“Not bad but Diamond can do better”

Flamingo Beach Resort
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just got back from a week here. We are a Diamond members but don't own at this resort so could not be guaranteed an ocean room. Sure enough, they stuck us in one of the hillside buildings, #4, on the ground floor. We had a two bedroom lockoff so the porch on the smaller side ( A side) looked at some plants and a walkway. The balcony on the Larger unit ( B side) overlooked an ugly parking lot and a mound of dirt. For me, a balcony with view is critical since I normally spend a lot of time every morning out there since I arise much earlier than my family and like to have coffee and read there every morning. Looking at the parking lot was depressing. As far as the units themselves, they are a bit "tired" looking and could stand some updating. Our B unit had peeling paint on the walls and chair rails, mismatched cabinet trim in the kitchen and bath, broken dresser drawer in living room, and the A unit smelled like mildew from the first day. While there were basic utensils to cook with,, there was no spatula to flip eggs or pancakes with so we had to ask housekeeping to provide. Neither of our safes worked the first day and had to have maintenance come three times that day before it was fixed. We had three people staying on each side and while there were plenty of towels, there was not ample space to hang them to dry. They need more hooks on back of bathroom and bedroom doors. So my rating of 3 is due to our unit location and the appearance of it. Had we been in a better unit I'm sure my rating would be higher. Our friends had an oceanfront studio in Bldg 7 and loved it. We did enjoy the beach and water a lot My only two complaints about the beach are that Toppers plays mostly 50s or 60s music. I asked if they could change it to reggae, steel drum or calypso music. I was told they like to ease people into their mornings with the slow 50s music . I told them there were only a handful of older folks on the beach, and most of us want to hear island music when on vacation anyway, not oldies that put us to sleep. Later in the day they seem to play pop music. Other complaint is when i ordered one frozen cocktail, the bartender poured ithw whole blender into 2.5 cups and charged me $18. My husband walked up then so we kept all of it. But after that I made sure to tell them I wanted just ONE at a time. It seemed a way to gouge you for more money. Other thing that could make beach better is if they had staff to serve cocktails to us on the beach. The staff was very friendly for the most part. But we would only come back if we were guaranteed an oceanfront room.

Room Tip: Get building 7 ocean side or building 6 villas. Buildings 3 and 4 are the hillside villas that aren...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JerseyBeacher
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Beach Resort

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We love it there, in the last 5 yrs we have stayed at the resort at least 30 times and each stay
was pleasant just like all the previous trips.

The staff is very polite and attentive, upon arrival your treated like an old friend of the family. The resort staff has always been polite and friendly, its clean and well attended. The grounds are always well maintained and its refreshing to see the staff working together to achieve a "paradise setting" Toppers restaurant has a very efficient staff to compliment the feeling of a well organized vacation without any hassles. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping is impecable, plenty of kitchen utensils if you plan to stay in and cook a meal after lounging at the beautiful pool or clean beach with ample chairs and lounges.

We vacationed there for 2 weeks in November celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, the staff send a surprise bottle of champagne and that mage it all the more special...We can't wait to return in May for our spring trip.

Room Tip: Make every attempt to steer clear of the roomd facing the parking lot...it can get noisy out there...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuck D
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for sharing you and your wife’s thoughts about your recent stay here at Flaming Beach Resort. Congratulations on reach such a tremendous milestone, in regard to your 25th wedding anniversary! We are very glad to hear that you liked the special surprise our staff sent to commemorate the occasion. Your repeated business here is also very much appreciated, as well as your recommendation. We look forward to seeing you both again this May.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We spent a month at the Flamingo Beach Resort on Sint Maarten. This makes 24 years of returning to the island and the resort.

It was another wonderful, relaxing stay. The room was ideal, the beach is getting a little more crowded, but that's not a bad thing. We love the "neighborhood" the Flamingo is located it. The fantastic Market Garden grocery, a new upscale wine shop, and the quiet and comfort of the residential area behind the resort.

The wifi in the room is such a help keeping connected to home during such a long stay.

As in the past, we used the gym, located at the Royal Palm (sister resort to Flamingo) and 6 days a week stayed healthy with added exercise. The walk down and back is part of the routine. The gym isn't high tech, but it does the job (we recommend bringing your own towel and some disinfecting wipes). We climbed the hills behind the resort every day. It's a nice safe walk (though the streets are riddled with St Maarten pot-holes), and great exercise due to the steep grades. We walk up and down in a zig zag and so enjoy the views, other walkers, the morning sunshine, and the exercise.

This year, there were more activities at the Flamingo and next door Pelican and the Marina and Aqua Mania--kayaks, more boat trips, and some sort of water jet "flying." Everyone was having fun.

The new bridge across Simpson Bay to Marigot cuts off some miles AND some traffic, offering two routes to Marigot. We mostly walked to where we wanted to go for both fitness and avoiding the traffic challenges.

With a month stay, our fitness plan requires we do a lot of our own cooking, but of course there are great places to eat nearby and across the island. The kitchen areas in the Flamingo are wonderful for easy meals and easy clean up and the balcony dining area is one of my favorite visions of Sint Maarten, overlooking the bay with the lights twinkling from the sailboats and the busy Welfare Road behind.

No room service at the Flamingo.

