on the island is in Grand case (turtle reef and creole rock).

looking forward to go back.

2  Thank mathieu f
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We were extremely pleased with our accomodations at The Flamingo. The room was still being cleaned when we came up but we were able to get settled in while the attendant finished up. Our view was spectacular, overlooking the pool and ocean on all sides. It was so lovely to wake up to that every morning, coupled with the sound of the ocean waves lapping against the rocks. The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed to make meals and we took full advantage of that. We ate at The Greenhouse Restaurant twice which was right down the road and Topper's twice which is on the property. Both had great food and excellent service. On the two days we stayed "home", we really enjoyed what the property had to offer. The beach there is great with a nice little snorkeling area, chairs and umbrellas as well. The Infinity pool is beautiful. They had different activities going on poolside in the afternoon like Bingo. One night, they even showed a movie out there, which we thought was such a great idea. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I would definitely recommend this property and am looking forward to booking my next trip there.

1  Thank chitwngrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 13 in Simpson Bay

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!