“Really hard to grade, many issues, but the overall experience was excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Beach Resort

Flamingo Beach Resort
New York City, New York
“Really hard to grade, many issues, but the overall experience was excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

First day was absolutely awful, when they mean check in at 4:00, they mean exactly that. We came at 2:00, hoping to check in early, no dice. So we went to eat, came back at 3:30, still no. I went to a table tennis tournament (more on that later), beat every kid there, which was utterly disgraceful on my part, and finally at around 4:20 the maids finished cleaning our room. I was already dead from the flight, and by the time I finished with table tennis, I was out cold till 8:00 in the evening. Basically I feel a day was stolen from me. So plan your trip accordingly. Another issue that I feel needs to be addressed is the beach. There is a competition for the Palapas, basically first come, first served. Therefore people who got up at like 4:00 AM put their blankets there, and were gone until whenever they pleased. The guy(s) who hand out the beach chairs basically care about the money, it was an utter disgrace. If you did not give them anything they had a look on their face like you were the devil incarnated, Also the beach chairs were made out of the cheapest plastic imaginable, worst I ever saw. We left this beach for that sole reason alone. Other then that, this was a fabulous hotel, the room was huge, had all the necessary equipment (free wifi, was a bit of a struggle until they reset the password), Mixer, Microwave, 2 TV's, felt like I was basically at home. The cleaning lady only came on Monday so it was not necessary to tip them every day for basically doing their job (my opinion, some may want their rooms cleaned every day). There was also a swimming pool for the kids, a pool table, and a table tennis table (however this activity was not available from 10:00 to 4:00 due to the nuts from TimeShare. But for anyone who expects competition (like me) do not get your hopes up. For whatever reason these activities drew only kids, and zero adults. I played 3 table tennis tournaments and had zero grown ups to challenge me other then my dad. The activities by the swimming pool drew a lot more grown ups, (mainly because they had kids in the water) The activities were mostly for the kids, and I can respect that, If you do not have someone to play with you, you will most likely be stuck on your own. During my 2 week trip I had one person play a game of pool with me and that was by chance, since me and my dad were walking by, and he approached. However, this was the first hotel that actually had table tennis and pool for free, so I can't really hold any gripes. If you do not have a computer, that is also free, but just like in the room, the lobby computers are very slow. I was really tempted hotel anywhere between 2 and 5 stars, because some was excellent and some was not. However due to the room, and the free activities (albeit the people running the table tennis tournament could have invited more people just by going to the beach, or swimming pool and announcing it), I was satisfied with my trip.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Nautilus2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from the Flamingo beach and we have again had an amazing holiday. The room was great, staff were great from the cleaners to reception to entertainment teams, and the location is just perfect with the best beach we have ever seen. Just perfect....we will be back soon

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Sam B
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

We had a good stay at flamingo beach resort. It would of been nice if the maid came every day. The hotel room was fine. We stayed in room 7333 and it was fine. But the glass was broken on the sliding door, the paint was peeling off the drawer, and the sliding door broke to the balcony. The view was horrible, the parking lot and a few palm trees. The location was great, right next to the beach. The layout is weird. You have to take the elevator to the 2nd floor then walk down the hallway to the other elevator and the you take that elevator to the 3rd Floor.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lucas V
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I am one those Flamingo owners from the days when the resort was packed with vacationers. Weddings, anniversaries and birthdays were celebrated in a big way. If you came alone you still would meet a family or a couple that made you a part of their group. A time where the owners got an opportunity to talk to each other. That is no more and what a shame, it would be a perfect spot. The renovations are great, kitchen appliances are the latest and I am lucky I own a corner room with one side facing the pool and the other the beach. The staff is still very nice at the resort especially housekeeping, beach attendants and front desk. The restaurant is another story the service was not great. I had to keep waiting to pay my bill and the Peli Deli morning cashier needs to take a class in customer service( I don't think saying good morning is crime). The other concern I had related directly to the resort was why if your check out is on Sunday that you are being reminded on Wednesday? I don't like being reminded that my vacation will be ending so early.
Diamond Resort Flamingo Beach, you can get 5 stars by just making some slight changes. More families, more couples and more singles is an obtainable goal. Let's feel like a community again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
12 Thank Theofran
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We used our Diamond points to book our stay. The staff were all very polite and helpful. The restaurant at the resort (Topper's by the Sea) was convenient but otherwise average. The resort has one large building on the ocean and has other buildings in the back. I assume if you were lucky enough to be in the larger front building, you had a great view. We however, had a room in a back building near the tennis court that had a view of a parking area and other buildings (I uploaded photos). Our room was clean and roomy. The room included a full kitchen and washing machine/dryer combo. The beach was broken up into 3 different sections by large rocks and was nice and not crowded. The pool area was small but looked nice. There is a grocery store nearby and we were able to book an island tour through the resort. We had breakfast at Bon Appetit twice and would recommend. We also had dinner at The Hideaway (inside the La Vista resort) twice and both experiences were great. I would certainly recommend The Hideaway for a nice dinner. We also stayed at the other Diamond resort nearby, Royal Palm Beach Resort. I would return to the Royal Palm, probably not the Flamingo.

Room Tip: Try to confirm that you're booked in the main building, not one of the ones in the rear. Unless...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Vanessa P
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was a wonderful location. This didn't get 5 stars because our screen door kept falling of the tracks, and we were slightly annoyed with some of the people selling things. The room was spacious, had storage space, and a full kitchen. The central air works well :) The pool was great, with plenty of lounge chairs. They provide 4 large beach towels that can be traded for fresh ones in the lobby or by the pool. Topper's, a bar/restaurant, is right on the resort. There are several restaurants, a grocery store, and a casino within walking distance. The beaches were great too! We would definitely return.

Room Tip: While being close to Topper's is entertaining, I would request to be a few rooms away at the min...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
5 Thank Eisingers
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

When we arrived late to St. Maarten due to some flight problems, we walked into the Flamingo to smiling faces and the can do attitude. We had a GREAT room, that was very clean and welcoming. this is our 4th time at this resort and keep coming back. The staff is great, the location is great and the fellow guests were also great! Racquel Dublin greeted us when we arrived, Armaldo Phelipa, the General Manager, has always been there for questions of help. Last but not least, the activity staff kept everything and everyone smiling and moving! There are free beach chairs and umbrellas, but we usually give the gentleman a few dollars for setting them up for us.There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance and the beach is calm for all ages. You do not need a car if you plan to stay only at this resort, but we always get one.Since we have a car, we usually shop at Le Grande Marche, they have 3-4 location on the island, the prices are not much higher than back home in Virginia. We usually have breakfast and lunch in the condo and dinner out. One of our favorite restaurants was Aldywan, it has Lebanese Cuisine and our always smiling waitress Forzana, was very attentive. We also ate at the Taste Factory for sweets, Pineapple Pete's for fish, The Carrousel for great Gelato and The Harbor Queen for ribs, to name a few. A place that we will go to next time we are in St. Maarten is called Little Jerusalem, I think the owners name is Abraham. We just stopped by to look at the menu and he gave us a sample of this lamb and chicken dish - outstanding! Spent two days in Philipsburg just looking around. If you plan to buy any watches or jewelery, have a good idea of what you are looking for and get some prices off the internet. This way you know if you are going to get a deal. The shop sales people usually have a calculator handy and discount off the suggested retail price, so there is a lot of wiggle room. As usual, the Flamingo did not disappoint, in fact, they keep getting better...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
10 Thank TravelersWeR02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 826 reviews
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!