We'll be back again next year--in fact, I wish we could return for a short stay this summer just to grab a little R&R between long stays!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank cafemom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I generally stay at all-inclusive resorts when we travel so staying at at timeshare type location was a first for us and we really weren't sure what to expect. I traveled with my family - 7 of us ages - 3-68 so we had quite an age range. And since there were 7 of us, I needed accommodations that would be spacious and comfortable. Several months before our stay, I started corresponding via email with a wonderful lady (thanks again Angela) in the reservations department. I had shared with her some info about my family and had made a few special requests, although I knew they weren't guaranteed. Well, I must say that I couldn't have been more pleased with the unit that was designated to us for the week. A two-bedroom lockout unit with two kitchens, two living rooms, two bathrooms, two bedrooms and two pull-out sleeper sofas. The accommodations were very clean and although they weren't on the luxurious/modern side, it had that nice Caribbean decor and feel, and again very clean. We also had two balconies - one with a view of the amazing ocean and the other towards the pool. We were in the beach villas, building #6 and the location was most ideal. It doesn't get any better than this! Close to the beach and pool, front desk, pool bar, etc. With a three year old and two parents in their upper sixties (one with a bad knee and the other with bad asthma) this location was very convenient for us. The pool was nice and clean, there were two private beaches, which were quiet with amazing views. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Toppers on the beach was a quick walk around some of the other resort buildings which was a fun place to eat at. Great drinks, typical beachy food. A little past Toppers was a beach bar that was fun to hang out at. The resort was located really close to town which we walked to quite often. And even closer to the property was Peli-Deli - a very convenient small market to stock up on needed items. Bon appetite was a restaurant right by the property which we ate at often. We loved the food there! Great lattes and pasteries, sandwiches, salads, etc Yummy! And on the walk to town there were several other beach bars and restaurants to enjoy - maybe a 5 minute walk. So not only was the location of our room on the property excellent, but the resort itself is in a great location. There was no work-out facility on the property which is huge for us, but there is one that you have free access to at their sister property Royal Palms. The resort provides a free shuttle to get there, but it was so close that we actually walked though town to get there or took a short cut across the beach. And we've been to a lot of Caribbean gyms and this one was one of the best in terms of space, and how much they offered. I really can't say enough great things about this resort. It was a perfect set-up and trip for my family. I would suggest having staff take drink orders out by the pool or beach, but that's really the only thing I missed. I would totally go back to this resort and recommend to anyone. My only concern is that I wonder if I would like it as much if I didn't have the same room. That would be a must for me. We were just so spoiled and lucky to be placed in building #6. Thank you everyone at Flamingo/Diamond Resorts for a wonderful experience! Hope to be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LIdiva
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for this extensive review of your stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort! We are delighted that you had a great time here, and we feel sure that other prospective guests will really appreciate all the information you’re provided.

We hope you’ll get the chance to come back here, too – we’d love to see you again!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

First and foremost, I have to say, this was part of a package brought to my attention, an offer I couldn't refuse. Additionally, without implying anything, this is not the type of location I'd normally use.
However, despite being in party central of the island, our car park facing studio was surprisingly quiet. Speaking of the studio (which it is, rather than just a room), it probably won't blow you away... unless you're homeless but then you're probably not travelling. It isn't modern, sleek or up-to-date. None of those qualities describe it accurately. What it is, though, clean. Clean, functional, very generous in size although a bit dark as it (unit 7235) looks straight at a wall across the car park.
Is there anything negative about the place? Apart from the door lock working as efficiently as an Orang Utan at a secretary's desk, no. We'd gone through some ten key cards after a week, they just ceased operation. Apart from that, there is a LOT of free parking (I know that because I looked at it for a week), it's quiet, has very friendly staff and a nice beach right out front.
If you're a budget-conscious traveller, this might just be the place for you. If you value simple functionality over appearances and sleek finishes, this will be great.
I have no problem recommending Flamingo Beach Resort, it's a good place.

1  Thank thmsrbr
Reviewed April 6, 2014

visited Sint Maarteen 3/31-4/4 this hotel was great. Yes it is a time share but the rooms we clean and staff very friendly. pool was great and the beaches were clean and private. Happy hour is 1-6. The resort is 5 minute walk from town. My wife and i went there on a short honeymoon and we were so pleased. We wanted to relax and have fun, and we got everything we wanted and more. this place was paradise. We plan returning here next year and many more times

Room Tip: ask for beach view
3  Thank Robert G
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I travel to the Caribbean 3-4 times a years. Our ocean front view was beautiful. Great view of the beach, ocean, coconut trees, and banana trees.The room was well equipped with dishes, pots, pans, and blender. The beach is small but very nice with beautiful sand. There is a gift shop on the property and Marcie beach wear shop. The hotel is close to major restaurants in Simpson Bay. The hotel is very close to the airport which is an advantage on arrival day and departure day.
Disadvantages for this hotel is the fact that there is only one restaurant on the property and they continuously play American music from 1950, 1960's, maybe 1980;s. If you are waiting to hear local music with steel drums or reggae this is not going to happen. Despite the fact that the beach is nice, you have to be on the beach by 7 am if you want any hope to get a cabana. This was the first time that I had the beach staff requested that I get up from my beach recliner chair because the beach was closing and he had to stack up the beach recliner chairs! He did offered me a regular chair to sit in to watch the sunset; however, by that time my mood was not the same. We stayed from Monday to Friday. The room was supplied with plenty of towels and wash clothes; however, housekeeping came on Thursday to clean when our check out day was Friday.

Room Tip: Make sure you are aware of the various room types that are available to ensure what type of room you...
1  Thank Erica B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 13 in Simpson Bay

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!