First day was absolutely awful, when they mean check in at 4:00, they mean exactly that. We came at 2:00, hoping to check in early, no dice. So we went to eat, came back at 3:30, still no. I went to a table tennis tournament (more on that later), beat every kid there, which was utterly disgraceful on my part, and finally at around 4:20 the maids finished cleaning our room. I was already dead from the flight, and by the time I finished with table tennis, I was out cold till 8:00 in the evening. Basically I feel a day was stolen from me. So plan your trip accordingly. Another issue that I feel needs to be addressed is the beach. There is a competition for the Palapas, basically first come, first served. Therefore people who got up at like 4:00 AM put their blankets there, and were gone until whenever they pleased. The guy(s) who hand out the beach chairs basically care about the money, it was an utter disgrace. If you did not give them anything they had a look on their face like you were the devil incarnated, Also the beach chairs were made out of the cheapest plastic imaginable, worst I ever saw. We left this beach for that sole reason alone. Other then that, this was a fabulous hotel, the room was huge, had all the necessary equipment (free wifi, was a bit of a struggle until they reset the password), Mixer, Microwave, 2 TV's, felt like I was basically at home. The cleaning lady only came on Monday so it was not necessary to tip them every day for basically doing their job (my opinion, some may want their rooms cleaned every day). There was also a swimming pool for the kids, a pool table, and a table tennis table (however this activity was not available from 10:00 to 4:00 due to the nuts from TimeShare. But for anyone who expects competition (like me) do not get your hopes up. For whatever reason these activities drew only kids, and zero adults. I played 3 table tennis tournaments and had zero grown ups to challenge me other then my dad. The activities by the swimming pool drew a lot more grown ups, (mainly because they had kids in the water) The activities were mostly for the kids, and I can respect that, If you do not have someone to play with you, you will most likely be stuck on your own. During my 2 week trip I had one person play a game of pool with me and that was by chance, since me and my dad were walking by, and he approached. However, this was the first hotel that actually had table tennis and pool for free, so I can't really hold any gripes. If you do not have a computer, that is also free, but just like in the room, the lobby computers are very slow. I was really tempted hotel anywhere between 2 and 5 stars, because some was excellent and some was not. However due to the room, and the free activities (albeit the people running the table tennis tournament could have invited more people just by going to the beach, or swimming pool and announcing it), I was satisfied with my trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful white sand, sparkling blue waters, sunny skies - where else can you find all of this but in Saint Martin/Saint Maarten in the Caribbean? When you stay at Flamingo Beach Resort, you will have all of this, and more. Here you can have the most relaxing vacation of your life, or enjoy some of the many outdoor adventures in the area. If you love water sports, you can go windsurfing, swimming and snorkeling. See the scenery on horseback, or go for a hike along the many trails. You will never be bored while you are staying here, unless of course you simply want to sit back and do nothing, which you are more than welcome to do. Just imagine spending a week or longer just lying around on the beautiful beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo, West Indies and Hotwire so you can book your Flamingo Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Flamingo Beach Resort St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg
- Hotel Flamingo Beach
- Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort